Surefire Lanyards-How To Use Them

wmugrad28

Newly Enlightened
Ditch the clip. The clip is a real problem, and detaches with a simple twist. I discovered this the hard way with a brand new C2 that hit the concrete twice from simply lowering and raising my arm with the light hanging by its lanyard.
I don't have a good pic, but you can see in this one how I use a split ring only attached to the lanyard ring(whether SF or LeefRing), with either a knot or adjustable stay close to the light so the lanyard doesn't move around, and the breakaway lanyard closures at the end.

Owen,

You clearly understand what I am talking about. I am really surprised more people haven't complained about this. I plan to call Surefire to discuss this sometime. Maybe they can provide me with a slightly larger ring than the one the clip is attached to.

Greg

BBL

Enlightened
If i understand right, Its designed to do that. Most of SF's Lanyards are designed to detach when there is alot of tension for safety (So you don't choke yourself for example). So when your letting it drop, Your exceeding the amount of tension that the lanyard is designed to hold before it breaks the connection and so thats the problem.
The lanyard is supposed to detach from the hand - not from the flashlight. That would make no sense, if the flashlight falls off but the hand gets injured.

dolbyyy

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I just purchased an M6 and really like it! There is one issue I have had since I purchased it. I have attached the lanyard a few times and THREE of the times it has disconnected without warning!!! I've been lucky because it has fallen on carpet from less than two feet every time (since I've been testing the lanyard out). The last time it disconnected I looked at the clip less than a minute before (while it was attached) and everything looked just fine. If the lanyard spins around as you pick up the flashlight and then you let the light drop it can disconnect. It appears to be either a design flaw because the clip can open upon a single spin or the tension on the clip isn't great enough. To the touch it feels fairly firm. It seems like this should never happen since it is a high quality tactical flashlight! Any ideas?

Greg
I have my M6 since one week and it has happened to me exactly the same. I've been lucky too because all the three times the lanyard has disconnected from the ring the flashlight never dropped on the floor. The last time I noticed the disconnection I decided to remove completely the ring and to not to use the lanyard at all because I thought it was a problem with my lanyard, but now I see that it's not happening to me only.

afterglow

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the tips and pics jtice, I wasn't aware of all those way of using a lanyard. I use mine mostly when I put my A2 in my pocket, I always make a loop with the lanyard around one of the ''belt ring'' on my jeans.

Spypro

Enlightened
I have some problems with the lanyard coming with my L4...
I seriously don't know how and where to attach it.
It may seem impossible to attach it to the tail cap and on the bezel.
What is the "right" way to attach it ?

Thanks !

victory

Enlightened
Knife wrist lanyards are used by running the whole lanyard around the back of the hand and putting a loop around the thumb only.
Greg

Actually greg, that's the correct way to use it. The advantages being that if someone grabs it, you can simply let it go instead of being dragged around by your wrist. Consider that lanyard applications came into use in the tactical community because, well, consider the logistics of changing your pistol magazine with a flashlight in hand.