Travel Kit

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I travel often enough with my job that I decided a dedicated torch kit was in order.

For normal EDC use, my 1CR123 MDC body with VME head and M61NLL drop-in serves perfectly. However, I prefer to carry something a bit more capable when traveling. My 3P clone with M361 V219B v3 fits the bill nicely - greater capability with little gain in size and weight. Like the MDC light, I normally carry the 3P "naked" in the bottom of an otherwise empty front pocket.

Poking around on the CountyComm website, I found two items that are perfect for my travel kit: their NEO Elastic Pouch and Delrin 18650 Battery Locker.

The pouch is perfectly sized to carry both the 3P clone and the battery locker. With both the light and locker in the pouch, it all fits very comfortably in a front pocket, the light protected from dings and scratches. I can fit two Keeppower IMR 18350 flat top cells in the locker, storing plenty of extra fuel if needed. The pouch has front and rear pockets, so the light and locker are separated by a layer of elastic fabric.

I'll be traveling with the new kit next week, and it seems it will be just the ticket.

travelkit-1.jpg

travelkit-2.jpg

travelkit-3.jpg

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dig the kit. It would almost be liberating to travel with one flashlight. If I'm planning a trip, I agonize for hours over how many lights, of what sort, and of what power source to carry.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Very nice travel setup there! Digging that 18650 battery locker from CC, might have to pick one of those up. :)

NH Lumens

Enlightened
If I'm driving I'll carry multiple lights, especially when visiting family. When I travel by air and will be staying in hotels, I don't care to leave expensive lights in the room while I work during the day. It's for those cases I put this kit together so it can stay with me at all times.

bignc

Enlightened
I do have storacells and pelicans for batteries but some of you guys mentioned some of county comms stuff last year and I bit. I carry the same neo pouches (I only have like 4 or 5) and the delrin lockers. A great solution.

I am a little like Mod though- I agonize a bit before travel.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If I were to bring just one light while traveling. Or at anytime actually, I'd need some serious counseling afterwards😁😂😂😂

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Yep 3 seems to be the number I feel comfortable with. With 2 if one dies you loose your backup. With 3 your Covered covered.

Sos24

Enlightened
Nice kit. I agree the CC battery lockers are nice.

My travel kit usually consists of my edc plus two for a total of four lights.
EDC:
- HDS with 325nlt
- Niteye Mini1 with HCRI on keychain
Added for travel
- Use to be Olight S1 Mini (recently replaced by FourSevens Mini, which will probably replace the Niteye Mini1 when the keychain adapter comes available) - this a spare light or additional spare battery
- Fenix E05 - on the unlikely chance all others fail, I have a decent light in a very easy to find battery (AAA)
- I also have a spare 16340 in a CC CR123 delrin locker and recently added a Nightcore LC10 so I can recharge the batteries if needed.

The spare extra lights and battery locker all fit in a Chums wallet and I put the LC10 in an old Anker cord wrap.
11d6b8e0b08b739d28d9d3ee43c97c7d.jpg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice kit, I couldn't pick just one light. For my travel I usually have at least 4 lights.

My EDC- an HDS 325 NLT, I switch between the CR123 and 18650 tubes. I like the size of the CR123 tube better but the capacity of the 18650 plus the ability to standardize my lights on 18650s wins for travel. A headlamp, Zebralight H600Fc. A convoy C8 by MTN electronics- for throw/fun. A Sofirn C01s for the AAA backup spot.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Thanks sos. I keep an olight magnetic charger in my van so I can charge my cells if I ever need to but that LC10 looks like a really nice setup.Havent seen it before. Being able to use it as a power bank and the backup light is pretty cool.got one on the way.

Sos24

Enlightened
Thanks sos. I keep an olight magnetic charger in my van so I can charge my cells if I ever need to but that LC10 looks like a really nice setup.Havent seen it before. Being able to use it as a power bank and the backup light is pretty cool.got one on the way.

The LC10 is a recent addition, so I don't have a long term impression. Previously, I would travel with 16340s with micro usb ports for charging, but thought I would give this a try for its versatility.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Well it peaked my interest. For what/how I plan to use it I'm sure it will be good

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously, I'm not as organised as you lot, but I do have a small emergency power pack in the truck.
It's an Xtar PB2 with a couple of 18650s in and an Xtar XP1, so I can charge my 16340s or use the 18650s. The PB2 with also charge my phone if the giant Anker juice pack that I have attached to the sun visor ever gives up.
P

bignc

Enlightened
I always have a battery pack and small solar panel with me. I use the panel to top off the pack (s) and the pack with either my olight magnetic chargers or my xtars. I have several of the mc1 and PLUS stashed about and usually one travels.

I mean, I have layers of EDC and " get home bag" stuff that I pull from depending on distance from home. Same for lights.

Have not worried about what type of battery the lights use since I bring plenty of rechargeable batteries and primaries. I usually have 3-4 lights. AAa, AA,123, 16340 and 18650...

Jimmyboots

Enlightened
This is what I travel with these days. I find that getting around 120lm from the E1T on eneloops fits most of my need and usually carry a smaller keychain light as well. I really like the four sevens smart charger and the the LC10 looks even better, but the Nitecore websites doesn't show it being compatible with NiMH AA's.

872BFFEC-7530-4112-BED7-CBF7D82A5A79.jpg

I got a Foursevens in last week and expecting a E1HT this week so my travel pack might change soon.

Latest posts