The Tiger11, the MC60, and some related musing

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bill,

I think you'll like the SL-35X on 6 cells. Just keep in mind that it's not reliable on high current cells in that configuration. We've all blown multiple units using fractional A and 1/2D cells. It handles 7.2V just fine, just not the initial spike of HC cells.

The beam is meaty and pretty white. The spot to spill transition is smooth and does not distract from viewing the target. Very nice indeed.

Wilkey

agent8698

Newly Enlightened
I have owned my Tiger11 since July 2004 (over 10 months now). Yesterday, the bulb died (for the first time). Not bad, considering that I turn the light on almost every day, and use it probably an average of 2 or 3 minutes a day. My opinion of the Tiger11 is that it has been very reliable and that it is awesome to hold the equivalent of a car headlight on high beam in your hand. Sometimes I would turn on the light fresh off the charger (just to satisfy my curiosity), and it never blew, until this time (fresh off the charger again), but it was probably ripe anyway. I installed my replacement bulb, and I hope to get another 10 months or so out of the bulb. Max

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yearly bump.

Seems appropriate given that the TL passaround is ongoing and that I just mentioned this thread in a recent post.

Plus, I will be selling some Tiger11's and 85's and even a regulated TL or two.

The regulated TigerLight uses an 8 cell AA pack instead of a 6 cell 4/5A pack, and the output is regulated to exactly 7.2 volts DC-equivalent for the entire run. Against the WA1111 the regulated TL will run for 45 minutes. Neat, huh?

Only downside is that the battery pack is soldered into the switch core and is not user-replaceable.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw this awesome review and was thinking of commenting, when, as I scrolled down through the replies, saw I already did. What the heck? Then I saw the review was done a long time ago. Whew! I was afraid I needed new medication. LOL

I bought one of Jim's TL11s a long time ago, which is why I initially commented, and it has worked flawlessly. And I have used it a lot. I also have a MC60 with the 4000mAh NiMH battery pack, FiveMega focusing MC reflector and FiveMega ceramic slug. Everything Jim said in his review is exactly to my experience. I also have one of Ginseng's MC85 with 8 NiMH high-current/high capacity batteries (blows the bulb on the standard 9 batteries because these batts hold their voltage so well), and it is a great light, too, but very large -- about 5D in size.

And just recently I was EXTREMELY lucky to get one of Jim's new TL11-R lights. This light is incredible. When I first got it, I took it out and compared it to some Mag85s and an ROP on high. The TL11-R won, but when I went back and charged everyone up to full, the Mag85s threw a little more light, but not a lot of difference. I tend to use stippled reflectors with 1185 bulbs because the beam is so nice and these bulbs have enough lumens to offset the loss in throw.

My first TL11 had the pepper spray, which I haven't used since I lost a battle of chemical warfare to a couple of skunks. The new TL11-R is the 8-inch size, making it amazingly compact for so much light. And Jim set up the bulb and reflector just perfectly.

The longer -- and regulated -- beam really overcomes the major advantage the MC60 had in runtime, using the larger pack. Although the MC60's runtime is still longer, the quality and brightness of that beam can't compare over the full span of runtime.

The other issue everyone raises -- and one that had always bothered me -- was the placement of the switch on the TL. It's not too bad on the spray version, but the short version makes it a little weird, at least at first.

I have, however, come to like that switch placement. As Jim says, it just takes a little adjustment. But the bigger point is that the proper tactical position for a bright light is just to the side of your head and just in front of your eyes. In that position, you don't see a lot of confusing shadows amid the beam. And the smallish 8-inch TL can be easily carried lens backwards in your hand, so you can swing the light up to the side of your head in the proper tactical position and use your thumb to click the switch.

I've become a great believer in regulated incans. If I want to light up the homestead yard, I take a FiveMega tri-bored Mag85 with 9 GP2000 4/5A batts and AWR's Hotdriver set to 11 volts and a small-hole Litho123 heavy stipple reflector. Long runtime, heavy, and with a big, perfect-beam wall of light. But not a lot of throw.

If I need throw, the TL11-R is perfect. Very portable, perfect beam that goes forever, and a long-regulated runtime. It's hard for the MC60 to break into that line up.

Thanks, Jim.

Last edited:

JimmyB

Enlightened
Well since you bumped it I don't feel bad asking a question on such an old thread. In your initial review you state that the MC is Hard Anodized (type lll). Is this the case now? I ask because as a rookie cop 18 yrs ago, my partner bought a stock MC which was type ll anodized. Needless to say after a few weeks in the car it looked like hell. We commonly left them on the floor between the seat and the door. This made it easy to grab on the way out but scratched the bejesus out of it in short order. I lost my old Streamlight a few years back which had almost no finish left and almost looked like bare aluminum. Battle scars I called them (my partner called it fugly). Type lll sure would have been nice. I've been on a motor now for the last 8 yrs and carry a Surefire in a belt pouch which could pass for showroom new.

JimmyB

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
JimmyB,

According to the manual the finish is Type III. Whether it was always this way, or they are lying and it still isn't, or what, I couldn't say.

Perhaps someone who has put his or her MC to heavy use can comment.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I noticed is the MC60's lamp is out of alignment with the reflector
(easily seen in the indoor shot's) this can change things a bit. I do have an aero HP stick and a 1160 WA so I guess i know it's operational stats. I use mine as a reliable tool, so if you can live with possably flashing a TL-11 lamp fine,, I don't roll like that.
I do find it interesting that with the stock mag lamp (newest one) with the areo pack, it will throw a bit further then the WA, and is much whiter, at least in my 15 yr old MC.
Proper centering, of the lamp (a PITA stock or WA) is the key, even stock, it lights up thing's far away my old eyes can't see in focus anyway, So I am happy with my MC/MC60 (it stays stock lamped 70% of the time) anyhoo, just a few thing's i have observed. VDG

Latest posts