The Malkoff Front Porch

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The new SHO can be installed in VME w/AA tube running Vapcell H10. Make a neat lil self defense light?

Yes, but you may want to consider using the E2 Super head which is identical in performance but smaller and much lighter.

E2-HT-18350-5.jpg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya it's like an M91 on roids. Right around the same output but more throw and as I said you can use two primary cells. And you get full output from 9 volts down to 3.8. Hope he makes more soon. I missed out of the first batch.
I like the regular M91 for its wide, bright hotspot and beam.

This wouldn't replace the M91 but it would be be similar to the M91T- correct?

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well kinda. You can run the 91 on 2X123 but it draws a ton over what's recommended. Also this new 61 has the same output from 9 volts all the way to 3.8. That's a new feature.
I am not interested in running any variant of M91, or M91T on 2x123. I was pointing out that M91T can run on1x18650, 2x18650 and 3x18650 as well as 2,3x4x123. Basically the same thing with better input options.

I tried the regular M91 once upon a time (10 years ago) and found its output to be unacceptably floody. Like holding a bulb in your hand. Bright, yes. But very little throw. I don't know if the latest-greatest M91 is the same thing or much different. I really like the optic of M91T.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live in the city and my M61N (previous generation- I think XPG2) gets washed out a bit and is underwhelming. I view the M91N as an M61 on steroids and has a bigger and brighter hotspot, seems like more throw as well- turning on a lightbulb is a good analogy.
The "T" series are on my list but they won't get to stretch their legs anywhere around me. I figure if I'm going to spend the money I will just get the wildcat and play with the diffuser or go for a hounddog.

I edc the HDS systems NLT which seems similar yet brighter than my M61N, albeit with less of a pleasing tint.

Currently my M91N gets used as my backup and is in my bag with a ZL headlamp and a convoy thrower (which is mostly for fun)

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
M91 has a relatively low lux of 8500. Lower than M61 SHO which has 11K lux and will appear brighter on target, despite having 200 fewer lumens. I found out that for anything beyond room distance, I want lux closer to 20K and for really serious work, 45K of Hound Dog is even more appealing.

I could never understand the appeal of wildcat - 1000 lumens but only 5K lux. Doesn't make any sense. Has no throwing power whatsoever. Unless looking for a lost needle in the carpet. Then it's perfect.

Last edited:

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Here are some beam profiles that might be useful for this conversation;

Top row - E2XTD (650 lumens / 70,000 cd)
Second row - E2 Hyper Throw (500 lumens / 35,000 cd)
Third row - Bodyguard v.2 (1,100 lumens / no cd spec)
Fourth row - E2 Super (850 lumens / 12,000 cd)

Based on Malkoff's specs, I expect the M61SHO beam to look much like the E2 Super. Once they're available again I'll order one to do a comparison.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie on Malkoff lights here! I want the HI - Low twist with new SHO

How do I get the M61 SHO with a High / Low switch MD2 flashlight?

Is that possible or do I have to buy the more expensive M61 High/Low Switch MD2 Flashlight and change the drop-in?

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Newbie on Malkoff lights here! I want the HI - Low twist with new SHO

How do I get the M61 SHO with a High / Low switch MD2 flashlight?

Is that possible or do I have to buy the more expensive M61 High/Low Switch MD2 Flashlight and change the drop-in?
The hi/lo is just a retaining ring that holds the drop in inside the head. If you email Cathy at Malkoff, she might be able to make a custom order for you with all parts you want and send you the invoice