What to do with my M2?

aaronu

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm sorta new... I've been a forum lurker for many years and had a bunch of posts back before the great CPF cataclysm. Well, now I have an account again. :thumbsup:

Back in the day, a 65 lumen light was blindingly bright and 120 lumens for 20 minutes was a modern miracle. So I bought an M2 in HA as part of my home security kit. Since then I upgraded to a SureFire clicky tailcap and P60L that supposedly gives 80 lumens. Now my AAA pocket light does 80 lumens and 200+ lumens is no big deal.

I'd like to update the light if possible. I don't mind feeding it CR123A's, but I wouldn't mind making it brighter and possibly add a defensive bezel ring if that is feasible. The existing bezel is the older, ribbed style shock isolating bezel, which I've been told will not dissipate heat as well as a solid bezel as on a C2. I've read the current "C2 upgrade" thread with interest but I'm not sure that the suggestions there apply to an M2.

I don't have tons of cash to spend but would rather buy for quality and reliability over raw output. I'd appreciate any suggestions for upgrade options for this light.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Aaron
M2 + P60L
A2 green
ReVO SS

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
As far as I know, the m 2 and c 2 are identical lights in construction ( other than the difference in body shapes). All the c 2 upgrades are just as applicable to the m 2.

IMO, a high quality drop in like the Malkoff m61 is the best single upgrade. Very nice quality and highly reliable for about 65 dollars at battery junction and other online sellers.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a Malkoff M61 drop-in and be done with it. If you want to, you may change the bezel to the C2 ones as the shock-isolation bezel on the M2 does prevent more side spill on the beam to form, thus making it less floody. The shock-isolation bezel was made for incandescent lights to prevent inertia energy caused by the recoil of firearms from damaging the bulb filament, something not necessary at all with LED today. If you choose to stick to the M2's bezel, do remember to purchase the optional rubber ring to be placed within the head before dropping in the Malkoff drop-in.

purelite

Enlightened
Thats what I have in my M2 head. M61. I have the rubber ring which takes up the travel of the foam ring but to avoid using that and hopefully gain more heat transfer I have cut and shaped two strips of copper .5ml thick to replace the foam. Now I dont need the rubber ring,it looks cool and hopefully a little more heat is moved. But with the M61 you and that brass cup you wont have any problems in an M2 head anyway. i also wrapped the M61 module in copper tape for a snug fit in the c2 body and I am getting great heat transfer I think as good as the standard c2 head . You do lose a bit of spill but what makes the old ribbed m2 even more awesome now is the new SS bezel rings at Oveready specifically for the M2 series head. They have a toothed ones also in silver and black. i went flat myself. It looks awesome . the M2 is a tank of a host and with the m61 the light is almost bombproof. Oh yeah, get a UCL window at Oveready too. 10% increase in output woohoo!!