• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

TN42vn90 V2 :-)

Xaios

Newly Enlightened
2 questions:

1) Will there be an Oslon-based pencil thrower version like the V1?
2) Any idea what the difference is between the V1 and V2 of the TN42? I tried to find a comparison detailing what the differences were, but to no avail. The specs listed on the Thrunite site were no help either, as they appeared to be identical.

Newlumen

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 questions:

2) Any idea what the difference is between the V1 and V2 of the TN42? I tried to find a comparison detailing what the differences were, but to no avail. The specs listed on the Thrunite site were no help either, as they appeared to be identical.

I think this is the only version available right now with the driver vnx3.

I have an older version which have 3 modes, low, medium, and high.

taubada

Newly Enlightened
Could you please be more specific on how long of turbo runtime before it gets too hot ? Thank in advance.
I seem to get a consistent 2 and a half minutes on turbo before the light turns down to high. At that point the collar of the light is certainly warm but not what I would call hot. I did try turning the light off for a few seconds, then back on to turbo for a minute and it got hot to the point that that it was uncomfortable., then back down as I have no desire to damage the light at this stage. Even on high, this thing can easily "out glo & out throw" my other dedicated throwers eg. T21vn, M25C2vn Turbo and TK61vn V1...., and if you really want to light something up, you still have another level. 😳

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
There is a 20A and 30A version of the TN42vn CFT90
20A version basically has no driver heat worries. 30A version has 25% more peak intensity but come at the cost of circuit overheating around the 2-3 minute mark on Turbo. Nothing will likely hurt. The circuit just wont sustain turbo and turn itself down to High to protect itself. I keep restarting turbo in torture test and have not been able to kill a driver so I think its fine.

flybird

Newly Enlightened
I seem to get a consistent 2 and a half minutes on turbo before the light turns down to high. At that point the collar of the light is certainly warm but not what I would call hot. I did try turning the light off for a few seconds, then back on to turbo for a minute and it got hot to the point that that it was uncomfortable., then back down as I have no desire to damage the light at this stage. Even on high, this thing can easily "out glo & out throw" my other dedicated throwers eg. T21vn, M25C2vn Turbo and TK61vn V1...., and if you really want to light something up, you still have another level. 

Well noted sir. Thank you.

star_c_star

Enlightened
I sent one of my two TN42vn90 V1's to be upgraded to V2.

Since I wanted to wait until the VNX3 driver could respond very quickly, it took a month or so. It was worth it. The VNX3 driver responds almost instantly.

Also, the TN42vn90 V2 is more powerful by about 200 Kcd according to my measurements. The VNX3 provides FAR more flexibility than the old 3-mode driver.

b8llzblue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one with the vnx3 but wth the slower response driver. I'm waiting for the v3 version where turbo can be memorized or is in the mode sequence before I ship mine back.
But this light is a monster. It puts a hot spot on a tree 350 feet away. I love it

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I'm having fun comparing the beamshot pictures of this compared to the X65vn.

Ace X65vn - - 11K Lumens - - 640Kcd - - 4.3" Diameter Head
TN42 90vn- - 5.5K Lumens - 1,200Kcd- - 3.94" Diameter Head

Personally I'd love a light with a beam profile between these 2 in terms of lumens vs. throw.
Can you put a CFT-90 emitter in a light with a smaller head - say an Acebeam K40M (3" diameter head) and get something like 5,000 lumens with 700Kcd in a more compact package?

Last edited: