Walmart trip... two SUPRISES!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
One thing of note about the Metal Gear, and I might as well say it here.

The beam on mine is very white. It. the 3D 1W and my Milkbone have the whitest 1 watters I know of.

But the beam is rather a bunch of circles outside the main blob. I cured that to a large degree with some Writeright for the Palm Zire. It gives me a nice smooth blob, with faint circles and such. I like it better!

Now if someone could do runtimes. Use all three battery types please! I don't have equipment other than a simple Multimeter and Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeballs (and a fairly short attention span!)

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw the Metal Gear tonight. Nice looking light. How is the clip?? Just wondering.
I think it will make a nice present.

41-4281metal%20gear.jpg

Blades

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Where were the Nite-Ize modules? I've checked two stores and didn't see them in the flashlight section. Either they're in a weird spot or my town hasn't gotten them yet.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Wal-mart?

I know you live on the south side of Houston too! I live in Pearland.

BuddTX

attowatt

Enlightened
Thanks Newbie... that seems really cheap.. i new walmart had good prices, but that seems really great. Think I too will take advantage of that price $18. Not bad IF it has a circuit board inside similar to other dorcy's.

lumenjunkie: I picked that up on internet/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif its funny everytime I see it too.

Jim

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found the Nite-Eyes module with the flashlights in the sports/camping section.
The Metal Gear at my Wal-Mart was $19.74 or something like that. Under $20.00.

Blades

piper

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering, with the Nite-Ize module and reflector installed does the light still focus?

Piper

attowatt

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
Now if someone could do runtimes. Use all three battery types please! I don't have equipment other than a simple Multimeter and Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeballs (and a fairly short attention span!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Dorcy metal gear light:

Using my Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeballs, I have to say this light is still emitting usable light(similar to my Q3 on low-10 ohms AFTER 7 hours. I turned light on at 3:30pm and it is now 10:48pm and still going on energizer batts that came with light.

I thought about modding using a dorcy aaa circuit board and lux 3 SWOJ(frm Q3), but at this point will probably leave as is for vehicle light; unless some one thinks efficiency might be better with mods.

Although i know very little about reflectors, I like the reflector on this light

Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
attowatt said:
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Dorcy metal gear light:

Using my Mark 1 Mod 1 eyeballs, I have to say this light is still emitting usable light(similar to my Q3 on low-10 ohms AFTER 7 hours. I turned light on at 3:30pm and it is now 10:48pm and still going on energizer batts that came with light.

I thought about modding using a dorcy aaa circuit board and lux 3 SWOJ(frm Q3), but at this point will probably leave as is for vehicle light; unless some one thinks efficiency might be better with mods.

Although i know very little about reflectors, I like the reflector on this light

Jim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you guys buy cheap lights?

I picked up the Metal Gear 3AAA and it out throws all my mini-mag low dome sammies significantly. Pretty darn nice beam. Great hotspot. Decent sidespill with ringed articacts.

Do you guys think there is any regulation in it?

I also picked up that Brinkman 3AAA 1W Luxeon head lamp for $18.83. A few artifacts but throws like the MG 3AAA. I don't really like batteries on my forehead but for the money I think I can find uses for it.

I can't believe I like these cheap lights.

-----------------

- Jeff

kubolaw

Enlightened
Wow, that Nite Ize price is nice! Never noticed them at my local Wally World (or the Megal Gears either). Darn it PBJS, you are forcing me to take a trip over there today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for passing on the info!

John

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I'm very sad to report that I have not seen the Nite Ize, Metal Gear or Super 1 watt in two other Walmarts I've been in since.

In the one I visited today in Woodville, I did see a new to me Eveready (I think - I didn't buy) 4AA 1 Nichia light for<$8. I left it there mostly because it uses a focusing lense, and I haven't seen one of those YET that I like.

I also saw a Garrity 3AAA 3LED light, that appears built like a tank, but also has focusing spots in front of each LED.

I did get some 850ma AAA Energizers to try out in my Metal Gear.

Hope y'all have better luck!

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:

I also picked up that Brinkman 3AAA 1W Luxeon head lamp for $18.83. A few artifacts but throws like the MG 3AAA. I don't really like batteries on my forehead but for the money I think I can find uses for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I picked up one of these, too. I checked several to make sure that I bought one with the best centered LED, since some of them were quite skewed. I also got a bright, very neutral white Luxeon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My one complaint is that the switch on mine is a bit flaky, resulting in flickering output from time to time. I disassembled the head and checked the connections. The circuit consists of several soldered connections including a switch and resistor. Everything else looks solid, so I'm assuming that the switch is the problem here. I don't know how common this defect will be among all of the units.

By the way, the headlamp uses a Luxeon Star that is attached to a thick aluminum plate that should do an adequate job of dissipating the modest heat load from this setup.

Since the Luxeon and reflector are very good, I won't be taking the headlamp back. I plan to either use this Luxeon to replace the quite purplish one in my EOS headlamp, or else find a way to use the EOS driver and switch inside the Brinkmann housing.