Which Credit Card for International Travel?

Hans

Enlightened
American Express is the most widely accepted credit card on earth.
I suggest you use the Amex travelers checks too and exchange for local currency as needed.

American Express? Certainly not in Europe. Mastercard (Eurocard) is the most widespread card here, closely followed by Visa. Many shops in Germany don't accept American Express because the transaction fees are too high. By the way, the most widespread card in Germany isn't a credit card, it's a normal bank card (that used to be called "Eurocheque card") that can be used in many European countries.

Traveler's checks are a relatively cheap way of getting hold of some local currency. Still quite a good backup, although you'll need to go to a bank in most countries. Most shops don't accept them in Europe.

Communication - generally speaking text messages are the way to go if you want to use a cellphone. Far cheaper than phonecalls.

Hans

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
every business in SE Asia I just googled listed American Express first as an accepted credit card..
what are you basing your assertion about Visa on...?

shakeylegs

Enlightened
Guess it depends where she will be. In general though, ATM's are becoming commonplace. So for daily expenses with decent fee and exchange rate schedules, the atm card is handy. A visa ATM might prove doubly useful.

Visa is probably most commonly accepted but your own card company (read especially chase and citibank - my experience and that of others I've spoken with) may deny transactions in many places, even if you have informed them of your travel prior to leaving. Both companies caused my wife no end of misery on one business trip to eastern europe. She called me wondering why her transactions were being denied. I contacted the card issuers and customer service people assured me the transactions would be approved. Of course, nothing of the sort happend despite their assurances. Atm pulled her through as no visa transactions were autherized by said companies. When I COMPLAINED, they told me they were just trying to protect me. Yeah!
I've heard of the same happening to others in parts of Europe and Asia.

Amex has great personal service overseas but it's important to set them up prior to leaving. And of course, fewer places accept Amex, especially if you're traveling Rick Steve's style.

Have her make photocopies of her cards and keep those copies in a safe place - just in case they are lost or stolen. Makes cleaning up that whole mess easier now that Karl Malden is gone.

Latest posts