Walmart Bargains

Bror Jace

Enlightened
When Walmart reorganizes their flashlight section (like most are doing now with the introduction of the Mag-Lite LEDs) they often have left over or discontinued lights at a deep, deep discount.

In the last 2-3 weeks, I hit up most of the Walmarts in the greater Albany area and found three older Garrity lights at two of them:

2 Garrity 2AA aluminum lights
1 Garrity 2D "stainless" light w/ xenon bulb

These lights (that I recognized as older models - most stores no longer carried) were hung on pegs which did not accurately describe them. On a hunch, I brought the first to a scanner and it showed $3 as the actual price. The 2nd showed the same. I bought both as these originally went for $5-$6+ a couple years ago. Both included alkaline batteries.

Today, I saw the 2D Garrity stainless at a different store and on the same hunch, I brought it to a scanner and it showed $2.50. :D Heck, the batteries alone (Duracells, marked good until 2012) are almost worth that price!! :)

Now I have a few decent lights I can loan out or just give away as favors to a friends, family members or a neighbor in need. :)

Next time you are perusing the flashlight section at Wally World (or some other store) be sure to carefully check out lights that don't seem to belong. ;)

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
Bror Jace said:
Now I have a few decent lights I can loan out or just give away

I had a $2.99 light I tried to use for a SMJLED host, but didn't like the beam so I put the bulb back in and gave it to my next door neighbor. Six year old boy with three sisters and a baby brother. His Mom is a stay at home Mom and these kids don't get many presents. I wish you could have seen his face.

Marlite

Enlightened
Ken 222 said:
I had a $2.99 light I tried to use for a SMJLED host, but didn't like the beam so I put the bulb back in and gave it to my next door neighbor. Six year old boy with three sisters and a baby brother. His Mom is a stay at home Mom and these kids don't get many presents. I wish you could have seen his face.

Hey Ken

There you go again using up everybodies Karma and 3 months early too. Can't imagine what you'll do then. You know the Walmart 84 cent special was the best! Try the Wally World Rayovac 2AA Playboy Joe says it works good.

Cheers to ya again, Marlite

ecnica

Newly Enlightened
I seen about 4 of the maglights 4d for $12 yesterday, I also picked up one of those 2AA Rayovac swivel lite for $1.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
ecnica said:
I seen about 4 of the maglights 4d for $12 yesterday, I also picked up one of those 2AA Rayovac swivel lite for $1.
The swivel for $1? Man, that's hard to beat. I got it for $4 and thought it was a bargin.
It's doing a runtime with a SMJLED PR2 right now, over 3 weeks and stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill going!
Only problem is it flickers like mad when you touch it. Way too touchy. I'll try streching the contacts out in the bottom piece, and see if that stops it.

Ken 222

Newly Enlightened
Marlite [size=3 said:
Hey Ken

There you go again.... [/size]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: Thanks Vic. Wasn't planning to hijack the thread but I don't think you can delete a post here.

I got a 99 cent 2AA light at Sears the other day. There's no name on it but the batteries say Dorcy. It works pretty well with a SMJLED even though the reflector is smooth. No tail cap like the little Wal-mart one.

Ken

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually your Wal*Mart stores are late with the reset. That was supposed to have been done over a month ago (the dates were on a confidential Wal*Mart memo that I saw ... they left it posted on the wall :) ). So the markdowns that you're seeing may have probably already occurred in most other areas. For the best deep discounts check out Target's clearances, they have a pattern of starting at 25% progressing to 50%, and finally to 66% markdowns with occasional handwritten markdowns that are all but giving it away.

With regards to the 84¢ 2AA lights, they're back up on the shelf under the "Value Brights by RayOVac" branding.

Bror Jace said:
When Walmart reorganizes their flashlight section (like most are doing now with the introduction of the Mag-Lite LEDs) they often have left over or discontinued lights at a deep, deep discount.

ecnica

Newly Enlightened
I might have to check other wallyworlds since my 3 1/2 year old is trying to take that light from me :touche: , but at least I have turned him to the dark side (oops I mean the brightside).

Omega Man said:
The swivel for $1? Man, that's hard to beat. I got it for $4 and thought it was a bargin.
It's doing a runtime with a SMJLED PR2 right now, over 3 weeks and stiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiill going!
Only problem is it flickers like mad when you touch it. Way too touchy. I'll try streching the contacts out in the bottom piece, and see if that stops it.

Last edited:

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Brighteyez, actually the upgrade has been going on here for a month or more. My point was that some of these odd, old-stock lights are still probably available for a pittance in stores throughout the country.

But I hadn't seen these odd, old-stock lights in a while. You never know when they'll appear ... and it's just another good reason to check the flashlight aisle each time you stop in the store ... as if you don't already. ;)

I do the same thing at Target ... just waiting for another River Rock clearance. :D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the stores probably haven't cleared out their discontinued stuff yet, but most probably have by now. I don't doubt that you can probably still find some stores that haven't done or completed their resets yet, so there is still the potential of finding some bargains, but I think it's a bit less than it was say 3-4 weeks ago.

I walked into one store and their entire flashlight display, everything, was in a pile on the bottom of the rack. Everything had been taken off the rack, hooks and all, and everything was just sitting in a pile, including the (then new) Mag 3W LED Upgrade modules mixed in with Cinderella lights.

Bror Jace said:
Brighteyez, actually the upgrade has been going on here for a month or more. My point was that some of these odd, old-stock lights are still probably available for a pittance in stores throughout the country.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
And how much does that come to after you pay for shipping and any applicable sales tax?

Actually Fry's has several of these lights in bulk (no packaging) that they're selling for 49¢ The Garrity G-Tech has great spill and a decent spot when used with 6AAs and a Mag 6 cell Xenon bulb.

pilou said:
So you think 84 cents is a good deal for a AA light? How about 49 cents for a [font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Garrity V500XDX12N 2D Value Flashlight at outpost.com? :naughty:
[/font]

DaveG

Enlightened
Picked up a Energizerquick switch,the one that can use D,C,OR AA cells for .75 cents.Only one left at that price had to get it.

pilou

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
And how much does that come to after you pay for shipping and any applicable sales tax?

Of course, you would have to pick it up at Fry's.

The Garrity G-Tech has great spill and a decent spot when used with 6AAs and a Mag 6 cell Xenon bulb.

So how do these Garritys perform stock? Are they actually useable?

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fry's stores are plentiful in this area. The Fry's grocery chain was originally started in this area, and it's where the Fry brothers started the electronics chain.

How are the Garrity's stock. Like a cheap 2D light with a Krypton bulb. The beam and spill doesn't change though, it still uses the same reflector.

pilou said:
Of course, you would have to pick it up at Fry's.

So how do these Garritys perform stock? Are they actually useable?

Bror Jace

Enlightened
Brighteyez, I bet you're right. No doubt the pickins' were better 3-4 weeks ago. But there are still some bargains left out there, I'm pretty sure.

I hit up one of the last Walmarts in the area after work today. Saw an old-looking Brinkman 2AA LED mixed in with the current 3AAA model. Hmmm ...

Unfortunately, it scanned at the same price ($9.56). :(

Hey, you don't know 'til you try! ;)

Marlite

Enlightened
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Somebody said I said the Rayovac 84 cent 2AAs are good. LIAR! LOL!

Actually it was the United Outdoor 84 cent 2AAs that were good. Can't find 'em anymore.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Playboy

I knew we would get a response as you very clearly said:

"Oh YEAH! Another KILLER host (must reverse the batteries!)....
Rayovac Swivel Head 2D. It has a humdinger of a faceted reflector!"

Playboy, Sorry for that but it got you an extra credit as we don't find them here. I just wanted another of your humorous quotes.
hahaha.gif

Ken 222, note I erred in the model quoted.

Got one for sale?

Marlite

Last edited: