What If You Could Only Keep ONE Led and ONE Incandescent???

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date

Saaby

Flashaholic
Geoff said:
comments/criticisms?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Heck yeah! You list all those situations and all those lights and none of them are an Arc. I mean I can understand your choices but I would think you'd mention at least an AAA in one of those situations...lots of light for lots of time and (Theoretically) in the same space a Elektrolumens 3AAA LS mod'd Brinkmann takes you can store a Arc AAA with 2 extra AAA batteries...

The Newbeam deserves mention here and might suffice for all situations...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

As do (IMHO) the Arc line of lights.

Then again maybe it was just because you couldn't stand the thought of having an Arc in storage, unused...(
wink.gif
) in that case...that's ok!

I think the question should be rephrased to something like "But what if you only had THIS much space" because in the space it takes to store an X990 I can store an Arc AAA, Freelight, and lots of extra batteries. Or an Arc LS, Freelight, and extra batteries...but in an emergency I think I'd rather have the AAA purely because of the ammount of light (Think battery life) you could get out of 24AAAs or somehting...

I suppose in the space an X990 takes up I could store a Arc LS (With 1AA and 2AA body), Arc AAA, Freelight, and 24 AAs and 24 AAAs...

So I donno.

Mr. Blue

Enlightened
Well, I kinda did with the arc/finity/LE mod...I guess the premise was no battery changes...or I thought it was. I was shooting for max run time/brightness combo. My Lambda Illuminator has 4+ hours of intermittent use and it is still brighter than the New beam!

...Heck I just ordered an EV and another LE....I love Arc

rlhess

Enlightened
I never only have one light. I have an ARC AAA LE on my keychain...but wait...what's that...there's also an ARC 2nd LS with 1 Lithium 123 pack on the same keychain. That would be OK for many emergencies...but, oh no...what's that lurking under my pocket? An E2e!

<smile>

At home I like the Eveready folding fluorescent lantern. The one nite on the recent 5000 drive I thought we'd lose power, I grabbed my UKE D8 to have in the hotel room.

As someone else said--it depends on the emergency!

Cheers,

Richard

D

**DONOTDELETE**

HAY, no fair! You guys don't get to name the emergencies, this here's MY post (hee hee)!!!

Actually though, going by the diversity of answers here, even the uninitiated can see that we Flashoholics are indeed one (collectively) lucky sonofagun(s). As someone here once (or perhaps many times) posted, so many lights, so little time...

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one?

Eternalight with lithiums. Operates hundreds of hours in its dimmest mode, somewhat bright when you need it to be, small enough to fit in a pocket, and water resistant.

Aloha

InTheDark

Enlightened
Have to agree with Quickbeam, the Teklite would be my choice. I love arcs, but if were a real emergency, I don't want to worry about manufacturing problems or circuit issues. Simpler is better.

rlhess

Enlightened
But geeze 126 Lux at one meter (=126 candelas)...maybe I'm just getting old (who said 2x the light every 12 years?). It seems quite dim. Even the Lambdas and the ARC LSs are 2x that light output. It's a big thing for so little light...but then again, it lasts forever.

One candidate that I forgot (I don't carry it, but it might be the best choice from my lightbox) is the PT Aurora headlamp.

150 hours in dimmest mode. 50-60 candela (if I recall correctly) in brightest mode and two flashing modes for people to find you. Very tiny and lightweight. 3AAA.

Cheers,

Richard

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, okay, everybody's categorizing so I changed the title so's we could all pick TWO lights...

battman

Newly Enlightened
My collection is still in its infant phase, but I have to agree with Quickbeam and InTheDark- Tektite Expedition 300. I'm tempted to "forget" and leave it on just so I can feed it new batts. I'm still on the 1st set after 1 1/2 yrs!

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
How about a flourescent. I would like the Energizer ArcWhite, don't care for the switch but love the CCFL. Changed the mod to a RS zenon and it's not too bad now.
Gadgetman

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Bulk, if you're arm's cut off, forget the flashlight, you need a doctor!
tongue.gif
grin.gif

At 126 Lux the Expedition 300 actually lights a very wide swath very well. In pitch darkness 126 Lux is stunningly bright, especially as your eyes adapt to the dark.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the Nightstar Shakelight - Yes it dims quickly, but as it dims you're eyes are adapting to the dark so it really doesn't appear to dim nearly as much as you would think. Watertight, never needs batteries or bulbs, and practically indestructable. One of the best true "emergency" lights made (IMHO).

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/nightstar.htm

OK, so now we can choose 2 lights. For an incandescent I would choose the Princeton Tec Tec40. Small, tough, lightweight, 3-5 hours runtime on 4 inexpensive AA's with almost, but not quite, the same output as a E2, and just like the Exp. 300: extremely waterproof.

http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/princetontec_tec40.htm

Saaby

Flashaholic
Keepin it super short here...ultra slow connection but Mr Bulk, nice new sig!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I like my Princeton Tec Impact. One very bright LED with 100+ hours run time and waterproof and breakproof compartment. Not to mention pretty small.Everything you need

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Originally posted by Saaby:
Keepin it super short here...ultra slow connection but Mr Bulk, nice new sig!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Saaby, I was inspired by your own Saab one...hey, I thought you had broadband?

Saaby

Flashaholic
Oh really? I was inspired by Darells...anyhew. I do have broadband but I am on vacation at my grandmas house. I have my Arc though
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
That's an easy decision. I'd pick my EternaLight Elite Xray for LED light. Small, *very* tough, waterproof, and with the dimmable controls, it could easily last for weeks, on one set of lithium AA's.

For incandescent, I'd pick my UK 2L. Bright, very small and light, waterproof, nearly indestructible, with about 3 hour burn time. Until the LOLA for the E2 is available (I've been waiting for over ia year, now. My order is in the system, but while people who ordered in July have theirs, I'm still waiting. Grrr...) the UK 2L
stands alone for size and a decent burntime.

Of course if size and weight aren't an issue, I might go with a 3D Maglite. Old technology, but very well made, and tough old technology. With a halogen lamp, the 3D Maglite gives a lot of light, with very good throw.

Latest posts