thermal issues w/ solid countertops

turbodog

Flashaholic
FYI,

For those that have solid surface countertops... in particular, the composite types (silestone/quartz/etc)... they are not as thermally resistant as you might think.

They appear to be fine for reasonable periods for normal hot/cold (oven/freezer) items.

To note, extremes of temp or TIME will be a problem.

I was using some dry ice a few years ago, and the counter popped. Have a crack now that's viewable at the right angle/lighting.

Couple of weeks ago, I was cooking using a sous vide. Only 140F, but lasted for 24 hours. Had been cooking in the same spot this way for years. Now I have a nice new crack.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know. We have quartz, and were told to not use vinegar on it but alcohol is ok. We use silicone trivet/pot holders to also lessen the scratching and etching from titanium. The Ti clip on a Spyderco makes marks on the edge when I lean against the countertop sideways.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I've not seen problems with vinegar, alcohol (isopropanol or ethanol), acetone. or anything. The dry ice cracked it after 30 mins of exposure in a 6" dia pot. The sous vide... guess it cracked after years of use in the same spot for hours/days on end.

Latest posts