Sunwayman C10R: (not) Torpedo

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Re: Sunwayman C10R: Torpedo (Pictures!)

I like the sunwayman lights. Started researching them for a 3rd / 4th light. I'm currently still in the market for a hybrid CR123/AA (like the V11R/M11R with an AA extender) and possibly a 2xAA light.

This also seems like a nice light, even if it wouldn't fit the hybrid CR123/AA criteria.
I just hope it's an efficient light, because at lower power, the sunwayman V-series is nothing short of terrible compared to their M-counterparts. The variable ring takes a HUGE toll on the runtime, which is sad if you don't really need it. The M series offer 3 pretty good levels anyway.

We'll have to be patient for early reviews on this.

Torchaddict

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, they could've done a Google search or something beforehand. But who knows how this long this light has been in development. I guess "guy_with_no_name" will have to change it or something.

I see 3 things wrong with the SWM Torpedo:

1. The screw in keychain attachment looks like it can potentially loosen byitself and fall out! There should be a rotating bearing or something here, not a threaded screw off junction. Not like most will be using this light for keychain duty, which brings me to the next point...

2. No clip attachment as mentioned before. Bad, very bad.

3. Protruding button. Remember when Zebralights kept turning on in their owner's pockets? Well, the Torpedo looks like it will be 10x as bad. I can't imagine why the designers didn't make the button recessed or something.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wait...Torpedo? isn't that the name of the guy_with_no_names 500 lumen AAA light?
Hi Craig,
Wait... yes it is :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulmalon/5939451942/
quick google search: not really. LOL
Craig

Hi Craig,
That 1939 circa torpedo is a very nice find indeed :) I'll have to buy one if I can track one down.

Allow me to add a (polite) "Not really Not really" to your "Not really" :)

In terms of trademark, the 1939 circa torpedo (retired for some 50yrs) is not applicable because to be enforceable, a trademark needs to be either "in-use" or "in-preparation for use" and the similarly named product would need to be in a position to potentially cause confusion amongst customers (new or existing) which is obviously not an issue with the 1939 circa Torpedo and the MBI Torpedo™.

I'm not so sure the Sunwayman C10R would fair as well in the opinion of the USPTO.

It is low from sunwayman...
SFMI4UT
Hi Changchung,
Hopefully just an oversight that will be rectified when Andy/Sunwayman chimes in.

Yeah, they could've done a Google search or something beforehand. But who knows how this long this light has been in development. I guess "guy_with_no_name" will have to change it or something.

Hi Torchaddict,
A search might have been prudent as you suggested but with patents & trademarks pending for the MBI Torpedo™ , I think the "or something" is going to be the better option for Sunwayman.

Sunwayman,
Wishing you continued success with your line of elegant flashlights.
No ill-will intended on my part, but before there is a spread of any diss-information, I thought it best to clarify the situation (before things get too out of hand).

wink2.gif

Tgwnn

indenial

Enlightened

Shoot! Just when I thought I was done buying pocket rockets for at least the next six months, and then SWM has to go and pull me back into the market for yet another must-have! Darnit!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

First post updated with official stats.

bltkmt

Enlightened

I would avoid it just because of the name stealing. My money is with Tgwnn.

GoingGear.com

Enlightened

I'm not sure how enforceable a trademark on Torpedo in reference to a flashlight would be. For instance, I've seen these "Torpedo" promotional lights available from various wholesalers for at least four years now and they are currently very widely available for sale. Whether or not those constitute a mark being used in commerce is for someone smarter and more law educated than me to decide.

Being granted trademarks or patents are one thing. Enforcing them is something completely different. However, I highly doubt any of the wholesalers would bother to dispute a trademark and it would become incontestable after five years (IIRC).

That said, Sunwayman will probably change the name. I doubt they want the ill will. The MBI stuff looks pretty cool and I know they respect good designs. :)

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cheers to openness, however this is resolved. And also, +1 to you all for having pronounceable names (LX2FT or L2P or [etc]), even if they don't describe the product specifications.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would avoid it just because of the name stealing. My money is with Tgwnn.

Men, you read my mine... We are with TGWNM...

I'm not sure how enforceable a trademark on Torpedo in reference to a flashlight would be. For instance, I've seen these "Torpedo" promotional lights available from various wholesalers for at least four years now and they are currently very widely available for sale. Whether or not those constitute a mark being used in commerce is for someone smarter and more law educated than me to decide.

Being granted trademarks or patents are one thing. Enforcing them is something completely different. However, I highly doubt any of the wholesalers would bother to dispute a trademark and it would become incontestable after five years (IIRC).

That said, Sunwayman will probably change the name. I doubt they want the ill will. The MBI stuff looks pretty cool and I know they respect good designs. :)

Cheers to openness, however this is resolved. And also, +1 to you all for having pronounceable names (LX2FT or L2P or [etc]), even if they don't describe the product specifications.

Thanks for all the support:)

Very happy to say I have spoken to Sunwayman and we have resolved the naming issue very amicably :thumbsup:
As I first thought, Sunwayman were not aware that I was using the name.

We had a very friendly discussion and came to an agreement on the matter which Sunwayman will post about tomorrow.
Nice to see professional courtesy in the community and here's wishing Sunwayman much success with the new C10R.

Tgwnn :wave:

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am very pleased to hear this good news and resolution. :thumbsup:
Thank You Sunwayman and Guy for the cooperative effort and outcome.
It brightens my flashaholic spirit to hear something good happen between two manufacturers :)

GL

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great to hear you've come to a resolution!

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened

A big pat on the back to TGWNN and Sunwayman for amicably resolving this conflict. GL said it best, " It brightens my flashaholic spirit to hear something good happen between two manufacturers." :) Makes me proud to be a member of CPF and a flashoholic!!!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast

Post on SWM's marketplace sub-forum:

Regarding Torpedo Name on the C10R

Dear All,

We noticed there is discussion on CPF about the Torpedo nickname on our newly released C10R. Firstly, we did not know it's been registered on flashlight, so it's not an intentional copy, we only thought it as a nickname for the model.

Tgwnn from MBI, the "Torpedo" trademark owner kindly contacted us to discuss the issue. After friendly negotiation with Tgwnn, we both agree to the following,

1- Existing first batch C10R (about 500pcs) will sell with no change to the label.

2- We declare "This limited use of the 'Torpedo' trademark is used under exclusive authorization of MBI, MatchBox Instruments."

3- After this batch, future C10R products will not use the word "Torpedo" on packages or flashlight body.

Sincerely,
SUNWAYMAN

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

As I said in TGWNN's thread...This is how gentlemen resolve (potential) disputes. They talked about it politely and with mutual respect, and BOTH earned a great deal of respect and loyalty from customers. I was already intending to buy TGWNN's product, but Sunwayman is now actively on my list of manufacturers whose products I would be happy to buy should one of their lights meet my needs. Interestingly enough, some of their lights were just recommended to me for a particular purpose, and seeing the way this situation was handled and resolved has tipped my decision making in their favor.

Thank you both for being an example of a spirit that many (though not all) thought was absent/disappeared from CPF and the flashaholic community.