What's in your glove box?

nolaradio

Newly Enlightened
Hi everybody.

I am looking for suggestions for a small flashlight to keep in the glove box of my truck. I don't think I will be using it much, but it would be nice to have it when I do need it.

What do you keep and/or suggest for carrying in your vehicle?

Like I said, I am looking to keep it in the glove box so a 6 cell Maglite would be out of the question. I don't need anything that will pull double duty as a personal protection device either, I already have something for that. Neither do I need to light up the neighborhood with it.

So what would you suggest and do you have any recommendations for a retailer, preferably one here in the marketplace.

My requirements:

Small, something no larger than 6-7 inches in length.
Must run on readily available batteries, "AA" or "AAA" cells, or be rechargeable.
$100 or less.
Something with a pocket clip or holster might be nice but not necessary. I don't anticipate having to carry this light too often.

Thanks in advance.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Fenix E21 with AA Energizer lithium's. The E21, though quite big for a 2*AA light, feels pretty solid and has a simple, 2 mode UI (bezel tight for high, loose for low). Quite a 'throwy' beam if that's important.

Fenix have brought out an improved (IMO) E11 this year, could be worth a look if you're after a 1*AA light.

For practicality, I'm sure a headlamp would be better suited but I've yet to find anything that suits me.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest a headlamp. It's nice to have both hands free if you need the light for changing a tire or something under the hood. Also, lithium AA/AAA batteries will fare better in the temperature extremes of summer/winter.

These are two I've been looking at trying.

Spark SD73-CW XM-L T6 Cool White 300 Lumen AAA Flood Headlamp

Spark SG5-CW CREE XM-L2 T6 280 Lumen Cool White Headlamp 1 x AA or 1 x 14500

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It does not fit your requirements, but I carry a Surefire G2 with 2 Surefire 3V primary batteries. I run a LF 3 mode HCRI drop in. I think it is very safe and bulletproof.

nolaradio

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. My head does not like headlamps though.

I think I am going to check out the Fenix E21. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what batteries perform the best in this light. Since I don't plan on using this too much, I would like to have something that would hold a decent charge for about six months. If I could get by with changing the batteries twice a year I would be happy.

Illum

Flashaholic
just checked today, three 15-minute flares, poncho, leatherman, and about 30 rounds loose of a handgun caliber neither of my guns use.... oh, a L0D-CE Q4, w00t! thankgoodness for lithium AAAs, never leaked, still works.

Last edited:

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
I have a simple Stanley "tri-pod" light that I bought at Lowes. Runs on 3, 6, or 9 AA batteries. Not the brightest light I have, but still very usable and the tri-pod makes for easy hands free use. I also carry a Black Diamond Headlamp in my door compartment.

I do have an O-light S20 and I'm considering sticking it in the car. I think with the magnetic base and it's flood like beam it would be ideal for auto use. I just don't like having my high end lights in the auto. I lost a 4 sevens once when I forgot to lock my doors.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. My head does not like headlamps though.

I think I am going to check out the Fenix E21. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what batteries perform the best in this light. Since I don't plan on using this too much, I would like to have something that would hold a decent charge for about six months. If I could get by with changing the batteries twice a year I would be happy.

If it's just an emergancy light, go with some disposible lithium AA's- they don't leak, they have a high capacity and they handle temperature extremes better than alkalines. Depending on environmental conditions where you are, they should be good for ?a year or 2? Or 3? (shelf life on new Energizer Ultimate lithium packs is c.10 years if I remember correctly). For more frequent use, I'd suggest Low Self Discharge rechargeable NiMh batteries such as Eneloop. Not as good for a dedicated 'forget about until an emergancy' light than the lithiums but better than alkalines (alkaleaks!).

markr6

Flashaholic
If it's just an emergancy light, go with some disposible lithium AA's- they don't leak, they have a high capacity and they handle temperature extremes better than alkalines. Depending on environmental conditions where you are, they should be good for ?a year or 2? Or 3? (shelf life on new Energizer Ultimate lithium packs is c.10 years if I remember correctly). For more frequent use, I'd suggest Low Self Discharge rechargeable NiMh batteries such as Eneloop. Not as good for a dedicated 'forget about until an emergancy' light than the lithiums but better than alkalines (alkaleaks!).

+1 on the Lithium. As a hardcore Eneloop user (or anything rechargeable user), sometimes you have to passon them and stick with primaries. Could I suggest two lights? For $100 you can get a nice 1xAA headlamp and 1xAA torch so they'll suit pretty much any situation you encounter and also back each other up.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Since my Klarus XT2C became a "twisty" light, I've assigned it a place in my glove box and stays there permanently. Bought a Nitecore SRT3 to replace it as my edc which is much smaller and better overall. Especially the ui. Either of them are great lights, both have identical beam pattern which is ideal if your truck breaks down in the middle of the road.

Best Flashlight

Newly Enlightened
I have been using the Mini Maglite AA for a while now and recently upgraded to the new 226 lumen model. Plus I keep a Maglite 2D LED in my car survival kit. I'm sure some of you are going to give me heck about it, but my reasoning is the cost... If my truck gets broken into then I am only out $50 in flashlights and easy replace them. If I go on trips or camping then that is a different story...

JD20

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MT1A in mine. Could do with adding some spare batteries in there too

Korgath

Newly Enlightened
Nothing beats the sipik sk68 in the glove box department. Flood to throw. Dirt cheap. 1xAA. Can be 1 or 3 mode.

LAMPARITA

Enlightened
Fenix E21 - Great flash light, great price and greatdurability. This light is more durable and brighter then my SureFire and it takes regular AA batteries. You can't beat it! Perfect size, weight and power, water resistant, well made, extremely long battery life. One for the car, one for the back pack, one for the nightstand.

nolaradio

Newly Enlightened
I think I am going to order the Fenix E21. I see a lot of Energizer lithium batteries available on Amazon. Should I go with these or is there another brand that I should go with or do you guys find that the Energizer cells hold up just as good as any other? Thanks.