What changes on HDS EDC U's have you made

markbUK

Newly Enlightened
What changes on HDS EDC U\'s have you made

What settings are you using your EDC U on, If you have changed the factory defaults why did you?,

luxlover

Banned
Re: What changes on HDS EDC U\'s have you made

Mark,

People must have been in hibernation in the last 48 hours since you submitted this post. Only 58 viewers?

Good question, and I will give you a good answer....
I turned OFF the Force Setting Mode, since I want to control the light level when I turn it on, and not be limited to any one level.

I turned ON the Simple Momentary Mode, since I want the ability to press and release a light level without having it latch to ON.

I turned ON the Automatic Switch Lock Mode, since I had my light turn ON in a pocket even while in it's pouch. I have no idea how this could happen, when the pouch covers the end button of the light!

I set the four levels to.....
2 (42L) = maximum
6 (10L) = primary
10 (2L) = secondary
16 (0.3L) = minimum
Notice that my U60 does not have 60 lumens as it's maximum brightness level? It eats too much battery juice.

How has your U60 been treating you?

Jeff

<font color="blue">In the 4th paragraph above, I referred to an Options Menu item which does not exist. I meant to write "Automatic Button Lock Mode", and not "Automatic Switch Lock Mode." Sorry for the confusion, even though I could not have misguided anybody with a feature that doesn't exist!</font>

NetMage

Enlightened

Sounds like it needs a more flexible (!) Force Setting Mode.

Like my PDA, revert to Force Setting if off for more than x time period (30 minutes?).

NetMage

Enlightened

So far I have Force Setting to secondary, simple momentary, minimum at maybe 18, maximum at 60, others prob. default.

I am trying to set mine up for a kind of "theater" mode, versus a "woods/tactical" mode. I think the ideal Basic model would switch between the two, where theater mode has as a principle never get brighter than requested, and tactical mode has fast access to max brightness.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have a Basic, but if I had an Ultimate I would have it set to always come on at level 1. I prefer bright, and with my Basic I'm always doing "click, pause, click, click, pressssss". When Henry comes out with the 110 lumen EDC next month (just kidding - but its a fun rumor to start!), I'll get an Ultimate flavor.

best regards
me

NetMage

Enlightened

I was waiting on a U85 but decided I would rather have more light using the AW lens now.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
NetMage said:
I was waiting on a U85

[/ QUOTE ]
Even this one was not more than a rumor somebody brought into the forums only claiming 'a dealer said' without any sources .-)

Bob_Ulhedd

Newly Enlightened

<ul type="square"> [*]Force Setting option is disabled. This allows me to quickly change the brightness setting to which the light will turn on. I simply adjust to my preferred brightness setting and click light off. [*]Automatic Button Lock Mode to prevent light from accidentally turning on. [/list]

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still playing with mine to see what I like.
I did add the diffusion gel under the lens to spread the light out a bit. I also added the Mag AA rubber lens holder thingy. It gives the front of the light nice protection and stops it from rolling. It works very nicely.
Yaesumofo

segan

Newly Enlightened

This is what my U60 is configured to do right now.

- Run on 4.2V R123
- Force setting option OFF. Same reasons as luxlover
- Simple momentary ON.

Brightness config
Maximum = level 1 (60L)
Primary = level 4 (20L) I like it a bit brighter than standard.
Secondary = level 10 (2L)
Minimum = level 19 (0.12L) This setting preserves my night vision if i have to use it when i wake up in the middle of the night.

I normally end up using primary 80% of the time with the occasional blast to max. Also tried out the hex shaped Mag AA rubber lens holder last night, works ok but its a pretty tight fit.

What i'm hanging out for is a solution to attach a lanyard securely to the light!! anyone?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
segan said:

What i'm hanging out for is a solution to attach a lanyard securely to the light!! anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

EDCCROP.jpg

Is what I have done to attach a lanyard. I can also bite the light as well.
Yaesumofo

luxlover

Banned

Since this thread concerns EDC Ultimate series customization, I decided to post in this thread the same "levels vs lumens" tables I posted in the main "HDS-Part V" thread. Since this thread is still growing, it will be easier to find my tables and refer to them when configuring the brightness levels of our lights.

<font color="blue">Note: The top table applies to the Ultimate 60, and the bottom table applies to the Ultimate 42.</font>
ultimate60leveltable.jpg

ultimate42leveltable.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic

After seeing how easy this light is to lose, I turned on the night beacon flash.

Also:
force primary off

Sometimes I set max to 42 lumens to save battery life a little.

luxlover

Banned

yaesumofo,
Would you describe the material of the cord you are using, to which you have attached your locking clip? It looks like stretchable plastic. Will the wear and tear of the clip against the cord weaken it? How about the effect of the rubbing clip on the HAIII surface?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

What it is is a bunch of nitrile O-Rings stacked up. the Lanyard is para-cord. There is no sign of any rubbing. I have tugged at the lanyard with a whole bunch of pulling with no evidence of breaking. To be sure there are better solutions out there I just haven't found one yet. I tried the clip and this same lanyard connected to it and I did not like the balance. One think I need with the HDS is a place to bite the thing. On this light the way I use it I have to be able to bite the light. I will not bite bare (or anodized metal).
one could easily use 2 rings connected at 2 points within the group of O-Rings. This would cut in half the probability of lanyard connection failure.

There are 2 issues with the light he way i use it. No good connection point for a lanyard. The fact that the light will not stand on it's tail bothers me a lot. That really isn't much on an otherwise very fine tool grade flashlight. I have to admit that I still have all of my ARC flashlights. I agree there were problems with the arc 4. My arc 4's work flawlessly. Both seconds for some reason. This light was a bit ahead of it's time.
Yaesumofo

[ QUOTE ]
luxlover said:
yaesumofo,
Would you describe the material of the cord you are using, to which you have attached your locking clip? It looks like stretchable plastic. Will the wear and tear of the clip against the cord weaken it? How about the effect of the rubbing clip on the HAIII surface?

[/ QUOTE ]

alanz

Newly Enlightened

I just got my EDC Ultimate 60 today.
The very first thing I did was move the clip from my Arc 4+ to the new light.
It took a little doing, had to enlarge the holes on the clip every so slightly to line up with the holes in the light.

SolarFlare

Enlightened

force off
primary set to minimum
force back on
momentary on
sorted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
lights up lowest
click press full beam /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Y

yourHDSguy

I turned off the Force Setting and turned on Simple Momentary. I like it to come back on to the light level where I left it. Simple Momentary gives the flexibility to use it briefly or constantly at the simple push of the button. Nice website Alan. BTW where did you get your Ultimate 60?

Jim.

alanz

Newly Enlightened

Jim,

Thanks for the kind words about my little web site.

I got my EDC 60 from a dealer I found here on CPF.

I guess you didn't recognize my name from the order... I got it from YOU <vbg>

Thanks for shipping so quickly.