**Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

whill44

Enlightened
I took a vacation last week. Stayed at home and used some of the money usually spent on going places to build a medium gaming (seti cruncher) computer. At least that's what I told the wife, even though I don't really play games. When I come home from the stress of work, gaming doesn't relax me all that much so I never picked it up. It's based on a Dell precision T3400 I got at goodwill for 10$. If anybody's interested I'll try to remember to post what changes I made to it and how its doing for speed and heat management along with the total price. I think about $300 all in but could be less.

whill44

Enlightened
Just a quick follow up to the system I built up last week. Dell T3400 core2 duo (2 core) 266ghz shell, no hard drive memory or video card. $10 I installed a core 2 quad ( 4 cores) 283ghz $20 to my door, 6 gigs memory $52 and a msi R7 370 video card $150. The video card was one area where I knew I went overboard but I was trying to future proof, in case I wanted to do this again with an updated system. You could easy spend under a $100 and it would do just fine. I already had a hard drive laying around so no cost. Win 7 install $25 free upgrade to 10 was installed. At this point I was done. Total $257. Average time spent for a work unit on the cpu 2.5 to 3 hours X 4. The gpu takes about 18 to 20 mins. Heat, 158F across the cores at full load. To hot, so I removed the side panel that reduced it by 10F, still to hot for 24/7 running. I did some research and found Dell made 3 heat sinks for this model, alum which is what i had and copper for the others. I found a copper for $13 and now it's running 118F across the cores with the side panel on. Total $270. I also installed a 500 watt power supply $50 even though the 375 watt original was working fine I became concerned about the video card under voting so I'm not adding the price to the total. This build was a lot of fun and for me well worth what I spent. It's been over ten years since I've put together a pc system, I'm a Apple guy. I know some will scoff at money wasted but I'll have months of fun tweaking and playing with it along with running seti.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick follow up to the system I built up last week. Dell T3400 core2 duo (2 core) 266ghz shell, no hard drive memory or video card. $10 I installed a core 2 quad ( 4 cores) 283ghz $20 to my door, 6 gigs memory $52 and a msi R7 370 video card $150. The video card was one area where I knew I went overboard but I was trying to future proof, in case I wanted to do this again with an updated system. You could easy spend under a $100 and it would do just fine. I already had a hard drive laying around so no cost. Win 7 install $25 free upgrade to 10 was installed. At this point I was done. Total $257. Average time spent for a work unit on the cpu 2.5 to 3 hours X 4. The gpu takes about 18 to 20 mins. Heat, 158F across the cores at full load. To hot, so I removed the side panel that reduced it by 10F, still to hot for 24/7 running. I did some research and found Dell made 3 heat sinks for this model, alum which is what i had and copper for the others. I found a copper for $13 and now it's running 118F across the cores with the side panel on. Total $270. I also installed a 500 watt power supply $50 even though the 375 watt original was working fine I became concerned about the video card under voting so I'm not adding the price to the total. This build was a lot of fun and for me well worth what I spent. It's been over ten years since I've put together a pc system, I'm a Apple guy. I know some will scoff at money wasted but I'll have months of fun tweaking and playing with it along with running seti.

Not a waste at all!! It's all "personal research" and much more rewarding than a few expensive dinners :)

I do the same with tubes speakers & components in my guitar amps.

whill44

Enlightened
Re: Announcing **Team CandlePowerForums** for SETI@home !

I'd like to make one last post about the Dell T3400 I'm using. I checked power consumption with my UPS and it's reading 202 Watts under full load. That's not free running by any means, but not as bad as it could have been. Like some others have stated summers coming and I'm in the process of clearing seti work units off computers that might suffer from the heat. I intend to keep this one system running through the summer months, hopefully that will be enough.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd like to make one last post about the Dell T3400 I'm using. I checked power consumption with my UPS and it's reading 202 Watts under full load. That's not free running by any means, but not as bad as it could have been. Like some others have stated summers coming and I'm in the process of clearing seti work units off computers that might suffer from the heat. I intend to keep this one system running through the summer months, hopefully that will be enough.

Yah - I had to throttle down my laptop as its my only computer and I use it for my music recording.
I have it on 90%cpu now and the fan doesn't have to run so high :)

whill44

Enlightened

Yah - I had to throttle down my laptop as its my only computer and I use it for my music recording.
I have it on 90%cpu now and the fan doesn't have to run so high :)

That was probably a good idea. Seti pushes a computer pretty hard, the heat builds up quick and stays high. My windows laptop fan ran on high the whole time.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

Now that the hot weather is here (100F last Saturday), I've throttled down my 'faster' :rolleyes: laptop by 50% and my Android by a little.

Team CPF has certainly dropped back a bit in the 'avg daily output' ranking but we're up to the 95% percentile for total credits at least. :eek:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope to run mine a bit this week - been too busy at the studio and my laptop is already maxed out running protools :)
I'm house sitting and can leave it going all night. I still get a kick outta earning a few credits here n there hhaha

whill44

Enlightened
A battle for position is under way. In the right corner sits the long time 2nd place holder Nitroz!!! With his ample supply of quad core computers and what can only be assumed as a cooler AC unit, comes out crunching. There's a reason why he's number 2 boys, he can bring the heat and stay cool doing it. In the left corner the challenger a scrappy fellow kinda sweaty but determined to cause a ruckus whill44!!! :poke: As it goes back and forth between the competitors who will come out on top. Stay Tuned.:D

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
A battle for position is under way. In the right corner sits the long time 2nd place holder Nitroz!!! With his ample supply of quad core computers and what can only be assumed as a cooler AC unit, comes out crunching. There's a reason why he's number 2 boys, he can bring the heat and stay cool doing it. In the left corner the challenger a scrappy fellow kinda sweaty but determined to cause a ruckus whill44!!! :poke: As it goes back and forth between the competitors who will come out on top. Stay Tuned.:D

How about whill44 and Nitroz combine resources and go for Millguy. Geeeezzzz!! Look at his credits!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hmm, after the BOINC Android update last ~Friday my phone stopped getting new workunits, would only complete & return what workunits it had. Would just refuse to get new workunits. Tried restarting, also removed & reinstalled the client twice, now I can't even get the software to connect to my account. Looks like I'm more than 50% down for output ... :(

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
BTW, if anybody is running this on their Android, you might want to avoid the latest BOINC update (& turn off auto-update for that specific app as well).
I checked the S@H forums and it looks like on some devices, the new version is mistakenly looking for only 64-bit workunits (which aren't available) instead of the existing 32-bit workunits.
(Am certainly not an expert, just relaying what I've read there.)

I've removed the latest version on my Android and am happily running again with v7.4.43. Just a FYI,

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll upload a few units next time I can get my laptop to Internet :) I'm still rolling but it's hella slow going for me.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Haven't been keeping up with this lately (does my sigline pic even display correctly anymore? :confused:), but still chipping away w/ a ~25% reduction in output. :)

Last edited: