UK 2AAA Mini...

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since joining CPF, I've had somewhat of an affinity with small incandescent lights...I'm always trying to find the smallest light with the best output and throw. I got a UK 2AAA Mini Pocket Light yesterday, and wanted to post a few observations I had. First of all, it is in fact very bright for it's size. Most of the comments I've read here at CPF have stated that it easily out-throws the PT Blast. Maybe some do...but mine doesn't. As far as throw is concerned, they're almost identical. As far as beam quality, the Blast wins. (...on one of my Blasts, anyway. I also have a Blast that has a horrible beam...it almost looks like a carnation when I shine it on a white surface. I'm tempted to think that the bulb of the Blast is too small for the size of the dimples in the reflector...). While I am pleased with how easily the UK pockets compared to the Blast (because of the smaller bezel), as with other AAA lights with clear bezels, the backwash of light is, to me, intolerable. I have a Pelican Super Mitylight that I "shredded" in a post a few months back, but have since reconsidered since replacing the lamp assembly with the same size sold by Browning. The thing I like about the Pel SML is that the bezel is black...not clear...so there's no backwash. When the engineers at Pelican, UK, Hubbel, PT, etc. are designing these lights, don't they find the backwash from clear bezels and transluscent bodies as annoying as most of "us" do
confused.gif
...When I use a flashlight, I sort of prefer to have the light shine in front of me...not back in my eyes (I'm kinda funny that way
rolleyes.gif
). Anyway, I do like the UK Mini Pocket Light...I think it will be a handy little light, and it's brightness is impressive for it's size...I just wish some of these manufacturers would get away from bezels and bodies (i.e. the Attitude) that put light back in your eyes. The lights are supposed to be shined in OTHER peoples eyes
grin.gif
grin.gif

PJD

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
The UK Mini-2AAA seems to come in several flavors. Some are packaged with a nice clip and key ring - others not. The body can come in either opaque (usually yellow or black) or translucent (red, blue, grey) plastic.

Yes I hate backspill - to the point of using a PT Rage body for an Attitude lamp module. Some non-flashaholics seem to LIKE the shine, so they get Attitude bodies with Rage lamps for gifts. Just check out the plastic sided, internally lit PC cases to see how this unfortunate fad has taken hold.

Back to the UK Mini-2AAA, the flat side by side battery configuration makes it easy to twist the head to turn on. I use photographers black masking tape around the bezel - light tight and not slippery. Doesn't leave goo behind like electrical tape, just replace when it gets ratty.

There is an optional red LED lamp for the Mini-2AAA that gets a lot of use in my darkroom. Bright Guy has them.

For the incandescent lamp, try a layer of Fellowes WriteRight monochrome PDA film to even it right up.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've become increasingly disgusted with PT for switching to transulcent cases. They never really fixed the backspill from the Tec20/40, and then they start making (even headlamps) with those glowing cases. It's hard to take them seriously sometimes.

Obviously, it's undesirable to throw light back in your face when you're using a flashlight. These guys need to get back to designing serious flashlights, not pretty looking toys.

I don't have the UKE 2AAA, but if this is the case, I won't be buying one.

End of rant.

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
Lux,

Most sport scuba gear seems to be moving toward the pimpware motif, and UK is right in the middle of the trend. If you think the lights are bad, check the wetsuits. I can't imagine a commercial diver wearing that getup, he would be laughed off the oil rig.

The iMac style flashlight case that bugs me most on the Attitude. It's such a nice size and shape and performance, but overpriced when you factor in the rage body to kill the spill.

Bright Guy has the solid body black UK Mini-2AAA with no spill except from the bezel, and the solid yellow with not that much.

Hmmm, just had a thought - has anyone used black heat shrink tubing to cover clear bezels? Seems it would be neat and effective.

Latest posts