Unexpected disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't worry. The eye work mainly on comparisons. It is very diffucult, not to say rare, to develop the ability to identify the absolute color composition of a light beam.

You can exercize with any graphic software, choosing a color and guessing its RGB composition.
Once you master this ability, then you have to start all over by using only blue and yellow.
At the end of the process, you will be able to identify the color composition of Nichias and Luxeons, and you will realize that LS-Ps are the most stable in color composition, varying from slightly purplish to slightly greenish, and they are the closest to "real" white of any other Luxeon based light.

Regards

Anthony

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
Bill,

Don't pet it use it and use it a lot. You will find that that it indeed a tool more than anything else.

Mednanu

Enlightened
Yeah - I had an ARC LS that was turning kind of green. But next to an L4 that looked totally white, the LS looked blue tinted, even though the phospor in the ARC's LED was actually separating from the die, which caused it to look green again if viewed by itself.......

You'll go crazy comparing them.

The phosphor in your ARC's luxeon 'may' be separating from the die, causing it to go greenER over time, but in all reality, the subjective side by side test is just, well, ..... subjective.

If you don't have a kelvin meter (as most of us still don't), a FLAT, perfectly white piece of paper placed on the wall is the best target to use to judge color balance (w/o a kelvin meter of course). Shine the light STRAIGHT onto the paper after having not looked at your other lights for a while. Does it still look greener than when you bought it ? If it does, it's most likely phosphor separating from the luxeon die. If not, it was your brain trying to auto-calibrate between all of your different flashlights' color outputs.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Mednanu said:

The phosphor in your ARC's luxeon 'may' be separating from the die, causing it to go greenER over time, but in all reality, the subjective side by side test is just, well, ..... subjective.

[/ QUOTE ]

How common is that? I'd be quite annoyed if any of my Luxeon flashlights got greener as they aged.

Mednanu

Enlightened
I'd say it's becoming less and less common as Luxeon perfects their processes. I had one of the first few Rev 2 ARC LS'es, purchased while everyone was still having problems with very inconsistent Luxeon quality. It saw a lot of use ( at least 20 - 30 minutes a day ) which no doubt contributed to the wear and tear factor on the LED due to heat ( as a third of the hotspot eventually went dark ).

It's no reflection on ARC's quality, as the ARC performed great through it all. It's just Luxeon which was churning out less than perfect emitters. That does come with the territory when you live on the 'bleeding edge' of innovation though. You've got to realize, while we've known about and been using Luxeons for years, the general public still hasn't really even heard of them yet (will probably be several years before they catch on, too).

I'd bet that it is less and less common to find in the current crop of emitters though, and will become less prevalent as time goes by.

*Retired*
You know, it would be nice if ARC gave hard specs on their products.

For example, x= 0.3127 +/-0.0002 y= 0.3290 +/-0.0002 for Premiums, or whatever you want to use as the white target temperature, such as D65 illuminant.

? D65 has become the dominant standard.
? D65 corresponds to a color temperature of 6500K.
- D65 is the color of sunlight.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sean said:
Side by side comparisons are always telling. You are always going to get LED's on either the green or blue side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the pink to violet side (would that be a reddish tint)?. Four of my Arcs (2 LSH and 2 Arc 4's) have a pink to violet tint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that's true.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Violet would be red and blue.
1.red/green
2.yellow/blue
Everything is a variation of those.

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Red and blue is a lot of things, just depends on how much red, and how much blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts