What's better than Led Lenser X21

davlee

Newly Enlightened
OK, so I am changing my mind about needing primary batteries. I decided that number one priority is lighting power.

Thank for all the recommendations. I am having a great time investigating them.

Out of interest have a look at a comparison between the X21 & Fenix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3UJi1Ds0Ds&feature=related
After viewing this comparison, the X21 is still being considered. If it was regulated, I would have no hesitation.

saeckereier

Newly Enlightened
PWM(=pulse width modulation) just means, that instead of having the light on all the time, you switch it off for fractions of the time. For example you divide a second into two time slots (so two slots per second) and switch the light on only for the first half of every slot. So in a second the light goes 0,25s on - 0,25s off - 0,25s on - 0,25s off. (in total 50% on)

To your eye this would be just a blinking light, that is on two times per second (e.g. 2 Hz which is the SI unit for frequency, meaning 2 times per second). Now if you divide a second into four slots, you would get faster blinking. The more slots you divide a second into, the blinking becomes flickering until it goes on and off so many times a second, that you can't see the individual flashes anymore. Still the light is only on half of the time. Instead your eye perceives the light less bright than it is in every flash. Interestingly 50% switched on time seems brighter than 50% brightness to our eyes.

Now we only modified the number of slots per seconds so far (this is called the PWM frequency btw. with a steady light 100Hz is enough to not see flickering. However if you move the light, 100 Hz will be very visible to you. Most torches use something in the kHz area, so several 1000 Hz). There is something else we can vary. And that is, how long the light is switched on in every slot. So we can have the light on only 5% of a slot which will result in 5% switched on time in total thus making the light dimmer. The maximum obviously is having the light on 100% in every slot which also mean we run on full birghtness.

The light is not regulated, because PWM only means switching the light on and off very fast. How bright it is, when switched on depends on the power supply. There might just be a resistor, but there might also be a current controlled regulation behind it. PWM is only a very fast acting switch.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
The far better option to the X21 = the Olight SR90 or SR91... lightyears ahead :nana:

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to your need for standard, readily available batteries; +1 for the Fenix TK41. It has 800 lumens, runs on AA's, and if I know Fenix lights, it will have a very nicely balanced beam with good throw as well as some useful flood. Also, that's 800 ANSI lumens, so not exaggerated like some manufacturers. Also good aircraft grade aluminium, with hard anodizing, and it's waterproof (IPX-8).

EDIT: PS, I was a big advocate of Led Lenser torches, and I still have a P14; but when I discovered Fenix and 4-Sevens... Well, I won't be going back to Led Lensers. They're just not as good, as well built, or as cutting edge; IMHO.

Last edited:

davlee

Newly Enlightened
I am now thinking of getting the Olight SR91. I have never used the 18650 rechargeables before. Difficult question - about how many years would the average life be of this battery pack?

Latango

Newly Enlightened
If you go with the SR91, I'd budget for a small EDC sorta light as well. Even on low mode that thing is bright as hell, and lighting the way back to camp / out to where you want to go will be pretty dazzling. A $40 fenix head lamp or something similar, maybe a fenix LD20 (bout $55 ish landed here in Australia from ebay). Will preserve the battery power (and thus less recharges and thus longer "years" of use) plus give you longer staying power in the outback. Always good to have a backup light anyway :). The life of the battery pack would be so dependant on your usage that it'd be hard to judge.

Oh and as an X21 owner, it's great except the light output is totally dependant on how new the batteries are, the head feels a little bit crappy when you focus in and out, and the inability to use NiMH batteries means you will be binning lots of D cell alkalines...

Last edited:

davlee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all for your help, which changed my mind completely. I have just purchased an Olight SR91. It is still daylight so I haven't used it yet!

When they become available, I will also purchase a Fenix TK41

Thanks again

flashflood

Enlightened
Thanks to all for your help, which changed my mind completely. I have just purchased an Olight SR91. It is still daylight so I haven't used it yet!

When they become available, I will also purchase a Fenix TK41

Thanks again

Oh, wow. Daylight is no match for the Olight SR91. ;) You'll love it.

bbb74

Enlightened
Hilarious, you are already thinking about your next purchase and you haven't used your first yet :)

Post what you think and even better, some photos!!

yliu

Enlightened
The X21 is really bright, but it's not regulated and it uses the older Cree XRE chips. I wonder id Led Lenser is planning to put XPG or XML chips into it.

yliu

Enlightened
Wait till someone customizes their X21 with 7 XML, Li-ion battery and regulation! lets say around 7000 lumens. Sounds too good to be true.

jukeboxx

Newly Enlightened
- Regulated lights have circuitry between the batteries and the led to control the current going to the led. This allows the torch to have a pretty much constant output level even as the batteries are being used up. When the batteries are flat or close to flat, a regulated light will suddenly go from full brightness to pretty dim very quickly. An unregulated light will start out bright and start fading immediately as the batteries are used - over time the light will fade away to nothing. Unregulated lights are often advertised with ridiculous battery life - because they count all the time when the light is dim, which will be most of the time :) Some unregulated lights (like the x21 I think) can't handle NiMH rechargeables because the NiMH will hold up a higher voltage over a longer time and therefore cause heat issues, whereas alkalines voltage will rapidly drop off, so while with alkalines it will be brighter than NiMH for a couple of minutes or so, after that they will be much dimmer. With a regulated light generally you wouldn't see any difference between alkalines and nimh.

Some lumen ratings are pretty trustworthy - look for ansi lumens, or at least OTF (out the front) lumens being specified. If you don't see those, in most cases it will be a pretty wild claim.

800 lumens is 4 times as much light coming out the torch compared to 200 lumens. But it won't look 4 times brighter to your eyes because our eyes don't see brightness linearly. It might look twice as bright or thereabouts. Lumens are the total amount of light, but do not tell you how tightly focused that light is so it doesn't tell you how far the torch will throw the light, for that look at lux.

This post right here really helped me out as well and i would like the thank the op for creating this thread. Well I have not noticed the immediate dimming in my LED Lenser p7 from home usage, but i have also not looked out for it.

As for the op's title question i feel like the Coast hp21 would be a better light then the LED Lesner x21 from what i have read about un/regulated lights, and the coast has a strobe which i like. YMMV

Latest posts