Weight: NiHM vs. NiZn

jcw122

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I'm an EDCer, and batteries are one of the things I carry in my backpack. I carry NiHMs for my Quark AA^2. I've realized lately that my batteries (4xAAs) are a pretty fair amount of weight considering how small they are. NiHMs seem to be much heavier than other chemistries like Lithium and Li-Ions.

Does anyone know how NiHM and NiZn AAs compare as far as weight? I'd love to find an alternative for my Quark that is a bit lighter, as NiHM has considerable weight. Thanks!

-JCW

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weight of four Eneloop AA cells: 104 g
Weight of four NiZn AA cells: 98 g
Weight of four Energizer lithium AA cells: 58 g

The weight advantage of the lithium cells in handling is significant, but unfortunately not rechargeable...

jcw122

Enlightened
Weight of four Eneloop AA cells: 104 g
Weight of four NiZn AA cells: 98 g
Weight of four Energizer lithium AA cells: 58 g

The weight advantage of the lithium cells in handling is significant, but unfortunately not rechargeable...

Yeah Li-Ions would be an alternative but unfortunately there are voltage differences that won't play nicely with my light.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
I am surprised that nobody mentioned the serious quality and reliability issues with the PowerGenix NiZn AA cells. No way I would go camping with those, even if they were 10% of the weight of a comparable NiMH cell. Also, PowerGenix has announced that it will no longer be manufacturing these batteries, so no hope of the reliability improving unless another company picks up where they left off.

Cheers,
BG