War movies

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed Viet Nam by about 20 numbers in the lottery but several of my close friends were drafted, so I've always had a keen interest in it.

One movie that's seldom mentioned is; Hamburger Hill.
It's a very realistic depiction of the battle for Hill 937 in the A Shau Valley, one of the bloodiest engagements of the war. Kinda like Platoon but on a bigger scale without the BS.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I missed Viet Nam by about 20 numbers in the lottery but several of my close friends were drafted, so I've always had a keen interest in it.

One movie that's seldom mentioned is; Hamburger Hill.
It's a very realistic depiction of the battle for Hill 937 in the A Shau Valley, one of the bloodiest engagements of the war. Kinda like Platoon but on a bigger scale without the BS.

I missed Nam by 60-80 numbers. I thank God I did, I don't think I would like the way it might have changed me.

I REALLY didn't like Dunkirk! I know that I am in the minority, most people who I know, who saw it, really liked it.

Personally, I got lost watching the film, time warping back and forth, left me a bit confused, and too many of the characters/actors, looked too much the same, that I didn't always know who's story line I was following. I got anxious, during each of the near drowning scenes, but that is not enough to dislike a film. IMO it was terribly historically inaccurate.

There over 300 thousand on the beach looking to get evacuated, but in the film it appeared that there were only a hundred or so extras. They could have used cgi to create thousands.
There were what? 2, 3 navy ships? IIRC there were 39 large navy ships at the rescue including some destroyers, and 850 or so "little ships" private sea craft greater than 30 feet in length with relatively shallow draft.

There was no mention of the rear guard fighting of the French, who bought time for the allies to get off of the beach. The rear guard fighting has historically been compared to the Spartans at Thermopylae, yet there was no mention.

I really doubt that the men would have stood single file on the beach, for hours, and not dive for cover, or shoulder their rifles and take aim at the strifing german planes that were strifing the men on the beach.

Just terrible.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I REALLY didn't like Dunkirk! I know that I am in the minority, most people who I know, who saw it, really liked it.

It was okay. Beautifully filmed but I was expecting it to be on a larger scale, showing the magnitude of the evacuation and the miraculous failure of the Germans to overwhelm the trapped British army. I found it interesting but a lost opportunity to tell a bigger story.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

Personally, I got lost watching the film, time warping back and forth, left me a bit confused, and too many of the characters/actors, looked too much the same, that I didn't always know who's story line I was following. I got anxious, during each of the near drowning scenes, but that is not enough to dislike a film. IMO it was terribly historically inaccurate.

There over 300 thousand on the beach looking to get evacuated, but in the film it appeared that there were only a hundred or so extras. They could have used cgi to create thousands.
There were what? 2, 3 navy ships? IIRC there were 39 large navy ships at the rescue including some destroyers, and 850 or so "little ships" private sea craft greater than 30 feet in length with relatively shallow draft.

There was no mention of the rear guard fighting of the French, who bought time for the allies to get off of the beach. The rear guard fighting has historically been compared to the Spartans at Thermopylae, yet there was no mention.

I really doubt that the men would have stood single file on the beach, for hours, and not dive for cover, or shoulder their rifles and take aim at the strifing german planes that were strifing the men on the beach.

Just terrible.
I agree with you I tried to like Dunkirk but the constant bouncing back and forth was done rather lousily and the moment you got "into" a story you were popped into another one that just felt disjointed. The individual stories that you popped back and forth to were not done well enough on their own either to make a separate movie which made it feel like you were watching 4 or so mediocre movies on 4 channels at once. I was expecting a movie sort of like a large epic and got 4 small movies instead.