Streamlight Sidewinder Compact II Review

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes that's the one,I wanted the green led and the light to start on low.Wish it had a red led instead of IR but otherwise I really like the light.

Romanko

Newly Enlightened
Found this pic in one Japan store.
083mc-4l.jpg

It doesn't look like in this one.

13SideWCLEDclose-.jpg

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine looks more like the bottom picture though it is slightly different. Streamlight may use different LEDs with similar performance based on availability since they don't specify and call everything "C4". I know the Sidewinders are assembled in the U.S. using imported components but I don't know if they are also assembled outside the U.S. for the international market.Manufacture outside the U.S. could also explain the use of different LEDs. Potentially could be a mod too since many people want higher output than what Streamlight offers.

streamwald

Newly Enlightened
Hey there - long time reader, first time poster

Great review!
I just discovered the Sidewinder Compact II and I really want it - only thing is that you are not supposed to use rechargeables with it (or any streamlight) and I only use eneloop pros for my flashlights (mostly fenix).

Streamlight cs told me that they did not test it with eneloops and that rechargeables may harm the light, render it useless or even cause a fire.

Did you have any issues with your Sidewinder using eneloops and can you fully use the light and all its modes with them (not talking about output, just whether you can turn it on max without killing the light)

Thanks

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey there - long time reader, first time poster

Great review!
I just discovered the Sidewinder Compact II and I really want it - only thing is that you are not supposed to use rechargeables with it (or any streamlight) and I only use eneloop pros for my flashlights (mostly fenix).

Streamlight cs told me that they did not test it with eneloops and that rechargeables may harm the light, render it useless or even cause a fire.

Did you have any issues with your Sidewinder using eneloops and can you fully use the light and all its modes with them (not talking about output, just whether you can turn it on max without killing the light)

Thanks

Wow, that is a big BS statement from Streamlight if they said it. I've almost exclusively been running the two sidewinders and this compact model on Eneloops. Fully functional with no issues.

The only minor issue I had with the Compact II was when I popped an RCR123 in it. It did not really like the 4.2V, but still worked.

The major difference with NiMh cells is the lower internal resistance and correlating ability to deliver high current. None of the Sidewinders seem that greedy and the output doesn't run away due to the lower internal resistance. I avoid Alkaleaks whenever I can (only some Intrinsically Safe lights I have require them to be IS certified).

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is a big BS statement from Streamlight if they said it. I've almost exclusively been running the two sidewinders and this compact model on Eneloops. Fully functional with no issues.

The only minor issue I had with the Compact II was when I popped an RCR123 in it. It did not really like the 4.2V, but still worked.

The major difference with NiMh cells is the lower internal resistance and correlating ability to deliver high current. None of the Sidewinders seem that greedy and the output doesn't run away due to the lower internal resistance. I avoid Alkaleaks whenever I can (only some Intrinsically Safe lights I have require them to be IS certified).

It sounds like a blanket statement from Streamlight so consumers can't come back on them. The "harm the light....cause a fire" is probably associated with li-ions and keeps any liability from Streamlight should the end user decide to use rechargables.

Last edited:

RFXMM

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I was on the fence as to the shape, but see that the odd shape lends to more options such as clipping to jacket to work with both hands. Thanks

danpass

Newly Enlightened
Nine years later and still, quite possibly, the only AA capable headlamp out there with red (or green) color function. I have two of the Aviator model.

I really hate AAA option, and not just that but triple AAA batteries required!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nine years later and still, quite possibly, the only AA capable headlamp out there with red (or green) color function. I have two of the Aviator model.

I really hate AAA option, and not just that but triple AAA batteries required!

This is a great light. For me the only downside is the parasitic drain especially on plain AA as I tend to have it more as a standby light, not a daily user. This is inevitable though due to the multi-cell options and power circuit required.

Very handy light.

steeps

Newly Enlightened
I had wanted this light for years and finally had a use for one. When taking our dog out before bed I needed a red light with enough throw to see if she went and be able to pick it up. The bugs swarm any white light so I needed red. Most camping headlamps don't have any throw and this one does. If you know of any other red light headlamps with throw let me know. Thank you