Totally green in this matter. Every-day use rechargable flashlight?

Auror

Newly Enlightened
ok - I'm convinced :)
just couple more thoughts. What are the differences between the models? I mean D2AX, D2TX, HX, AF etc.? Does only the $109.50 one come with the charger? And can I get also an extra battery at once?

PS. Do they ship from Australia? If so is it more expensive and takes longer than usually?

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Glen from Quarterflash is great to deal with, best to drop him an email [email protected] as i am not sure the Defender II is up on his website just yet. The Defenders that you see on there are the incan versions so don't see to read too much into them.

I believe the Defender II comes as a full kit (mine didn't as i didn't need the charger) and comes with the charger, battery and everything required. only decision you will have to make if you want the standard LED lamp assembly or the HO version. You can buy an extra baterry when you order the light, quite a good idea gives your dad a back up. And i am pretty sure that Glen does ship from Australia, i recall other people asking about it previously.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
I am not sure about recommending lithium-ion technology to a non-flashoholic.Is he going to come here and learn the proper,safe way to use it?Or will he just leave the battery in the charger for weeks at a time?

Take a look at the UK e-zoom rechargable.Not the latest high tech but plenty bright enough,tough as anything,waterproof,rated for hazardous areas(like refueling generator),five hours runtime.Plus it is made to just leave it in the charger base ready to grab when lights go out.

See it here:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/UK_4AA_eLED_Zoom_Rechargeable_Flashlight.php

Andy

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Wolf eyes cells are protected anyway so not to much of a worry really, besides that i don't think it is to much to ask to turn off the charger once the light goes green.

Even my new camera has a Li Ion battery in it with no special mention of battery care etc.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Surefire C3 Centurion with two 17500 rechargeable batteries and an HO-9 lamp assembly. The lamp will run on three CR123A batteries as well in case I need more runtime and don't have access to a charger or can't wait for a recharge. I very much like this setup, bright and versatile. I can put any other 9 volt assembly in it such as the P90, P91, EO-9, ect. according to my needs, but the HO-9 generally fits them all and stays in the light 98% of the time lately.

ak645

Newly Enlightened
Wolf eyes cells are protected anyway so not to much of a worry really, besides that i don't think it is to much to ask to turn off the charger once the light goes green.

Even my new camera has a Li Ion battery in it with no special mention of battery care etc.

Yes W-E cells are protected.If continually overcharged the protected cells lifetime will be measured in weeks,months not years.If over discharged even less.

If the original poster is buying the light for himself I'd just refer him to the battery and electronics forum to read up on Li-Ions.Since this is a gift for his father it would be up to the OP to educate him.

Your new camera probably had very competent engineers designing protection circuitry directly into the camera.The use of loose Li-Ion cells is much different and requires much more care.It is not for everyone.

I love lithium primary and lithium ion rechargables and use them in all my lights.But with few exceptions I would not give such a light as a gift.Especially to my father.

Andy

TxShooter

Newly Enlightened
How about a Streamlight SL20XP-LED? http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=89 The polymer case makes it easy to carry, and combined with the rubber gripsleeve will still be comfortable to hold in cold or wet weather. It has a decent enough spot beam plus three LEDs for up close tasks.

The main bulb or LEDs can be left on and placed into the charger. They'll shut off, but will come on again if the power fails. Advertised runtime is 1.5 hours on the primary bulb or 40 on the LEDs, with at least an hour for the LEDs once the battery is too discharged for the main bulb to work.

They carry well enough in a hip pocket, and can be tucked under the arm when both hands are needed.

Last edited: