Surefire F04 and F05 arrived today

computernut

Enlightened
I slapped the F04 on my E2L right away and wow! Exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't make the beam any wider, it just smoothes it out so you don't have any hotspot. Great when you're hunting for something in the dark, rather than having to point the tight hotspot from the TIR directly on the subject and if you're too close you blind yourself. Makes the beam much more useful for close-up work.

The F05 doesn't modify the beam much, just makes it red and not as bright. You definitely have to run it on high (60 lumens) to see any spill or all you get is a small hotspot on low (3 lumen).

I only wanted the F04 but the price was right on the F05 and didn't add anything to the shipping so what the hey ;)

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, the F04 is great! You're not going to get much red light from an LED with your F05 since LEDs greatly lack output within the red spectrum. You really need to use it with SF e-series incans (E1e or E2e).

-Robert

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
You really need to use it with SF e-series incans (E1e or E2e).

-Robert

Ditto...the F05 is great on the E1E...you can use it on the E2E, but you feel like your wasting lumens...the E1E puts out just enough of what you would need red light for to begin with.