Swisstools and Swiss Army Knives

rgp4544

Newly Enlightened
Are the Alox handles actually aluminum?

Also are the regular red plastic handles fairly durable and resistant to breakage?

Thank you,

Richard

ianb

Enlightened
I'd had 3 or more leatherman multitools, a couple of PST's and a crunch before I fancied trying a Swisstool as I read a really good review. I also tried some others the Leatherman Wave, Supertool, PST II, and a fair few SOG and Gerber's. I like the feel of the Swisstool and have never looked back. The main bain of the swisstool being the size and weight, but it is so useful, much easier to grip hard as pliers than the other models I tried. Also the very hardy chromed finish. I've tried a few of the swisstool varieties(Original,RS and CS) and have settled on the Swisstool X as my favorite.

Ian :)

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
rgp4544 said:
Are the Alox handles actually aluminum?

Also are the regular red plastic handles fairly durable and resistant to breakage?

Yes, on both counts. ALOX stands for "aluminum oxide", or anodized aluminum. All colors of the ALOX knives are anodized. The "red plastic" is actually a very durable cellulose product (cellulose acetate butyrate) called Cellidor.

207092255.jpg

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
ianb said:
The main bain of the swisstool being the size and weight, but it is so useful, much easier to grip hard as pliers than the other models I tried. Also the very hardy chromed finish. I've tried a few of the swisstool varieties(Original,RS and CS) and have settled on the Swisstool X as my favorite.

If you like the Swisstool X and you want something with a little less heft, you really should try a Swisstool Spirit if you haven't already.

BTW, the Swisstools are not chromed. They are polished stainless steel.

Last edited:

ianb

Enlightened
you know what after reading this I think I might order one to try(spirit that is) , the stainless finish is very good, I was having a brain fart thinking that it was chromed.

thanks, Ian :)

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
I was under the impression that all of the individual tools on the ALOX are exactly the same (as durable and strong) as the tools on the cellulose scales. In fact I thought that the only difference between the ALOX and the cellulose ones is the scales?

Does anyone know if the tools are the same on the ALOX as on the cellulose?

carrot

Flashaholic
On certain models, such as the ALOX Soldier, the knife blade is thicker, and thus stronger. Also the awl is designed differently.

Lincoln

Newly Enlightened
I noticed on the new Victorinox Rescue, several of the tools are advertised as being beefed up considerably, including the wedge/screwdriver and the phillips - and the locking mechinism works differently on the Rescue than on any other locking blade victorinox multi-knives. I think there are two tools that lock on the Rescue - the main blade and the wedge. And two of the other tools (the disk blade for cutting auto window glass and the window breaker, are replacable and spares are readily available. I think this is the first tool to have a replacable disk blade, but I specultate that Victorinox is going to expand the concept as to the wood saw and other tools that wear out quckly if used a lot, or in emergency circumstances. This knife is really a departure from all previous Victorinox designs - and it's sale is limited or restricted in the US - but readily availbe in Europe to citizes of the USA - at this time. UnFortnately, customs can be a problem during the FedEx shipping process - and could delay the receipt of this tool, even if it is sent by FedEx. Becuase of the extreme nature of the tools, I'll bet european civilians are not allowed to own them in many of the european countries ; & sales are limited to fire, rescue and police departments -

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
I really want one of the new Victorinox RescueTools... From what I gather it's basically a Vic One-Handed Trekker/Fireman but with more/dedicated tools for rescue and support services. If you want one you can obtain one through Swissbianco (he's got a site somewhere, and he's on EDCF, I think).

cdf

Enlightened
TThe Soldier , farmer , and Electrician (with and withouy saw ) are great tools .The one handed Trecker is a politically correct tactical , wish it came with a non serated blade . The Spirit is a great mid sized multi . For me it loose out to the Charge Ti due to the one handing feature on the Charge .

Fit , finish and quality are impeccable , if I had one wish it would be for better blade steel . That said , SAK's take and hold a pretty good edge , and are a snap to sharpen .

Chris

carrot

Flashaholic
Lincoln said:
are any of the tools stronger on the ALOX version of the "Farmer"
Sorry, I haven't handled a Farmer, so I don't know. But I do know that people sometimes refer to the Farmer as a Soldier with a wood saw, and that if you ask on KnifeForums.com you'll likely get your answer.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I EDC the Farmer and it i basically a Soldier with a saw. Both are great knives, I just like the saw and it only makes the knife a little thicker.

CDF,

You can grind the serrations off the One Handed Trekker. I know a lot of people have done this. I am not a big fan of serrated or partially serrated knives but if they have to be on a knife they should be at the front portion of the blade like on the One Handed Trekker.

PANZERWOLF

Newly Enlightened
my father gave me my first swiss army knife when i was six years old, so i may be a bit biased ;)
for obvious reasons they can't be abused like a sturdy "knife only" folder, but their quality has always been great
although i edc additional knives now (leatherman wave and crkt mirage), i don't leave home without a victorinox
it's like a talisman to me :D

Latest posts