SureFire A2 Aviator bulb problems.

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Didn't know this thread was still around. The HO-A2 has been working fine except when you lightly press the switch and there's a half dim beam coming out the front.

That's a sign the batteries are depleated. The A2's regulator does that, it's quite fussy about voltage, even apparently good batteries can produce that half powered glow. My 4 square sided A2-BK did that. Haven't had the same problem with my newer round sided one.

jjbovenzi

Newly Enlightened
The light was purchased in July and after two sets of batteries, the main bulb stopped lighting up. It was not burnt and the fillament was intact. I finally got around to calling SF last week and told them the problem after taking out on a hunting trip (brought along my G2Z for the incandescent part). The CSR told me that it was not a warranty problem and I would have to buy a new replacement bulb. After some persistence, he sent me a new one.

I got it yesterday (4 days later) and this new bulb does not have a white output and there some holes in the center of the beam (like a beam with a smooth reflector). Anyway, I just ordered a Lumens Factory HO-A2.

Yes I know I've resurrected a 4 year old thread but I think you'll see for good reason.

I recently picked up a used square A2 Aviator for $50. It needed a bulb and I ordered one from Surefire no problem. I had the same issue with mine as the OP had with his, no illumination from the incandescent bulb but the LEDs worked fine. After scouring the web I discovered that the new MA02 bulbs won't work in the older square A2's. So here's what I did to make it work. Take a small piece of aluminum foil and make a tiny ball with it and place in in the center of the assembly where the center contact point is. Apparently on the square A2's the center contact sits lower and will not reach the bottom contact on the bulb. By making the little ball of aluminum foil you will fill that gap when you screw the head back on. Just make sure you don't make the ball too big so it shorts out on the side contacts. It took me a couple tries to get it right but it works now!!!

Hope that helps someone else who is scratching their heads for the same issue.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could try adding a small blob of solder at the contact point of the bulb as well. I discontinued use of the HO-A2 lamp in Aviators because of the issue with the factory lamps not making good contact after using the HO-A2. You could try an HO-A2 in an older Aviator though as a better fit than the current factory lamps.

Last edited:

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hi,

We have recently changed the design of the HO-A2 lamp to a brand new one that can fit both the older squared bodies and newer round bodies.
Contact and fitment has been improved as well.
You are welcome to buy one for your light to test.
Our No-Hassle warranty and satisfaction guarantee applies for all our products.

Cheers.

Mark

jellydonut

Enlightened
Hi,

We have recently changed the design of the HO-A2 lamp to a brand new one that can fit both the older squared bodies and newer round bodies.
Contact and fitment has been improved as well.
You are welcome to buy one for your light to test.
Our No-Hassle warranty and satisfaction guarantee applies for all our products.

Cheers.

Mark

If you have recently changed the design, can we take that to mean it is not being discontinued any time soon? :sssh:

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Hi Jellydonut,

Yes, the module has been completely redesigned. The bulb is unchanged.

We do not have any plans to discontinue the HO-A2 or any of our incandescent lineups.
On the contrary, I would like to keep them in our lineup for as long as possible.

I think 90% of the manufacturers (if not more) has already discontinued their incandescent products or has stopped support for them completely.
That is why I want to continue the incandescent lineup so Incan lovers will not be forced to go LED.
Although sales are getting slower and slower as the days gone by, I still consider the incandescent lineups to be our core products and an important part of Lumens Factory's heritage.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark@LF

Enlightened
We have the redesigned version in stock now and EDC Plus should have them in a week or 2.

Yes, we were hacked in 2008.
We only use Paypal for payment, so thankfully no Credit Card information or anything was leaked.

After the incident we switched to a new system where the customer's information were not saved and secruity tightened.
All members information were wiped clean.

No more member login and passwords after that, everything is treated as guest purchases and customer's information all wiped from the server after we received it and got it printed out which is basically within 12 hours.
We have never had a problem ever since.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited: