What devices do you use rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion batteries on?

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
You may have a multitude of devices that can benefit from the higher voltage and medium draw. So what devices do you usually use rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion batteries on? As a flashlight enthusiast, has anyone used the rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion batteries in some testing instruments such as, Fluke multimeters, illuminometer...?

Btw, for both charging 1.5V Li-ion and 1.2V NiMH AA/AAA batteries, we released the xtar BC8 charger. If you name this charger, what do you think is proper? :giggle: For example, Pioneer BC8? Thanks for your kind comments!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
As stated previously, we use the AA sized 1.5V rechargeable batteries in our son's X-Box controller. Although we are really not going to test duration because it depends on the type of play that the controller is doing (some games make the controller 'rumble' more than others) it is pretty clear we get longer function with the Li-ion.

LITHNIC8 or Lithnic8 could be a name for the BC8 charger.

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Thanks for your kind comments! We want to the charger name more easier on the tongue and easier to remember for the users. Do you have any good ideas? ;-)

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your kind comments! We want to the charger name more easier on the tongue and easier to remember for the users. Do you have any good ideas? ;-)
Unfortunately not, but I'll think about it. I'm an EET, and would fail miserably in Marketing; however my Grandfather was a good attorney (which I also am not), so that might be why I wondered about the trademark thing (and guess I still do). I was just curious, because I'm sure you have access to people who do 'trademark searches' and checking etc., so thought you might know. Thanks for the response though!

Incidentally, I'm considering trying some of those cells. My only real concern has been possible conducted &/or radiated noise / EMI / RFI. I don't know if it exists, or if so, at what levels.

EDIT: It occurs to me that your mention of 'Pioneer' may have in no way been intended to suggest it was a name under actual consideration for a new product, but rather as a good example of the type of name you might be seeking. If so, I commend your choice of that example, as it is a great example of all aspects of a truly great global trade name! You might get some ideas, as there are some around here who are far more creative than I'll ever be - however I'll let you know if I come up with any ideas!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think the name pioneer evokes a sense of trying something new. First through the wall kinda thing. For a battery charger that might not be such a good idea unless there is someting that makes it a game changer.
Something that sounds like best of the best like "the XTAR BC8 platinum" or "XTAR energy BC8". Maybe name the products after animals. The XTAR BC8 falcon" or XTAR eagle".
But really just XTAR BC8 is fine in my view.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the name pioneer evokes a sense of trying something new. First through the wall kinda thing. For a battery charger that might not be such a good idea unless there is someting that makes it a game changer.
Something that sounds like best of the best like "the XTAR BC8 platinum" or "XTAR energy BC8". Maybe name the products after animals. The XTAR BC8 falcon" or XTAR eagle".
But really just XTAR BC8 is fine in my view.
Good points. Some of the aspects i referred to that make Pioneer such a great global trade name are also that it is or appears to be a 'proper' word (for many), rather than being a previously undefined, fabricated (obscure) one. It also seems to be 'pronounceable' by many people globally, who often know something of what it means, and often for those of differing primary languages. Being a both an existing, defined word and widely pronounceable (at least to some degree), makes it memorable for many people. Being pronounceable, and at least perceived to have a meaning outside the small circle of people who came up with it is are pluses. Memorable is a primary objective for a trade name. If someone asks 'what kind of xyz is that you have?', it's good if I can both remember it and somewhat know how to pronounce it. 'Word of mouth' advertising depends on such things. A word that previously meant nothing, (while being easy to trademark), &/or is difficult to figure out how to pronounce outside of the few who have experience with it (especially if it's sort of highly language dependent), can make it a poor choice. The Japanese have a great track record when it comes to good global trade names, although they do at times come up with some very silly sounding ones (particularly if it's primarily a JDM thing), even though they may play well in their home market. They're particularly good at coming up trade names which play well globally, which is critical when dealing with something targeting global markets. The poorest global trade names are those which have no previous meaning, and /or are also very colloquial in nature.

I know nothing about Marketing, but I can say that there are many tradenames which I don't have a prayer of pronouncing, and are obscure / have no imaginable meaning for me. Those are the ones I don't have a chance of remembering, and I do know enough to know that makes for a bad trade name.

I should also point out that the criteria is somewhat different for a brand name, vs a specific product name / designation. Although I have no 'background' in this, I have given it some thought, because I find it interesting; in addition to the fact that I'm a big believer in: 'Words matter', in general.

The ones you mention sound like good ideas to me too Byk, for a specific product.

The biggest issue is that the better the name, the more difficult is will be to trademark it. The world seems to be running out of really good names for stuff!

turbodog

Flashaholic
You may have a multitude of devices that can benefit from the higher voltage and medium draw. So what devices do you usually use rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion batteries on? As a flashlight enthusiast, has anyone used the rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion batteries in some testing instruments such as, Fluke multimeters, illuminometer...?

Btw, for both charging 1.5V Li-ion and 1.2V NiMH AA/AAA batteries, we released the xtar BC8 charger. If you name this charger, what do you think is proper? :giggle: For example, Pioneer BC8? Thanks for your kind comments!

I don't plan on using li-ion 1.5 cells. They look great on paper, but the slight voltage decline of primary & nimh gives some feedback on state of charge. From my understanding, the li-ion goes from 1.5v to 0/low voltage shutdown without warning.

If I were to use them? Probably high drain devices at home, where a cell shutdown would not be a problem.

As far as your fluke example. Due to cells lasting years, I only run primary cells there, usually a 9v.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my understanding, the li-ion goes from 1.5v to 0/low voltage shutdown without warning.

Which is why I never considered using any similar cells previously (along with my concern with possible noise), but also why I intend to try the Xtar version specifically instead of all the others. It's my understanding that they use a low-voltage detection function (operating on the primary Li-ion source), and respond by dropping the secondary (1.5V) output to 1.0V as an indicator (in advance of shutdown) to the human user &/or powered equipment which can do low-voltage detection. It's my understanding that none of the similar offerings on the market currently address this problem(?), which is why I won't bother trying them. I couldn't live with the 'sudden death' thing as a routine function / occurrence.

ICBW, but since this is their forum section, I'll let them straighten me out if I am. BTW, there's a thread in this section from last year which introduced this new function. That's when I decided to try them, but simply haven't done so yet. If I got some info / specification(s) regarding potential noise, I'd probably do it immediately. In today's world of products and applications, with both processors / other logic, and RF being ubiquitous, noise can be an issue. Noise is pretty easy to measure, as you likely know. 'Tick-tock'. Per my recent post in this thread:

Incidentally, I'm considering trying some of those cells. My only real concern has been possible conducted &/or radiated noise / EMI / RFI. I don't know if it exists, or if so, at what levels.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use them on devices/controllers that do not act kindly to under voltages of NiMh
1.2V per cell, verses the 1.5V output of AA/AAA lithium rechargeable cells.
I use Pale Blue Earth Lion rechargeable AAA/AA cells, and not had any misgivings.
GL