SureFire UNR Commander

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick update about the selector ring. Without going too much into the technical details, switching slowly from MIN to MED LOW may cause the UNR to turn off, and this is normal. Apparently, the U2 uses a similar design.

For those who are curious, here's a bit more detail. Hall switches are used for each output mode except OFF, and these switches are activated by a magnet on the selector ring. Since there's no Hall switch for OFF, there is a 200ms window to activate the next Hall switch once the magnet is moved away from MIN. If another Hall switch is not activated within this window, the light assumes that OFF is selected. Moving slowly from MIN to MED LOW can exceed this window, causing the light to turn off.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two weeks with the Commander, tried using it on-duty...twice. Both times, the protruding switch hit something, causing an unintended activation (it was carried in my uniform pants "sap" pocket--the light was activated while it was in the pocket). The switch protrudes too much, and there's no way to carry the light because of the switch. I can place the ring in "OFF" during carrying, but that would severely limit its use, especially in a situation requiring immediate light.

This design is a big misstep for Surefire, IMO.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two weeks with the Commander, tried using it on-duty...twice. Both times, the protruding switch hit something, causing an unintended activation (it was carried in my uniform pants "sap" pocket--the light was activated while it was in the pocket). The switch protrudes too much, and there's no way to carry the light because of the switch. I can place the ring in "OFF" during carrying, but that would severely limit its use, especially in a situation requiring immediate light.

i never even noticed how much it stuck out till you posted this. that sucks!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had that happen too...I felt like it was getting warm so I took off my jacket, only to find out that the heat was from the light, which I was carrying in a belt loop holster. It must have bumped against my chair, which caused it to turn on in MaxBlast.

Have you considered a bezel-down holster? My editor has one of these, and if you are interested, I can check to see if the UNR fits. It's for the 5.11 Tactical TPT R5, which seems to have similar dimensions:

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Flashlights/Accessories/TPT-R5-Holster.html

Last edited:

dougie

Enlightened
Robin24k, the holster may well fit but I suspect that the problem of accidental activation may well occur just as easily bezel down and tail up as the other way around? Although I have no experience with this light the pictures suggest that the switch protrudes sufficiently far that unintentional activation will occur if the switch isn't locked out. That, I imagine, would make the light a bit of a liability instead of a great tool. Obviously, if it's carried in a vehicle or in a bag the chances are reduced but not eliminated entirely. For a LEO this is obviously a big headache as activating a flashlight unintentionally at the wrong time may have disastrous consequences! Whilst I imagine it would be fairly easy for someone to make a plastic shroud to cover the switch sufficiently that accidental activation is reduced it would also mean potential problems in using the switch. Although I love Surefire lights and hate the idea of criticising them it appears at the moment that this switch isn't one of their better ideas?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's worse when carrying bezel up, since it will bump against your seat if you are sitting down (that was how mine turned on). Maybe a really long holster that runs the entire length of the light?

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, I was pretty much anticipating the four-way tail cap and I thought the UNR would be the light I would purchase. It really is a shame that Surefire had obviously lacked the foresight regarding any potential problems when it comes to the design of the TC. I think I will just happily stick to my R1 Lawman in which I am growing fonder of by the day.

Lodogg2221

Newly Enlightened
Oddly enough, Ive had issues, though not often, with my Lawman activating with the head switch hitting my cuff case (Im guessing thats it, because I dont think the seat could do it), and finding out after a bit that my light is on.
Im thinking Surefire forgot the KISS principal with a few of their new lights....but the issue could be easily remedied if they would come out with their own holster for these lights, like they have with their other lights intended for duty use.
In the UNRs case, a long holster, similar to their 8AX or 9AN holsters that cover the end and have a space between the tailcap and bottom of the holster, and in the Lawmans case, one that extends up around the head switch. Though that one could be a short open bottom model...

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oddly enough, Ive had issues, though not often, with my Lawman activating with the head switch hitting my cuff case (Im guessing thats it, because I dont think the seat could do it), and finding out after a bit that my light is on.
Im thinking Surefire forgot the KISS principal with a few of their new lights....but the issue could be easily remedied if they would come out with their own holster for these lights, like they have with their other lights intended for duty use.
In the UNRs case, a long holster, similar to their 8AX or 9AN holsters that cover the end and have a space between the tailcap and bottom of the holster, and in the Lawmans case, one that extends up around the head switch. Though that one could be a short open bottom model...
I agree 100% on surefire forgetting the KISS principle with their latest offerings. Good point

wbrock001

Newly Enlightened
I had just purchased one and received it. I have to say I was very impressed, took a while to charge, but the beam was very nice with an excellent amount of spill with good throw hot spot. The 4-function switch worked great at first, but just the last couple days it wasn't working right...going to full brightness right away, not staying on, not triggering the light at all. So I just returned it and will probably buy a replacement to see if I get lucky with the next one working properly. I just think for a $416 light that it should be "perfect," as in I don't want to have to send it to Surefire to fix it, I want it perfect from day one...at least during the return period! I will definitely be getting another one.

usdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got this light also, bought it off ebay last year and it functions flawlessly but I found quickly it's way more than I "need" however it's handy having the nice tight beam it puts out. I had put it back on ebay but being in England no one wanted it so I've kept it for a rainy day.
I will say that it's very impressive...comparable reasonably to the turbo head models, but the turbo head isn't practical for me to carry. The UNR however will fit nicely in an inside chest pocket in a jacket and you barely know it's there.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
Yes, I'm bumping this old thread up... Looks like the 1000 lumen model is now available and in stock with at least 1 retailer. I have been sorely tempted by this same retailer's lowered price on the existing 800 lumen model, but I have been able to resist. Now that the 1000 lumen model is here, I find myself very tempted. How can one justify this light at $460? Incredible light, but damn, that is expensive. I want it badly, though.

Latest posts