What light do you keep in your car?

HIDblue

Enlightened
As a noob to CPF, I was wondering what kind of light (and battery setup) everyone carried in their vehicle?

I keep a Surefire 6P w/LED drop-in in the glove compartment with Lithium 123's.

The light in my car doesn't get used all that often...i.e. it's usually for emergencies only, so what type of battery (rechargeable or 1-time use) is better for long-term storage in a vehicle? :shrug:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I'd imagine something with Lithium primaries would be best for storage in a vehicle, particularly if it's not used very often.

Lithium does well if the vehicle gets down to low temperatures overnight, and lasts a long time without being used.

That said, I have a 3 D cell Rebel LED Maglite in my glove box, primarily for it's size and sturdiness....

I needed it just last week as it happens, but during the day for dissuading a knife wielding nutter.

shark_za

Enlightened
Your choice is as good as they get.

Lithium primary cells (use once) are your best bet for long term storage for their low self discharge properties. They also handle temperature extremes quite well.

I have a cheapy in each of my cars, I cannot bring myself to leave one of my Surefires unused. I like them close by where I can play with and fondle them ;)
In both cars you will find a Romisen RC-N3 single mode with Energiser Lithium L91's inside.

I always have my EDC torch on me and my wife has her iTP A3 along with a few 5mm LED's on keys and stuff.
The car light is a backup or loaner, a great job for a cheap $18 light.
Should the car or contents be "liberated" I wont cry for the lights either.

PM01

Newly Enlightened
Streamlight Stinger LED modded with SST50. About 300 lumens. Also carry a spare battery stick, just in case.

Dan FO

Enlightened
A Surefire G2 LED in the trunk, Photon II on my keyring, Nitecote NDI in the console and an ITP A3 stainless steel in my pocket. Lithium primaries in everything.

steveG

Enlightened
I keep an Inova T2 in my wife's car and a cheap headlamp in each of my 2 cars. I always have a light on my and a couple in my man bag, so I haven't really felt the need to add more.

But, I likely will if I come across a good deal on something I like.

Art

Enlightened
I have a Nitecore EZ AA with a Energizer Ultimate Lithium inside.

That was the best light I could find for this because the light does not touch the positive end of the cell with the cell inside so I think I can leave it there till 2023 that is the cell expiring date :D

Regards,

HeadCSO

Enlightened
I keep a Fenix LD10 with lithium primaries, along with a red diffuser tip for emergency signalling/warning. Very visible when using strobe.

GMLRS

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD20, 180 lumen 2xAA, for the availability of batteries. A small 2xAAA, headlamp, its been there for many years, needs to be updated, Also need a headband for the LD20.

On a trip 4xC Maglight, and ITP Polestar, 6xAA, 700 Lumens. Various headlamps.

fabienne

Enlightened
4D Maglite incand since it serves two purposes. Primarily is for self-defense, secondly is for lighting. :)) But I keep 4 D batteries as backup in case I really needed the light.

RedSquirrel

Newly Enlightened
One of these:

sku_1284_1.jpg

With one of these:

sku_1318_1.jpg

:laughing:

One of DX's "3w" single 18650 5-mode Cree torch with over-the-top "tactical assault crown". Perfect if someone ever attempts a car-jack. Also I'm hoping the assault crown will have good glass breaking abilities. What do you think, will it be able to break glass easier?

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I got a superfire (ultrafire...however) C1 with one of Nailbenders custom xp-g dropins (2-mode) and a 5-mode genuine MTE P7, both with 2xCR123.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the glove compartment I keep a (single AA) Trustfire F20 five mode with memory which comes on in the high mode ... This used to be my EDC till I bought the amazing iTP A2.

In the car door pocket is a Romisen RC-U4 (18650) ... This is a three mode without memory ... I have to go through the modes and switch it off when it is on the strobe mode ... When I switch it on in anger it then comes on in the high mode ... The only reason that this is in the car is because I don't like it as a carry torch ... I just wish that I could change the LED unit to even a single mode ... It will also take a cassette with three AAA cells , so I might just have to give it away to a relative who won't know any better ... I can then buy a replacement to keep the right number of torches.

My single mode Solarforce L2i which is slightly modified to take a 18650 would be much better than the RC-U4.

Normally I prefer the EDC torch to come on at the lowest mode , hence the choice of the iTP A2 ... For use in the car , I prefer the torch to come on at its highest level.

The other night , I was sitting in the car in a fairly badly lit street when a drunk came up and proceeded to look into the drivers side window ... I shone the Trustfire F20 (on high) straight through the window into his eyes from a distance of just a few inches ... He spun round with his hands over his eyes and staggered away from the car ... In retrospect , I should have used the Romisen which has at least twice the output but the little F20 certainly did the job.

So , as far as I am concerned you need two torches in the car of at least 80 lumens and preferably 200 lumens ... If they are mutimode with memory then leave them on high , or make one a single mode.

Nothing wrong with using a 18650 as I will be topping up the battery probably twice a year ... It is only the hot weather that I would worry about ... Not exactly certain how a 18650 would be affected by the hot (?) British weather ... My Trustfire F20 uses a single AA Eneloop so again it will be topped up a couple of times a year ... Personal preferences really as I don't like using primary cells.

Of course I always carry my iTP A2 as EDC , so there really would be three torches in the car ... Four if my Wife has remembered to bring hers ... I guess it is just the three then.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Besides my Preon I Ti EDC my cars carry the following:

Car 1:
- Maglite 3D w/P7 Malkoff dropin and FiveMega 9AA to 3D adapter:8xAA L91
- (2)Mini Maglite LED multimode:4xAA L91 one in glove box, one in trunk
- Eagletac T100C2 MK II:1x18650 Ultrafire Protected 2600mAh
- River Rock Headlamp:2xCR123
- Black Diamond Orbit Lantern:4xAAA L92
Spares - 16xAA L91, 4xAAA L92, 6xCR123, 1x18650 UF Protected 2600mAh

Car 2:
- Mini Maglite LED multimode:2xAA L91
- Surefire G2L w/Malkoff M60LL:2xCR123
- River Rock Headlamp:2xCR123
Spares - 4xAA L91, 4xAAA L92, 4xCR123

[edit]
In my opinion Car 2 has a near perfect set up and would meet most peoples needs. There's a small chance that the amount of lights in Car 1 is overkill.

Last edited:

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
SF G2L-Y in a surefire holster with a set of spares are in the glovebox. Shouldn't really need much more than that. Thinking of getting one of the Malkoff M60LL drop-ins for it. 8 hours runtime is pretty tempting.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
not just one.. too many actually.

those that i know of for certain that they are in the car and where in the car they are:

1. Solarforce L2m (cr123 and 5 mode dropin)
2. DX nitecore ezaa fake (lithium AA single mode)
3. DX led lenser p5 clone (eneloop AA single mode)
4. UK 4AA plastic incan (four AA alkalines.. do intend to swap lithiums)
5. Ultrafire a1 (or something like that) cr123 and 5 mode.
6. 4-8 fauxtons scattered around the car.
7. cheap manymillioncandelas 12v spotlight (plug in or battery)
8. alpkit gamma headlamp (3aaa and red green blue +white leds)

hmm is that all.. i think it is..12-16 lights in my car alone.

plus: solarforce l2 18650 body so i have essentially L2 and/or L2m.
plus: two cr123 batteries.
plus: one lithium AA (was two but used one)
plus: 4 AAA alkalines.
plus: two 18650 unprotected cheap batteries.

and this is on top of my normal 3-4 edc flashlights. hi, im nonsence and i have a problem.. im a flashaholic.