The long list of potentially useful stuff in bug out, SHTF, car kits, and more...

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
Ah I already have a thyroid nodule the Doctors fuss over, if it did release anything, I'd just call it radiation therapy for my nodule,JK
IN all reality I was the Hazardous material Radio active decontamination officer for my Former agency, it was up to me to decide if exposure was to great and vehicles and equipment needed to be deep sized, along with that came the hard part of the job , making life or death decisions for friends, checking the dosiometer and going thru decontamination and new clothes and such or telling them you are walking dead, go back and do what you can for whoever you can before you die, ain't no amount of drilling or role play that can prepare you for that part of the job, I was fortunate in that I never had the need to do that part of the job for real. But I was obviously very close to Buchanan and went thru big monthly drills m entire career.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the one thing I find most confusing. It's not a religion. Plus, we see stories of real natural disasters happening in different parts of America every year which cause people to have to bug out to safer locations....

And I am prepared enough for most disasters.

For me, it is simply a line I have drawn in the sand. I spend very little time, money, and effort on things that ONLY have SHTF value. As a backpacker, I have some great BOB gear, but once I pack it as a dedicated/reserved BOB, then it loses all its primary camping value, only becomes useful in SHTF, and in all likelihood will go to waste.

Way too many different possibilities to account for - Chemical or viral release - buy gas masks and hazmat suits for everyone. Flooding - keep a house boat around. Brushfire - raised water tank with house watering system. Nuclear bomb - underground bunker. Etc. etc.

Most of my sports, recreation, and hobbies over the decades have left me with enough skills and gear to be better prepared than 98% of the folks out there. It all serves me with a primary function of fun, exercise, and recreation, and most of it has the secondary functionality of the SHTF.

That's enough.... for me.

markr6

Flashaholic
I spend very little time, money, and effort on things that ONLY have SHTF value. As a backpacker, I have some great BOB gear, but once I pack it as a dedicated/reserved BOB, then it loses all its primary camping value, only becomes useful in SHTF, and in all likelihood will go to waste.

Exactly!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That's enough.... for me.

I can respect that. And I agree that one cannot prepare for everything. With that, I've never once seen anyone add a gas-mask or Hazmat suit in their BOB. Yes, some of the packs out there (older Military Large ALICE pack for example) will accommodate both. But if one needs a Hazmat suit, chances are they work at a nuclear power plant and easily have access to them. An N95 mask is much less bulkier than a 60 or 75 year-old gas mask. Plus, no need to worry if it'll actually work or not. And N95's are cheap. Turn up in some odd places. I bought a couple over at Staples. Surprised as Hell to find them there.

No, no one can prep. for every disaster. That's 100% true. Most folks prep. for the realistic disasters that are most likely to befall them. In NYC, for me that's going to be a terror attack..... and the resulting panic of the unprepared sheeple. Possible leak or even full on melt-down at Indian Point (I mean considering how the Soviet system worked, few who understood that system were surprised that a full-blown melt-down took place. But the Fukushima disaster in Japan? That caught everyone off guard. If it can happen in Japan, with their systems and mentality in place, then a nuclear disaster can happen literally anywhere).

Also prepped for Blackouts, major snow-storms, and hurricanes. All of the above are likely where I am. Preps. for earthquakes?.... No! If I lived in California, it would likely be my main prep. along with a couple of others.

Like I said, I agree with you that you can't prepare for everything. Just wouldn't be realistic to even try.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

You'll notice I pointed out the same issue above when discussing the difference between two separate compact bolt-cutters I have. But "waste" is not the proper term as many who have a BOB see it. Is your spare tire going to "waste" in the trunk of your car? When was the last time you used it? Do you really need it? Hey! If it's a full-sized one, sell it! Yeah, new, unused, full-sized tires are expensive. Sell it! Get another really good light, or knife, or any of the things most of us on CPF love to spend our disposable income on.

And yet.... Everyone who has said the very same thing about "wasting" money on BOB supplies, or "wasting" items by putting them into a BOB.... Funny how all of them still drive around with an extra tire in the trunk of their car or mounted on the outside of their SUV.

The very same way the average person thinks of a spare tire, is how many folks think of their fully completed BOB packs.

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
Monocrom you asked about my shoulder rig, it is made by Holster guy on the net , it's currently selling for about 45.95, although it's very similar to one being sold by Motorola for $80 plus dollars (Motorola name tax) it is very functional and completely adjustable, he also makes a single and double Radio chest Holster as well as some single off side discrete Radio and document holsters, the double I am using has been in continously service for nearly 6 years with very little "aging" , radios all have expandable snap down securement with antenna control and cable control channels and speaker Mic securement, and does not interfere with seat belts although my compliment of radio's will be shrinking due you the IC 92 AD being eliminated from rotation with the release of the THD74A IN September because it will do APRS ,DSTAR, DV MODES ,REFLECTOR LINKING , ECHOLINK, PACKET CLUSTER,BLUETOOTH AND WIFI, and crissbanding galore as needed, and will be a tri- band 2/220/ 70 cm at 5 watts then I will start recarrying my Yaesu VX5r to give me 6 meters, a complete compliment of comms , until Yaesu gets around to making a c4fm digital analog Radio that is worth owning my c4fm needs will be covered by a repurposed Homeland Security Motorola encryption handheld picked up at auction and reprogrammed to do c4fm. That and a Icom 7000 with get me into plenty if trouble (or out of it) as many have said the 7000 is no everyone's go box Radio because of heavy power draw in my case it works great because I have a particle Un limited supply of AGM batteries, and ultimately being able to watch TV on the radio could bolster situational awareness in some cases. So just Google the Holster guy to see his gear , I also believe as of s few ears ago he did custom work for any need not covered by his inventory stores, if you get one go yell me how you like it.

Peace

Last edited:

Going_Supernova

Enlightened
Monocrom you asked about my shoulder rig, it is made by Holster guy on the net , it's currently selling for about 45.95, although it's very similar to one being sold by Motorola for $80 plus dollars (Motorola name tax) it is very functional and completely adjustable, he also makes a single and double Radio chest Holster as well as some single off side discrete Radio and document holsters, the double I am using has been in continously service for nearly 6 years with very little "aging" , radios all have expandable snap down securement with antenna control and cable control channels and speaker Mic securement, and does not interfere with seat belts although my compliment of radio's will be shrinking due you the IC 92 AD being eliminated from rotation with the release of the THD74A IN September because it will do APRS ,DSTAR, DV MODES ,REFLECTOR LINKING , ECHOLINK, PACKET CLUSTER,BLUETOOTH AND WIFI, and crissbanding galore as needed, and will be a tri- band 2/220/ 70 cm at 5 watts then I will start recarrying my Yaesu VX5r to give me 6 meters, a complete compliment of comms , until Yaesu gets around to making a c4fm digital analog Radio that is worth owning my c4fm needs will be covered by a repurposed Homeland Security Motorola encryption handheld picked up at auction and reprogrammed to do c4fm. That and a Icom 7000 with get me into plenty if trouble (or out of it) as many have said the 7000 is no everyone's go box Radio because of heavy power draw in my case it works great because I have a particle Un limited supply of AGM batteries, and ultimately being able to watch TV on the radio could bolster situational awareness in some cases. So just Google the Holster guy to see his gear , I also believe as of s few ears ago he did custom work for any need not covered by his inventory stores, if you get one go yell me how you like it.

Peace

HRO just got over $200 from me for accessorizes--for that much, I could have bought another new HT!
:duh2::rant::banghead:

Poppy

Flashaholic
After 9/11 I tried to determine what would be the best exit strategy for a terrorist induced nuclear meltdown, and how it might effect me. I considered that the weather typically travels for the south west to north east.

Meaning, that for the most part, any fall-out from the Indian Point power plant (about 25 miles north and east of me) would most likely travel away from me. Three Mile Island fall-out MIGHT come towards me, but it is about 180 miles away!

My escape plan would be to "Go West young man!"

