Variable Output ?

db

Newly Enlightened
I've been thinking Gladius, primarily for the variable output.
Due to size, I'm not convinced that I'd carry it though.
That's quite a lot of $$$ for something to sit on a shelf, or ride in a glovebox.
I currently carry either an L1P or QIIILi-ion.
Tried carrying a TTL2, but the smaller lights won. (and I don't care for the switching on the TTL2.)

How does the output and usability of the 16 lvl CPF light compare to the Gladius?

The price points are quite different, but for general (non-tactical) use, would the 16lvl light be a suitable substitute?

The output numbers of the two lights, at flashlight reviews, are pretty similar.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/britestuff_vari-brite.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/night-ops_gladius.htm
Looks like the 16lvl has a bit more flood?

Having all controls in one place on the Gladius is a plus, as is the build quality and warranty. That's a lot of dough though....

I've got a SLPP4aaLux, and have read that the Gladius throws similarily?
The chart at FlashReview seems to confirm that.

Thanks.
Don

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
Of course, there are also the Surefire U2 and LionHeart that are my favorites. I am still impressed with the light output from the LionHeart and from such a small package.

Cheers,
Tim

vic303

Enlightened
I've handled a Gladius via a passaround and it was a nice light. NOt all that complicated to use, but the price puts me off. Free, sure! Am considering a Striker VG for about 100$ instead, and of course I'm about halfway committed to getting a 4w CPF vb16 light! I think I can convince my spouse that we can 'use' the cpf special more easily than the VG or Gladius (unless free) as the cpf light is half that of the Striker...+/-.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not really considered buying the Gladius or the U2 due to the bulk and the price though the bulk is what would stop me from carrying it, not the price. I'd put the Striker in the same bulk class.

I recently got one of the 4W CPF lights from Wits' End. Not only is it a great light with flexable power options, Wits' End is a great guy to deal with.

One of the things I liked most about the CPF light is that it can be run on primary 123s, rechargeable R123s or a single 18650 cell. I try to use rechargeables whenever possible and the single 18650 gives 50% better runtime than the 2 R123s. Size-wise, the CPF light is ever so slightly larger than a Maxfire or G2.

Also, the Gladius comes with an IMS27mm reflector and with a bit of work, you can fit the exact same reflector into the CPF light.

I like the concept of a multi level light but owning several of them, in all honesty, 16 levels is over kill in my opinion for a pocket sized light. Ideally, I'd like a light with 2 levels, both current regulated that could run on primary 123s, R123s or a single 18650 but the cheapest option I know of is well over $200. So the $60 something of the CPF light is an outstanding value by comparison.

If you haven't done so, be sure to look into the Aleph series of lights... you get to pick the size reflector/head you want (which also decides the balance of throw vs brightness of spillbeam), the number of cells you want (1, 2 or 3 123 cells) and which design of tailcap you want. You also get to pick the exact bin of LED you want used in your light and you get to select how 'low' you want your 'low' setting to be.

They aren't cheap, but they are very nice.

db

Newly Enlightened
I've got some additional research to do.

Thanks for the input !

Tremendo

Enlightened
Just got in from a walk with my 4 year old son. U2, E2D & Maxfire LX. Man I love my U2 for walks. The various power levels and flood & good throw. My #1 all purpose light (also the big $).

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'm a great believer in variable brightness lights. I own the Gladius, and two VB-16s, one a three watt and one a four. They compare favorably to the Gladius in terms of output. VB and Gladius will both go very dim. The VB has two buttons for dimming, one for up, one for down. The Gladius used one, though dims at a manageable speed. My VBs are more precise to control, having fewer levels and two buttons, but it's a minor thing. The Gladius has more overall features, but the VBs cost a lot less. All good lights.

I agree two levels is sufficient, most of the time. I've come to appreciate having more levels over time, though five or six is plenty. Choice is good.

I've outfitted both my VBs with a clickie, as twisties don't really do it for me. You can also get a LuxV version of these lights as well.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are used to a much smaller light, the flanges on the Gladius might be a problem. It is a difficult light to carry except in a pouch or in a jacket pocket. It is not a pants pocket light.

Scott

Pwdrkeg

Enlightened
Surefire U2 ............ :thumbsup:

A small well machined all-round lithium powered variable
projector of bright white photons with functional simplicity.
The beam is well balanced with a good compromise between
a flood and a spot, a magnificent design, and a tough exterior
finish with a warranty that is one of the best in the business.
It can also use rechargeable Li-ion batteries.

A great all-around light !

Last edited:

Luxman

Enlightened
Another +1 on the HDS Ultimate light.
I have the Ultimate 60 and it is the most Versatile light I have due to its MANY features/functions and variable intensity quality beam.