U2 battery question...rechargeables? Please help!

Somy Nex

Enlightened
greenLED said:
Isn't it safe to remove the outside wrapped on AW's new cells? (*don't do this* unless AW confirms - I just seem to have read it somewhere but am not 100% sure).

It's safe to remove that metallic-reflective wrapper, leaving you the black plastic wrapped battery. in fact, they are designed such that they are easily removed should you need to remove them.

I wouldn't remove the black stuff =P

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your answer NoFair. :) No, I didn't buy at CO and Vanson products have been mentioned in these forums. When it comes to vendors I have been very impressed by Lighthound and will continue to shop with him.

:goodjob:

Thanks to CandleForums I will not use rechargeables in my U2, which, btw, has been returned to SF for repairs, but in my HDS. I'm curious, though, how manufacturers can get away with false advertising. On the Vanson box it even says that it is made especially for cameras and torches! (I know its just dim-witted advertising but still).

TENMMIKE

Enlightened
SURE I CAN see that but a clip change and a tail switch. are a little different then the main body any way ill bet if we follow more u-2 owners whose numbers are around his ,and above mine we will find the point of transission , this could help some people get what they want,(im 3 round flats(no knurrling) sn A10377, mine came with insert its about 3-4 months old,
greenLED said:
Because we've had instances in the past where serial numbers where not indicative of current revision. For example, I remember people reporting shiny clips (old version clips were dull) without plastic sleeve inside the body, while others were reporting shiny clips with plastic sleeves (I had one of the latter, that's why I remember this detail).

NAW

Enlightened
Does anybody know if those 2200mah 18650 batteries from lighthound.com work in the U2? Someone said they don't but I want more opinions.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
NAW said:
Does anybody know if those 2200mah 18650 batteries from lighthound.com work in the U2? Someone said they don't but I want more opinions.

I should think they work perfectly. But just to be safe send him an e-mail and ask. He sells the U2 as well so he can try it. These are the same as AWs btw..

Flyhigh: Why aren't you going to be using rechargeables? If your U2 isn't the newest with the 18mm tube a 18650 or two should make your light perfect. Lighthound sells good cells and chargers..

Just wait for a replacement from SF and measure it before ordering 18650s...
In light of the latest 2 cell flashlight explosions one should think single Li-ion use became even more desirable:)

On the HDS; it should be able to use any rechargeable 123 size cell, it does protect unprotected cells so the Vanson should be ok in that.

PS! you'll love your HDS I think, I've been carrying mine every day since I got it a year ago.

Last edited:

Flyhigh

Newly Enlightened
NoFair said:
I should think they work perfectly. But just to be safe send him an e-mail and ask. He sells the U2 as well so he can try it. These are the same as AWs btw..

Flyhigh: Why aren't you going to be using rechargeables? If your U2 isn't the newest with the 18mm tube a 18650 or two should make your light perfect. Lighthound sells good cells and chargers..

Just wait for a replacement from SF and measure it before ordering 18650s...
In light of the latest 2 cell flashlight explosions one should think single Li-ion use became even more desirable:)

On the HDS; it should be able to use any rechargeable 123 size cell, it does protect unprotected cells so the Vanson should be ok in that.

PS! you'll love your HDS I think, I've been carrying mine every day since I got it a year ago.
I'll probably try using rechargeables when I get my U2 back from Surefire. God only knows what model I'll get though. I hear that the latest model needs to be drilled out in order to take rechargeables, that's too much of a hassle for me.

Do you prefer your HDS over your U2?

Vanson are protected and I'll try them with my HDS when it arrives. I ordered with Lighthound and he seems to be very efficient and has fair pricing as well. If everything works out well I'll definitively order from him again.

What battery explosions?

albino

Newly Enlightened
hallo, i orderd a U2 and mow i do not know if i will get one with or without plastic.

i called surefire customer service:
and asked for if they reccomend using rechargables for the U2.
answer: no!
why?
answer: we do not reccomend
ok, but would it fit and the light would work porporly?
answer: no! thanks for calling, and by:dedhorse: :xyxgun:

so i'm still "in the air",

can is use it?

i would love using 18650,

are they safe in the light´?

would i loose warranty?

please help.

greenLED

Flashaholic
albino, welcome to CPF!

Yes, the U2 can be used with li-ion batteries, but, SF does not endorse, promote, guarantee, or otherwise acknowledge the option of using li-ions with their lights. In fact, doing so voids your warranty (if something were to go wrong).

Make sure to read up on li-ion battery safety before using this type of battery; there's a sticky thread on the batteries section of CPF.

greenLED

Flashaholic
cheapo said:
ALSO, IF I GET A BRAND NEW U2, IS THERE ANY RECHARGABLE BATTERY SOLUTION FOR IT??? (UNPROTECTED ONES MAYBE??)
Please don't yell - there is no need for that. :thumbsdow

As far as your question goes: if you read this thread you will find the answer to your question. I wouldn't recommend you used unprotected cells.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
no its not the same.
It's from a different camera angle, and one picture has the rubber switch guard removed from the SW02 tailcap. It sure looks like the same paracord lanyard in each.

I dunno... maybe it is a different light. It's still a U2 with a SW02 tailswitch.

What's the source for these images? I'd be interested to see if there are any more. I've been poking around here:
http://www.flashlight-fan.com/flame_page/english/frame_flashlight_english.htm

...but haven't been able to find the ones you've linked.

greenLED

Flashaholic
TENMMIKE said:
SURE I CAN see that but a clip change and a tail switch. are a little different then the main body any way ill bet if we follow more u-2 owners whose numbers are around his ,and above mine we will find the point of transission , this could help some people get what they want,(im 3 round flats(no knurrling) sn A10377, mine came with insert its about 3-4 months old,
TENMIKE, a bit more info; I received my RMA U2 earlier today: Serial A11281... you guys ready for what comes next? .... no plastic sleeve!!!

but... (there had to be a "but")

ID of the batt tube is 17.42mm... :awman: Not large enough... :mecry:

Oh, yeah, the clip is shiny.

NAW

Enlightened
greenLED said:

You can still use the 17670 cell right? I dont know the dimensions.

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
greenLED said:
TENMIKE, a bit more info; I received my RMA U2 earlier today: Serial A11281... you guys ready for what comes next? .... no plastic sleeve!!!

but... (there had to be a "but")

Oh, yeah, the clip is shiny.

replacement body? or new light?

-David

Last edited:

albino

Newly Enlightened
i don't understand surfire :scowl:,

what is the problem that they did and do so many changes to this U2 ?

why surefire is doing evrything possible to prvent using rechargables?

please, i want to understand, what is there motivation!