Tritium, Strontium Aluminate & 25 9000+ mcd Nicha's

Doug Meister

Newly Enlightened
Re: Tritium, Strontium Aluminate & 25 9000+ mcd Nicha\'s

Where do you get the glow powder? And what does Tritium have to do with it? I'm in the dark as to what to do here. Anybody with answeres?
<font color=blue>--Ðøug
Rolleyes3.gif
</font>

B@rt

Flashaholic

Hi Doug,
The Tritium is what exites the phosphor in the glowring inserts used in this mod.

Glowpowder can be bought from various sources, but I got mine from Electrolumens for $10/ounce.
icon14.gif

Hope this helps,

flash....

Enlightened

Zelandeth: the glowrings alone are $8.00 a piece before shipping.. $8x8=$64.00 in glowrings alone.
Add 43.75 for the LED's and a few bucks for the epoxy and glow powder plus the flashlight. (can't forget labor
grin.gif
)
This thing really starts to get expensive... Yes I've lost my mind as I keep spending ca$h on my addiction.
(admission is the first step to recovery.)
Short of it is... I am not ready to sell yet...
I need to be happy with the design first and when I'm finished I will then decide if I should inflict my work on others...
icon15.gif

Albany Tom: I used flightline Hobbies 15 min mid-cure epoxy... mostly clear but I no longer recommend the quick stuff as the problems with air bubbles and a possible thermal issue as it gets pretty warm during cure time... I was a tad worried about the tritium glass nodules for a min or two. I am going to experiment with some new slow cure epoxy's soon.

Slick: Yep, a more premium light will be the host for the next effort. This light was the test bed.
It is still a cool light for the cash. it's completely water proof. (left it run at the bottom of my pool for more than an hour... no worries.

vcal: Great name suggestion's (XGLO - EternaGlow) I may use one of those for the next revision.

Doug Meister: The glow powder comes from:
http://www.readysetglo.com/products.html
And it is cool stuff! Fun to work with. My kids love it as I have mixed it in everything from Elmer's to clear glitter paint.

I will probably use BB700's from dat2zip to power 1W and 5W LS's.. Even toying with the Idea for a Royal Blue one! Shame that LS's don't come in UV.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

dental blue is pretty close to uv...as the name suggests, it is used by dentists. they use it to cure uv epoxy, future has them for the meager price of $43
icon15.gif
(for the 5w at least, i don't know if they have 1w dentals)

again...i really love that light!

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast

>luxeon that puts out a lot of UV
>dental blue ... to cure UV epoxy

Do they also sell the blue-blocking eyeshades required for safe use? Everyone around you wearing them all the time?

Please remember that blue-to-UV light will cause _no_pain_ in the eyes.

You can use those, pain-free, for months, mayb3e years.

Cumulative damage adds up. Eventually, you can't see detail at the center of vision because the macula is degraded; later your retina comes off the back of your eye and you are blind.

You won't ever feel any pain. Physically, anyhow.

Info is in the Cafe' topic http://www.candlepowerforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=000763[url]

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm...OK then...think I'll find the parts and figure out how to build something based on that then....once I figure out where to get the parts from. LEDs...no bother. Glow powder, slightly trickier but I have seen it around. Glowrings...now they're going to take a bit more research. Flashlight to start out with - easy, just go find one that's cheap but looks decent.

Right, now to find them Glowrings....

Zel.