What was the first (and last) flashlight that made you go "whoa . . ."

Rexlion

Enlightened
Re: What was the first (and last) flashlight that made you go "whoa . . ."

The first: MG PLI, a floody 500 lumen "wall of light." Or so we all thought of it back then.
The most recent: BLF Q8, with ten times the output of the PLI.

I still have the PLI, and it gets some backyard duty on occasion. My wife actually uses the MG X-Thrower regularly when she goes out to lock up the chickens.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag1185 was the first for me. The last was a 4,000 lumen XHP70 in a 2x 18350 host I built myself.

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last light that made me go whoa...
Nebo Mycro keychain light. I'm really liking the size/format. Easy to carry, has not accidentally turned on. In actual use I do not see PWM.

I like the UI. 2 button. Momentary or on. Green led is bright enough to walk around in the dark. Red is super low. For a backup or keychain light it fits the bill nicely.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

First = Surefire 9N

Interim = Surefire Beast II

Latest = Acebeam X65

Monocrom

Flashaholic

First one: SureFire C2 (black)

Last one, at least for now: ThruNite Catapult V6 LED.
Just an insane amount of throw from such a small light.

EpicDrop

Newly Enlightened
For me it was the Olight s1. I hated the pocket clip, but goodness gracious was that a bright light for it's size! Good thing that the clip was removable!

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast

First was probably a MagLite MiniMag back in the early eighties when I was finally able to purchase one with my own money. Spot to flood in one flashlight? Whoa!!

Last was my Acebeam K70 I got from @selfbuilt. The best thrower I own and made me giggle like a second grader caught with his hand in the cookie jar, the first time I lit it up outside.

Well, the last has now changed since I got an Emisar D4V2 last week. Holy cow!!! Burned right through a piece of paper in about 3 seconds (never had a light capable of that) and I giggled like a little kid all over again.

Signalcorpsoperator

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, first one would be the one of the best of the "old-class" Surefire lights, a C2 Centurion with aftermarket LED drop-in. :bow:

Latest is the Intellibeam Dual-fuel 18650 that Surefire premiered at SHOT this year, 1500 lumens, definitely on my "to-buy" list! :twothumbs

Tom

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast

First? Easy. My black Maglite 3D with Magnum Star bulb and UCL glass lens.

Last? Well, if we use the term LATEST it would be the Lumintop FW3A. Helluva lot of light out of such a small package.

desertrunner

Banned

First- 1990- Streamlight 20xl really made we Whoa.

Today- Its the Fenix PD36R- impressive.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

1) 1982, my L.A. Screw Smoke-Cutter.

2) 1985, my StreamLight SL-20.

Last were last week.

1) StreamLight HL 5-X USB

2) Surefire EDCL2-T

I've come to realize that over the last 40 years I've spent far too much money on flashlights!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

The first flashlight to make me go "Whoa..." was Summer, 2014, True Value Rayz 1,000 Lumen zoom, 9 x AA included. $19.00 special sale price. It looks like it can still be had for $42.00.

My first real performance light was Four-Sevens MMU-X3. Oct. 2014, 1,600 lumens. This permanently classic item will be forever beloved by me.

The last to make me go "Whoa..." was Imalent R90TS. July 16, 2019. 36,000 lumens. 18x XHP35, 8x 21700 Samsung 40T, two fans. Beam profile similar to X65, but with a little more throw and some more beam width, and some more spill, with more lumens on the target at given range, but in the form of a larger hotspot.

Sig lite lists some of my other 18 real performance lights, All 20 here: My lights.

340pd

Newly Enlightened

Surefire 6p