The Ultimate Light for Wildlife Surveys

Turtle Herder

Newly Enlightened
Does the (near) perfect wildlife survey light exist??

It seems us wildlife biologists may be neglected as a target audience for flashlights, despite our community growing considerably in recent years and it's effect on how well we survey...it can easily mean the difference between being able to find, and thus save, a new or threatened species or not. I end up wearing down a Sunwayman V25C every 18 months or so in the tropics as their magnetic control ring doesn't take the constant adjustments/harsh field conditions well. I was never entirely satisfied with the V25C though regardless of durability. 780 lumens would be adequate if I was able to focus the beam to reach the canopy better, but I can't. So I'm consulting the great minds here to check if I'm missing something.

Having 10+ detents or an infinitely variable ring is the most fundamental requirement that filters the search the most. I am aware of offerings like those of Nitecore, Jetbeam RRT-01, HDS Rotary, and Sunwayman V11R but none satisfy our needs completely or with amicable compromises. Does a light exist with all or most of the following features:

• 10+ detents or infinitely variable control
  • 750+ lumens (preferably ~1000)
  • Ability to focus the beam
  • 18650 form factor (more concerned about run-time, ie # of batteries I have to carry)
  • Waterproof (IPX-8 is fine, but something more submersible would be great)
  • A separate red light would be incredible, but not required if a filter can be fashioned
  • Features like battery level checks, clip or tail cap type, strobe or memory settings are not as much of a concern

Essentially I am looking for a Sunwayman V25C that is slightly more powerful, has better build quality, and with a beam focus. Please tell me this exists or can be made!

Thanks for reading

archimedes

Flashaholic
Hello and welcome to CPF

Your post above has been approved, but the thread will be moved to the "Recommend " subforum

Some of your criteria conflict (such as "zooming" and "waterproof" for example) but you may want to start your search by checking out the HDS Rotary (although would not meet your preferred output)

Others will be by very soon with other thoughts and suggestions

Cheers !

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
Just curious. Is this for a particular type of wildlife, or is it generally any kind of animal you might be called upon to survey? Curious because a flashlight that is great for one animal might not be at all what you want for another.

High quality zoomies aren't very common vs. pre-focused beams. But the Fenix FD41 would be one that is also IPX8 Waterproof. However, it does not meet your need for 10+ rotary style brightness settings.

Last edited:

Latest posts