Surefire G3 upgrades

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
its A 3 volt max drop in. Can't use more than one with the M31.
Ya I get that. It's just you're using a light that would have so much wasted space inside. When you could just use the proper drop in. It makes sense if it was a two by AA host. Not that it matters, enjoy using your light how you want.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me it makes more sense to use an M61LL, it has far more battery options and a 15 hour runtime on 3 x CR123's. It can use the following battery variants.

3 x CR123's
2 x 17500's
2 x 14500's
2 x AA Ni-MH
2 x AA Lithiums
2 x AA Alkalines

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya probably need a metal head. Or better yet the new M61SHO.same output over all the voltage range

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya probably need a metal head. Or better yet the new M61SHO.same output over all the voltage range
Gene Malkoff only recommends the M61L and LL in the G2 and G3's. He states that continuous use on high mode in plastic flashlights may damage the dropins for the other versions.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
M31 fed by 2 double A cells in a G3 is plenty bright for most general tasks. I have one in my 2aa Rayovac Indestructable and it's nearly as bright as the stock 250 lumen module it came with yet doesn't get hot.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Gene Malkoff only recommends the M61L and LL in the G2 and G3's. He states that continuous use on high mode in plastic flashlights may damage the dropins for the other versions.
Unless you have a metal head.

alangloi

Newly Enlightened
Cr123a cost about the same as ultimate lithiums. Wouldn't it just make sense to use those instead? I can understand doing a set up like this for an incandescent light because eneloop and ultimate lithium have a much flatter discharge curve than a CR123A. But in this case you were using a regulation circuit. So what is the advantage of going to the smaller cells?
Easier to find AA's locally here, even the AA lithiums are found everywhere. Where as the CR123A used to be hard to find and a bit more expensive. If push comes to shove I could put in two dummy CR123A cells with one CR123A into the light to power the M31L (after removing the AA sleeve).

That being said, the 3V modules just puts out a insignificant amount of heat with enough light for my activities, coupled with a very long runtime. If I wanted to 'light someone or something up' with the light from a flashlight I would use my 3D LED maglights.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread reminded me that I've still got new and unopened G3, I'm guessing that the batteries have probably expired by now! 😆

IMG_7107.jpeg

IMG_7108.jpeg

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread reminded me that I've still got new and unopened G3, I'm guessing that the batteries have probably expired by now! 😆
At least I now know I'm not the only flashlight nerd that keeps unopened spares available ;)

A few of my unopened spare G3's and 9P's

Attachments

• SureFire 9P and G3 Spares.jpg
    SureFire 9P and G3 Spares.jpg
    681.3 KB · Views: 36

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
You just never know when you might need a 9P or G3, or 2 or 3, still in the package!
I know when I could use a 9P and a G3. Right now. One of those G3s would look awfully nice with my KX4 head on it. And a 9P, would stay with an P90 and three primaries.
Ah man. I did not notice the twin task 3C there's another bummer

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know when I could use a 9P and a G3. Right now. One of those G3s would look awfully nice with my KX4 head on it. And a 9P, would stay with an P90 and three primaries.
Ah man. I did not notice the twin task 3C there's another bummer
Here ya go, the complete picture

Attachments

• SureFires - StreamLights - Etc - Spares.jpg
    SureFires - StreamLights - Etc - Spares.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 37