Looking at the aftermath of Chernobyl they have a 19 mile exclusion zone, and post fall out studies (if my math is correct) seem to indicate that almost all of the fallout landed within a 130 mile radius. Rain cleanses the air, and the Russian Air Force seeded clouds so that rain fell outside of heavily populated areas. This forced a lot of the fall-out to drop to the ground in largely unpopulated areas.

Depending upon the scenario, if I had to make 25 miles a day on foot, for two or three days, I would want my pack to be as light as possible.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Peace

Thanks for the reply and the info. Brother. It's appreciated. :twothumbs

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
... But "waste" is not the proper term as many who have a BOB see it. Is your spare tire going to "waste" in the trunk of your car? When was the last time you used it? Do you really need it? Hey! If it's a full-sized one, sell it! Yeah, new, unused, full-sized tires are expensive. Sell it! Get another really good light, or knife, or any of the things most of us on CPF love to spend our disposable income on.

And yet.... Everyone who has said the very same thing about "wasting" money on BOB supplies, or "wasting" items by putting them into a BOB.... Funny how all of them still drive around with an extra tire in the trunk of their car or mounted on the outside of their SUV.

The very same way the average person thinks of a spare tire, is how many folks think of their fully completed BOB packs.

I suppose this is also mine, since I used the term "waste."

I don't mean to knock others preference - we all fill our own needs as we see fit. I was just trying to explain my own mentality as a not-100%-believer.

But for the sake of respectful conversation, over my lifetime, I have used spare tires ~10 times, and have caught screws/nails in tires as many more times that were fortunately noticed before needing the spare. Some were valve failures and sidewall damage, where plugs and pumps would not suffice. Tubed motorcycle tire's suck the worst, having to remove the wheel and swear and cuss at the road side with tire irons!

Haven't need a BOB yet, although was arguably close to needing a GHB a few times... speaking of which, mine is excellent. As an EDC'er (yet another hobby), I have a 10 lbs/10L murse which has been OCD-meticulously assembled and is arguably just shy a sleeping bag of an ULW backpacker's rig (incl kitchen, shelter, ground cover/insulation). Probably mentioned it earlier, but >90% of it is multi-tasking serving my daily fun, recreational, entertainment, comfort, office, and communications needs and so sees frequent use.

You're in for a real bad day if you get a flat out in the boonies without a spare and cell reception. But in the case of a BOB, I still need to be home/get home to use it. For me, the only difference between a packed/dedicated BOB, and my camping gear stored in closets, is some assemble time. ~Half of the most important items are already assembled in my EDC murse.

So, as a not-100-believer, I just think I'll have that 30mins-1hr to assemble a very nice BOB, maybe another hour or two to pack and fuel the RV, and maybe another hour to rig a back-up BOV (motorcycle on trailer).

Anyways... fun subject and debates, food for thought, and respectful discussions.

Last edited:

milehigher

Newly Enlightened
HRO just got over $200 from me for accessorizes--for that much, I could have bought another new HT!
:duh2::rant::banghead:
Could have bought you a half dozen egg roll radios with enough left for lunch, hot dogs on the exhaust manifold or carborateur quesadillias .

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I suppose this is also mine, since I used the term "waste."
I have to be honest.... Your use of that term felt different to me in context. I see a very distinct difference between someone who has thought things through, made some preps. (for example: your GHB and EDC carry items), already has plenty of useful gear that he's decided to pack up on the spot if the brown stuff hits the fan, and has decided that a BOB packed and set aside with quite a few of the same gear purchased as duplicates; just seems like a "waste."

Now compare that with someone who looks at the cost and effort of putting together a BOB, realizes that the items packed inside are meant to be left there indefinitely; and just decides "Oh! That's a waste! Why bother?"

I see distinct differences there. Your's would be the former. That type of outlook as "waste" makes sense. While I respectfully disagree with such an outlook, I both understand and respect it. I know there are individuals out there who'll disagree with my outlook on a BOV. Not in terms of vehicle choice. But in my mid-level outlook on how to equip it. Some see a BOV as just a transport vehicle. Grab the BOB, toss it inside, head on out! Others will actually keep a complete duplicate BOB in their BOV at all times, and will grab their regular BOB to toss inside should they need to bug out. I don't see the point in that. Especially considering the high cost of putting a BOB together in the first place, even if all the items are cheap junk. (Definitely not recommended!)

Though if it was done. Realistically, in order to cover everything genuinely needed to be covered, just getting the dirt cheapest gear/supplies out there. We're realistically looking at around $350.oo

Now that's an honest and realistic assessment using mostly cheap items. Cheap in every way. Much of it likely to break, let you down, not function reliably or perhaps not function at all if ever needed. So a BOB with decent gear/supplies in it will clearly be well north of $400.oo

It's why a BOB takes time to put together. Not just finding and ordering all the items to cover every BOB sub-category, but slowly using the needed funds as well. I see it as odd to have duplicate BOBs. One at home, one in the BOV at all times. But it's a different outlook that I again don't agree with but can understand and respect. I see it as best to put longer tools into a BOV that won't fit in a BOB. Snow shovel, full-sized shovel, etc. Along with a ton of extra food and water. But that's about it. If you need to use an item not normally found in the vehicle, well; that's the whole point of having put together a BOB. If you need to abandon the vehicle, you're not going to be able to shoulder two BOBs. Might not be room for two on your bike, or deer-cart.

You're in for a real bad day if you get a flat out in the boonies without a spare and cell reception. But in the case of a BOB, I still need to be home/get home to use it.

I do know some who keep their BOB in the back of their vehicle. (If they have a separate BOV, the BOB is kept in the back of their daily commuter. But in the BOV if that's also their daily.) Normally I don't recommend it since cars can be broken into all the time. But I'm fortunate to have a very secure garaged parking spot in my CO-OP, and a secure place to park when at work. So you'll normally find my BOB in the trunk of my car. Whether at work or home, I'm good. If someone is in the same shape I am, no reason not to keep it in the car at all times.

Just wanted to say I read and agreed with the rest of your post. Just quoted those two portions to clarify what I meant in an earlier post and offer up an alternative to keeping a BOB at home. For some, there are other options than just it being at home. And thank you for continuing to keep this thought-provoking discussion civil. I genuinely appreciate it.

Poppy

Flashaholic
reppans,
I try to read all of your posts, they are always well thought out and informative, and you write perfectly clearly. I knew exactly what you meant when you used the term, go to waste.

My car has a large trunk, and a full size spare. In there I have first aid kits, road flares, lights, and sufficient rain gear, and extra clothing for a group of three to spend the day in the rain, or the woods for a night or two.

15-16 years ago, I did pack 2 "get out of town", plastic containers/"Grab and go boxes", to throw into the van, grab a case of water, tie the bikes to the roof, or rather insert the bike rack, and mount the bikes.

Over time, we accumulated more hiking, camping equipment, Ultra light cooking systems, etc. My son and I each have at least three bags/packs: each a day pack with platypus water bladder, each a 30L pack with water bladder, and each a 60L pack. So overall for the five of us we are short one water bladder. Fortunately the grandkids are big enough and strong enough to walk all day long, and even carry a little gear. We do have a water filter system.

Those N95 filters are better than the really cheap ones, but don't compare to a real air filter. I have a few N95s in one of my first aid kits in the car. But if needed I have five of these...

SLZD6Uh2RUWaBgRTWWaWyeai1XYliAssIcuYZQRg8vIZK5IbhADPDb1SJABCm_tm2oMV-M_bBkYFWBwSNtk57-RBgQNh0-5Dq5sTCVD-29HwEHis1vooGfsZv0eQceD23KPAx4ot_M4tDfDkpEdEfoDqeIJHN4SOZGLbED-nTnA_CB_2Ubd33PDyVuL6SGIfWqY1LWJfBZGxKfO-IHY-fHA8wxkwhtivKcPHXs3kQVKB4hS-uQ7bkAM8iPWuST7OIQb_Zq_3stJngIHQqMq3FZlsVCQGEEIUKDPBYOYpxUapyeSmwJTSZFpdTR9uXAI_xvTBWyRPzf3_ESQzcCFwmx8hO7hdEYg8TKP6vMkBxdZihhYzIAAh14IjuuTGXNHiRr5DvzJvy95mIXVMjSyQzB5lvLnbvoYdrXhnF7TTcJWtzSbc3DWAl_igBA8EBzqg1I092Ed2i4FihbRXDAqZGyNJCr8gY0hSJYb0bPpQZmClkCwvI1AHC4EcXJRyRxl3Y-hTF733M7pLrCU2bOVG_5wWOdJvT_ysdyQwvDcWMZ1Hylk7ZXn3gS7f8BQ6lcZF6RnIzu7npTM-MhNB-UIufeMXUmw2XKEEymV6u_8t1UC6JFKP=w1034-h775-no

