Surefire 8AX replacement bulb

Policetacteam

Enlightened
The bulb just went out on my Surefire 8AX Commander and I'm curious if there is a better or possibly brighter bulb available. I'm also curious if a Cree LED bulb would work in this flashlight, if so any recommendations.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Thanks ccjl3...I am just curious. Can an LED lamp be used in a flashlight which uses an incad bulb or is there some kind of different electronic circuitry at play here!?!

Lightingguy321

Enlightened
Maybe you should try getting a hold of a Surefire KL7 LED bezel. It has a fairly high output, but if you are looking for more output than 100 lumens, try a mod.

lightr07

Newly Enlightened
I'm not fammilar with the Internals of the 8AX but when you screw the head off if you see contacts then most likely a KL7 wouldn't work, If you see the top or bottom contact of the battery (and if you take the tailcap off you see right threw the battery tube) then there is some chance of using an LED mod or a SF KL or KX Series head. (Most likely KL as i don't think the KX series head's come in that high of voltage yet.

(Edit: I did some research and the Battery listed as a replacement for the 8AX (The B90) is also listed as the battery for the L7 LED Rechargable light. So if you got a KL7 head than you'd have a good chance of it working as it seems that the voltage's are the same. Again like i said I'm not fammilar with the 8AX so i don't know if it has the "see-straight-threw" battery tube or one with contacts which would probably have some kind of microchip control with it. If its the "see-threw" than you should have no problem.)

Size15's

Flashaholic
The L7 is an 8AX body with KL7 bezel.

The KL7 bezel fits and functions on both the 8AX and 8NX no worries.

I understand that the KL7 also fits and functions on the Classic 8X as well but I've not seen this confirmed.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
size 15's,

I looked on Surefire's website and could not find the KL7 head. I found the L7 light but could not figure out if the head unit on the L7 is called something else. If the KL7 head works I would be interested in a black bezel. If anyone knows of a Surefire dealer on this forum that is reliable and cheap please let me know. Thanks for all of the help everyone!

qarawol

Enlightened
The L7 is an 8AX body with KL7 bezel.

The KL7 bezel fits and functions on both the 8AX and 8NX no worries.

I understand that the KL7 also fits and functions on the Classic 8X as well but I've not seen this confirmed.

I have the Surefire L7 and all three of the Surefire 8 series (8X, 8AX, 8NX)... all heads are interchangeable. All the 8 series bodies will even fit the T5 and the KT5 TurboHeads.

Njoy...

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
qarawol,

How do you think the throw of the KL7 head compares to the standard 8AX commander head in terms of throw. Just curious!?! This is my primary duty light so it is not only used for traffic stops (up close and personal) but also for suspect searches where a light needs to be able to throw some light at a fair distance.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Here is another question regarding the KL7 bezel. Why is the Surefire L7 light listed on Surefire's web page as 100 lumens but all of the web sites selling the KL7 bezel only show it as 75 lumens?

Size15's

Flashaholic
qarawol,
Thanks - it's good to have that confirmed by somebody who has been physically able to try it.
I have a KT5 myself so I know and I know it is interchangeable with the 8X as well.

Policetacteam,
SureFire revised the lumen output ratings of a number of their LED products following their testing of a large number of production units using correctly calibrated measuring equipment. Previously these ratings were based on conservative approximations following testing using measuring equipment calibrated for incandescent light because there was no time to get a better quality rating prior to the publishing of the catalogues before SHOT Show.
SureFire are confident that their new (current) rating is more representative of production units.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Policetacteam,
SureFire revised the lumen output ratings of a number of their LED products following their testing of a large number of production units using correctly calibrated measuring equipment. Previously these ratings were based on conservative approximations following testing using measuring equipment calibrated for incandescent light because there was no time to get a better quality rating prior to the publishing of the catalogues before SHOT Show.
SureFire are confident that their new (current) rating is more representative of production units.

great...that answers one of my questions. Hopefully someone can answer my questions in regards to throw and flood of the KL7 bezel vs. 8AX bezel. Thanx for all of the productive comments and replies...this is a huge help to me!!!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The KL7 has a very deep reflector compared to alot of other LED lights and as a result has very good throw compared to the average LED light. I have not compared an 8AX side by side with a KL7 head personally, but I believe you will be happy with the amount of throw the KL7 has.

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Besides going with a KL7 head are there any other options or is anyone making a better drop-in?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
its a modder-thing.
the head is large enough for any mod.
afir there are quite some treads on mods, I have a Lux III running on a Badboy with a Modbar optic inside my 8X
(and no time to do the real mod with a Cree/SSC and a Flupic driver and a reflector)

but You might be able to put one of dealextremes inserts (the ones for one Li-Ion) inside.
If it physically fits in the front part, You only need to somehow extend the springs
(there was also a tread on this)

Policetacteam

Enlightened
That sounds interesting but possibly more work than I planned on doing. This is my primary duty light so I don't want to be without it for long. I'm thinking the KL7 head is the way to go. Thanks for the ideas.

gimmejr

Newly Enlightened
Very glad I saw this thread. I think Im going to try and pick up a new head for my 8ax.

Would a new lamp assembly breath new life into my 8ax?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
but possibly more work than I planned on doing. This is my primary duty light so I don't want to be without it for long. .
see the starting idea here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/169311
my posts # 6 and # 8.

Unfortunately I dont think anyone understood me:
make the hole in the 8X head just a bit wider, that that led-insert fits in + bend the outer spring of the insert smaller so it touches the 8X negative battery contact.

imho the lengh of the insert is more or less identical to the normal LA,
+ the insert is centered as it still is pressed against the angeled part inside the head
+ the original LA still works as ususal, when used instead

I would give this mod 30 mins max, as I would have to use a hand file for the hole, have no lathe
next time I order from DX, maybe I'll get such an insert also to try that

Last edited:

Policetacteam

Enlightened
Yellow,

I checked out the link you provided. Very interesting stuff. I think that is what I was hoping for at the beginning of this search. This thread just seems to get a bit better each day. If anyone has done this mod and could provide any pictures..even of the finished product I would like to see them!!!