which lux III would you pick

Turbo_E

Enlightened
White Luxeon III 3W Star (LXHL-LW3C) TV1J

White Luxeon III 3W Star (LXHL-LW3C) TWOK

for upgrading my tri lux mag.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
it will be for camping use and i'd like a very white light. so the TV1J is what I should get?

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definately TV1J (I'd even take a TV1k over a TWOK). I like those V's. But it will be a little orange or red tinted (when compared to other lights).

The TWOK will be whiter.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go TW0K. The K vf allows you to run 3x NiMH DD. But if yuo're using alkalines, then J would be the way to go in a tri config. If you are running regulators, then forget what I said.

I like W0 over the warmer tints. I actually like X0 which is colder than W0. Even out side. The warmer colors I seem to pick up too well with a warmer light and I loose depth of field... but thats me...

Turbo_E

Enlightened
I just ordered a 6 AA holder for my 2D mag, so i will be using 6 AA NiMh batts, also using a fatman regulator and dimmer.

cold white light is what i crave.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you are going regulated, the 'right' Vf isn't as important though the Js will probably last slightly longer on a charge.

As for tint, the W0s and X0s are the generally considered the whitest. I've done many TV1L DD builds for outdoors folks and all were pleased with them. The V1s tend to be slightly yellowish and sometimes slightly greenish. It's not horrible in actual use, esp outdoors, but if you compare a V1 to an W0 or an X0 on a white wall, the V1 is kinda ugly.

Also, on the Lux IIIs I haven't seen a huge range in tints with the V1s but with Q and R bins, I've seen some awful looking tints with the V1s.

Personally, I'd go for the TW0Ks though I'd prefer TW0Js.

mateen

Enlightened
+1 for the V1 especially because you are using it outdoors. The lower Vf is just an added bonus. I have both TV1J lights and TW0J lights and the V1s are nicer outside - they don't 'flatten' the outdoors as badly as the colder tinted LEDs do.

Turbo_E

Enlightened
i've contacted Photonfanatic re: TYOK lux stars.

according to colorcharts, the TV1J may be slightly green and the TWOK may be the whitest, but way more $

I like the tint of my SYOK Luxes so I'll go with those. TYOK will be just brighter. :)