Vewing a laser with rose colored glasses

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
Humm ... the prescription lightly red tinted galsses I use for sailing I found cut the 40mw green beam to about 30mw. One sheet of dimestore red cello cuts the green beam from 40 mw to about 5 mw of power.

I checked this with my green laser meter. If anyone can prove me wrong please do. it looks like any 'red filter' will block most of its power.

Disclamer: This information provided does not, or will not supercede the use of approved OSHA or OEM laser asfety goggles for your specific laser's wavelength. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Spec

Newly Enlightened
Its not that it blocks it as much as its absorbed and turned into heat.

Your power meter is accurate, not much gets through, however I would not trust celophane(sp) as eye protection.

Remember the video of a PGL cutting through a red cup? Same thing is happening here and when it goes you dont want to be "on the business end"

And now you know why the coatings they use on real safety lenses are so amazingly expensive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anything that can take >10W CW and not immolate has my admiration.

Raccoon

Enlightened
I've made this same observation with flavored sodas and coolaid. My 33mW cannot penetrate anything that contains RED 40 dye.

Having tested this thuoroughly enough, I would personally trust such glasses as a means of minimal protection to, at the very least, prevent your eyes from getting tired/worn-out by reflected laser light.

If you have a specific brand, luckytexan, please share it with the class.

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
>>And now you know why the coatings they use on real safety lenses are so amazingly expensive.

-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks for clearing that up mate-- nice to know the money on me goggles was well spent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

luckytexan

Newly Enlightened
>>I've made this same observation with flavored sodas and >>coolaid. My 33mW cannot penetrate anything that contains RED >>40 dye.

-=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-
Then its settled mate, anything with an red interfierence will block a green laser. I just tried a glass of red wine with me 40 mw -- nothing got thru to the meter. its way cool.

Raccoon

Enlightened
Trick now is to find an affordable red coating that still lets through some green light in order to make them useful.

Can't imagine what I'd do with a beam I couldn't see.