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thank you, your post reminded me of something I wanted to post yesterday, but slipped my mind due to a fender-bender I was involved in. Wasn't that it was the other driver's fault. It was the fact that what I encountered.... imagine if Tanning Mom had an identical and obnoxious twin who was an exhibitionist. Had to keep reminding myself I wasn't at the carnival Side-Show on Coney Island.

Okay, moving on. Yesterday, I was able to get a really good set of knipex mini bolt cutters (8-inch model). And it hit me, I just paid $40 for one piece that will pretty much live in the lap of mostly "retirement" in my BOB. Meanwhile, an almost as good version is at Home Depot for less 1/4 the price. And honestly, in a bug out situation, it would be just as good. Now, I don't regret buying it. I'm willing to stock my BOB with certain items that are the best, or nearly so in their respected categories. But I'll spend much less for other items.

It's a balancing act with a BOB. It's going to be expensive no matter which way you slice it. But it's going to differ what we as individuals chose as the bigger slices of that pie.

BTW, the Home Depot version is called the TEKTON 8 in. mini Bolt Cutter. I've actually seen the very same design at Lowe's Hardware (light blue handles instead of red, and a different name) and at other larger hardware chain stores. I love quality tools. They're ridiculously hard to find nowadays unless you're buying used and they're from the time Grand-pa was an annoying kid. So, I'll pay the price for good tools. But nothing wrong with other options. The TEKTON and its different handle-colored twins is a lesser tool for sure. But adequate, overall. (One nice feature is that unlike the Knipex, these bolt cutters have handles that can be locked in the closed position with a stiff latch.) Just be sure that the tiny nub just above the rubberized handles is perfectly straight as it sits horizontal while the handles are locked closed.

As for the best mini bolt cutters, it's either going to be online or hopefully there's a Sears store near you (and not one that only specializes in furniture or appliances). The other major chains just don't carry them. It's frustrating. You want cheap junk? No problem! You want quality you can actually pass down to your children and your children's children (hey what a concept)! Good luck with that. :ironic:
A couple of times you mentioned that you put these mini bolt cutters into your BOB.
I'm wondering... WHY?
They weigh nearly a pound, and won't open a lock worth opening.

• The cutting edges are induction hardened at approximately 64 hrc to cut through soft wire up to 6.0 mm; medium hard wire maximum 5.2 mm; hard wire up to 4.0 mm and piano wire up to a maximum diameter 3.6 mm.

I measured a standard Master Combination lock, and its shank is 11mm thick. This little guy won't even nip at its heels.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
I've seen and heard this set of questions many times. Hearing explanations for both and so on.

That said, cost for a full time BOV is even more then you were thinking. If it's something you intend to have for the long run (scavenging fuel, parts when needed)

The big thing I personally like having is a kit for my vehicle, dedicated for my vehicle (I do have secure parking though) then having my field pack (bushcraft kit) so in a sense they are different. But both needed per application. The vehicle kit lends it's self to mechanical repairs, camping cooking extra supplies that type of thing. This is also where extra equipment is kept per specific scenario. Where as the pack is a stand alone kit deisgned for me and no one else.

At the end of the day, having more knowledge on matters will always be the way to go, improvising and the know how weighs nothing and requires no extra space.

Some things to keep in mind and know how to do.

- have you changed belts/fluids/filers on your vehicle before? Are specialty tools need for these tasks?

-spare placement: this is a Murphys law scenario. Better to have and not need then need and not have. (Have you plugged tired before? Replaced on rims/wheels?

-is your gear placed safely? If you haven't been in a roll over or high speed movement scenario? Two things, if things aren't strapped down they become ballistic and ballistic items become widow makers.

There are a ludacris amount of things to keep in mind when properly kitting a vehicle for these scenarios. Biggest thing I can recommend? Keep reading, keep learning.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree with most of what you said. Couple of things though....

A BOV can be very expensive. I've seen a few purpose-built ones that easily top six figures. Have luxury accommodations up the wazu, and are rolling fortresses with everything inside from a small arsenal (supplied by the commercial BOV builder) to filtered air. But they don't need to be that pricey. One example would be a used 4x4 truck with a camper shell. You're already 85% of the way there. Off road tires, winch up front (or at the very least a Come-Along in the vehicle), a cheap paint job if needed. Heck, a few cans of matching spray-paint in an earth tone or O.D. color with a few rolls of painter's tape makes for a simple DIY project. Doesn't need to be costly at all. A roof rack might be an issue though. Nothing a trip to the junk yard can't fix. DIY it or pay a local who is good at welding. Might not be pretty, but who cares?

I know one commercial company that makes excellent pull-out shelves for SUVs, and trucks with camper shelves. They are expensive but extremely low key and blend in perfectly. Great way to store gear practically undetected. But not really needed if you just need a way to carry a few long tools and several cans of gasoline.

Which brings me to the next issue. Forget about scavenging for gas or anything else you might need. You're going to have to take extra fuel with you. That means having it on hand. Fill up a few 5-gallon cans with gas, rotate the cans in your daily driver to be sure the fuel is fresh. In a bug out scenario fuel and food are going to be the first things to go. Last thing you want to do is postpone your fast, steady progress to your BOL due to stopping to scavenge for either one.

Not only does it waste time, but the more you're out there; the more likely you are to encounter people. Not good..... As most of them will be in the same boat you are. Only they didn't plan, they didn't prep., and it's been awhile since they ate. And here you are..... with a vehicle practically bone dry but with plenty of food and supplies inside. Even for those with strong morals, that's going to be too much temptation. If they have children with them who haven't eaten for awhile? Forget it. Not a good situation to face.

Very little should interrupt your forward progress to your safe haven.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Tyvec jumpsuits may be handy to have.

I have two of them in my trunk.
They are water and wind resistant, yet breathable. They are lightweight, tear resistant, and pack-able.
They make for good pants for trudging through the woods, when ticks are out and active, because those little buggers stand out against the white back-ground.

A single layer of fleece is a good insulator, but on a windy day... not so good. BUT if you put a wind blocker on over it the difference is remarkable. Even one of those dollar store plastic ponchos can make a difference, but a tyvec suit is better.

During the winter months, I recommend that people dress as though they were going to walk home in the weather, and then take their hats and gloves off once in the car. Of course they don't always listen to me. Even I, typically wear jeans... I don't know why. They are hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but I do. :sick:

I mentioned earlier that I have a full set of rain gear for three, with the ability to spend a couple of nights in the woods. My three season coat is gortex lined, and I keep a pair of gortex lined rain pants in the trunk. I also have a pair of those yellow bib rain pants, those two tyvek suits, and a few cheap ponchos, in the trunk at all times.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
Very little should interrupt your forward progress to your safe haven.

That is the ticket right there. And if you don't have an end goal, that would be something to look into, with back ups to back ups.

Really there are some great pre-made platforms for a BOV, everything will take a bit of work, but at the end of the day you get out what you put into these style of vehicles.

CanadianSurvivalCompany

Newly Enlightened
I mentioned earlier that I have a full set of rain gear for three, with the ability to spend a couple of nights in the woods. My three season coat is gortex lined, and I keep a pair of gortex lined rain pants in the trunk. I also have a pair of those yellow bib rain pants, those two tyvek suits, and a few cheap ponchos, in the trunk at all times.

Poppy, habits like these are a good thing. It sounds like you're doing what you can to prep for every season of weather. Having things like this on hand make a huge difference when they are needed.