Top Throw Flashlights by Battery Type

Tactical Michael

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I compiled a list of the top long range flashlight (throw) separated by battery type and by cost per meter of throw (to determine budget options). Might be helpful for anybody looking for a thrower. I researched lots of lights but I might have missed some, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do my results match what you think?

Thanks!

Sarlix

Enlightened
That is a very nice site you have there! Bookmarked for future reading. As for the list - nice and comprehensive, I could have done with it a couple of months ago. I don't agree with all your recommendations though.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good idea for forganizing throwers. The page does not format well on Firefox though for me. I don't see any Lux or cd measurements, did I miss them? The site seems lacking with out those measurements.

Tactical Michael

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input on Lux and cd standardbattery, when writing it I was thinking more from the point of view of somebody that didn't know as much about the technical specifications but was mostly interested in overall range.

Sarlix, which lights do you disagree with?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool website. Curious if you test all these lights yourself, or are using Selfbuilt's data? I don't have a feel for the larger lights but I have few questions on sub-3V.

AAA/10440 - the Peak Eiger Ultra on a 10440 didn't rate?

AA/CR123 - 47s sells component parts so the Quark Turbo AA head on 1AA/1CR123 body will be close to the Neutron 2A V2, and it should also take the 1CR123 class.

Perhaps only complete manufacturer models are included? Modders like Vihn not included either? :)

amaretto

Newly Enlightened
I miss lux or cd readings too.
M22 a budget thrower? Here are some more "budget-throwers" with 1x 18650/2x CR123A: Eagtac S200C2, M25C2

cjmorris

Enlightened
I love the website. I would be curious how the eagletac lights you mention compare in the real world.

Sarlix

Enlightened
Sarlix, which lights do you disagree with?
For some reason I missed the 'budget' part when I looked yesterday, so I have retracted my disagreements. However I do think the EA41 should be recommended over the EA4 since they basically cost the same anyway.

Tactical Michael

Newly Enlightened
Sarlix: Thanks for the input, I will take a look at that one.

Reppans: Yeah this list only has non-aspheric non-modded lights. Lights that are stock.

radu1976

Enlightened
Michael, I think that EAGLETAC S200C2 throws better than ARMYTEK PREDATOR XP-G2. I have the Vinh's version with dedomed XP-G2 but even the stock light throws better as it has a considerably larger head. PREDATOR is more pocketable though ... both great lights !

As far as it's about the 1xCR123 throwers wouldn't the SUREFIRE E1B be the best ... actually the latest E1B version ?? It's true that regulation isn't good at all but I think that EB1 is the best single CR123 thrower outhere.

In the single AA department the PELICAN 2350 might be the best thrower. Mine puts around 5,500lux which can be translated into almost 150m range throw.

Before there used to be very good throwers for AA and CR123 departments : ITP SC1 and SA1 ELUMA ... both were putting close to 6,000 lux so over 150m range ! The first gen. with XP-E emitters.

Last edited:

Tactical Michael

Newly Enlightened
Great info radu, I looked at the s200c2 but I couldn't find any independent tests...

I will have to take a look at the surefire eb1 and pelican 2350.

funkychateau

Enlightened
Good information on the flashlights you presented, made me aware of a couple I had not studied.

I would like to make a suggestion for your comparison though. When you say, for example, "The longest throwing flashlight that only uses a single AA battery is the Thrunite Neutron A2 V2. This a fantastic flashlight that is very efficient, it beats most of the other single AA flashlights in our test by over 20 meters", it is not that meaningful if you don't state which other single AA flashlights were actually in your test. You are only showing the winners, without noting what others you chose to be "in the contest".

Also, near the top of your first page, I would disagree with your assertion that the most common way to make a long thrower flashlight is to use a parabolic reflector with the LED mounted at the focus as shown in your illustration. This is actually a fairly-uncommon technique, sometimes referred to as a recoil or reflex thrower. The problem is that it is very difficult to establish a good thermal path from the LED to a heatsink while avoiding blocking the light. For filament (incandescent) lights, however, your diagram would represent the common arrangement.

Most lights will have the LED mounted on a heatsink/base at the bottom of the reflector, which improves thermal performance.

I'd say the most-common arrangements are (1) reflectorized, with base-mounted LED and (2) aspheric lens, with base-mounted LED.

TIR optics seem to be a distant third option, but it seems that it could be quite impressive if someone decided to build a large TIR specifically for throw. The downside might be weight.

Last edited:

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Nice to see the Olight M3X get some attention. As you mentioned, no frills, it just works.