Surefire E1L/ E1E vs Zebra SC31

johnwaynesandw

Newly Enlightened
I am in the market for an EDC light and have always liked Surefire. I only have two SF lights (E2d and Winelight II). I am looking for a one cell FL for edc. Recently I have been enjoying a cheap Rayovac 3 watt with two rechargeable AA's. There are a few things that I do not care for with this light, but it has been a good light for the price. I have come to like some of the cheeaper models (coleman max 2 cr2s), but they do not offer a high and low. I would like something with a low and high, but I don't care much about any other modes. I want a single cell slim and short as possible with the most power. Which would be the better of the two lights? Are there better options out there?

Thanks,
John

Redhat703

Enlightened
Surefire E1L and E1B would be my choice unless you want to go to incan route (E1E). I use an E1B as my backup, and my main EDC light is HDS Hi CRI as they are both 1 cell lights. However, the HDS can use both primary and rechargeable while the SF E1B can only use primary.

johnwaynesandw

Newly Enlightened
Redhat, Thank you for the advise. I was looking at the E1B, but using recharable cells is high on the priority list. I keep leaning to something in AA single cell since they are easily avaliable.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the FourSevens Quark Pro or Tactical. You can get them in AA format, or CR123. The Pro has multiple modes, the Tactical can be programmed by you to have only two modes of your choosing.

johnwaynesandw

Newly Enlightened
Chris thank you for the suggestions. I really like the 4sevens tactical for the programing of only two modes. The looks are nice as well. Do you know it they "stand the test of time"? I would like something that will last me for the next ten years.

Thanks,
John

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't argue that a Quark will outlast the quality US lights like Surefire, Malkoff, HDS, Peak etc, but IMHO, in terms of durability, they'd be at the top of the Asian-manufactured heap, particularly if you include their US style/US based warranty and customer service. For me 47s does the best job of compromising the US manufacture durability/warranty/CS with Asian light power/features/compactness. Quarks are my favorite though, and by a good margin, for their extreme versatility (Lego-ability, battery compatibility, and wide output range from weeks long running moonlight to ~350+ lumens from a 3V).

tonkem

Enlightened
You should also consider zebralight sc52 since you mentioned aa lights. I have one and it is with me always, as it is so small and when using a 14500 lithium battery achieves 500 lumens for 1 min. I usually run eneloops in it though.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think reppans put it very well - I own quite a few Surefires and I won't say the 47 is up to that standard, but it isn't far from it. I've been very happy with the 47 Mini123 I've owned for approx 3 years - it has never missed a beat. I picked up a Quark Pro a couple weeks ago and it's been good so far. I have no compliants, and at approx $40 I would give the Quark Tactical a try. If it happens to fail (which is unlikely from what I've seen online), 47 has great warranty support (10 year warranty).

johnwaynesandw

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys for all of the help. I think I may pick up a Quark and give it a try since you guys think highly of them. I like the looks and size. With the warranty it sounds like I couldn't go wrong.