Which Sebenza?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've read every post I've been able to find concerning the Sebenza. It sounds like a folder I'd be interested in. My first question concerns which styling to go with.

-Small?
-Large?
-Classic?
-New Style?

How did you folks decide on which to purchase?

was_jlh

Enlightened
Small "regular" style. For everyday pocket carry, the small is best. A friend of mine has a large and the small is definitely easier for EDC. I prefer the look of the "regular" over the new "classic" style.

Joe

Rorschach

Newly Enlightened
I had the pleasure of meeting Chris Reeve at Blade Show West recently, and I can honestly say the best way is to try and handle them all to see which suits your needs and aesthetics. They are fairly different, but just for openers, I'd recommend a Large Classic. Why? I like the lines of the classic better, and for the money, I think is the small has too many good competitors out there. I'm sure you'll get other opinions.

Deanster

Enlightened
Lots of opinions on this one - I've been carrying a small regular for several years now, very happily. Here's my thoughts:

Small vs. large is purely a matter of your needs. The small is a very classic size, and hangs very nicely in my pocket, so light and thin it's hardly noticable. I find the large a bit too... well, large for really comfortable EDC. It's also big enough to cross the line for legal folders many places, and a bit chunky and overbuilt for, say, opening plastic bags.

That said, if you don't mind the size, and have need of the larger blade, nothing wrong with the large.

Similarly, Classic style is nice, but I find the slightly more modern lines of the regular more attractive, and the geometry more to my liking. Purely personal preference, though.

I will say that I'd avoid a decorated Sebenza for your first Sebenza - I think of the decorated Sebenzas like I would if Peter Gransee started to decorate ARC's - it's OK, but not what I buy them for.

I find their customer service and support to be amazing - I've been very pleased, epecially with their free re-sharpening.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for you comments guys, especially yours Deanster. Based on you comments and more reading I've done on BladeForums, I think I'm deciding on the small. Pocketability is important and I had forgotten all about that "blade must no larger than 3" law" we have here in New Jersey. Now I need to decide on Classic or New-Style. By the way, I do agree with your comment about keeping it plane. I don't want to get into the fancy ones, just a standard plain folder, that's it.

Maybe to help me decide on Classic or New-Style, I can give you some informaton that you or anyone else can comment on. My hands are on the large size, I'm right handed and my palms tend to sweat alot.

DumboRAT

Enlightened
nascar,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Small vs. large is a matter of size and weight perference.

Best bet is to either find a local knife retailer who carries both or go on one of the knife-enthusiast Forums to see if you can hook up with some local knife-lovers to try out each knife. Alternatively, find knives in your own collection that approximates the size/weight ratio.

Case-in-point is that although I prefer larger folders like the Strider AR/GB or the Extrema Ratio MPC (all of which I own), due to my daily-wear clothes, I can only carry lighter folders with comfort as EDCs. Here, my current favorite is a RJ Martin Avenger, which is much lighter, yet still carries a blade length of 4 and a quarter inches (which exceeds that of any of the aforementioned knives).

It's all about finding the right weight/size ratio.

As for the styling of the blade/handle, that's up to your personal eye. To me, it doesn't make much ergo or usage difference -- just that I'm more of a "Regular" (modern) type of guy, that's all.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Allen
aka DumboRAT

Deanster

Enlightened
T_i_N - regular vs. classic is a tough one, as the differences are really very small.

90% of the difference is in the area around the thumb stud - the regular has small scallops on the lock side, and small scallops with a larger assymetrical (think Nike swoosh) cutout on the stud side. The classic has one large half-moon cutout on the stud side, and is smooth on the lock side.

I find the scallops (which are nicely rounded, rather than harsh or jagged) provide a nice grip enhancer (my palms are a bit sweaty, and I often work in wet environments), and I don't like the look of the half-moon stud cutout on the classic, so regular was an easy choice for me.

I think if I'd had a classic to begin with, I would have been happy, and then moved to the regular when it came out. As it is, I had the regular, and wouldn't even consider the classic.

torment

Newly Enlightened
I've got a small regular sebenza for sale if you are interested. I can take pics and such...it was born on June 23, 2003 I believe. Its used, but not abused. Just e-mail or PM me!

woodsman

Newly Enlightened
Nascar, I tried to email and PM you but had no success.
If you want a new seb at the best price email me. I'm a reeve dealer. I have all four knives mentioned in stock. Thanks, Jeff

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
This_is_Nascar,
I have the Large Standard & the Large Classic with ebony & gold inlay. The small is just to small for my hand. It would be best for you to try them all and see which you like. I know with lights you buy a few and pick the ones you like, but Sebenzas are so consistent that this is unnecessary. You might buy one of each version, pick the ones you want and sell the rest. It seems to me that people that wear dress clothes prefer the small Sebenza.
For what it's worth the wood inlay is holding up just fine.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Deanster, thanks. That's help a bunch.
Terment, thanks, but if/when I purchase one, I want it to be new.
woodsman, not sure what the problem is. I'm getting PM's and E-Mail from others. You asked to E-Mail you, but your address is not in your profile. Let me know how to contact you.
Hoghead, thanks. I plan to carry this during work (dress environment), so that's why I'm thinking of the smaller sized one. That, plus the laws in NJ concerning blades > 3-inches.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
TIN,
The small is very good in the work enviornment. I carry my small Stars and Stripes in the office every day. It rides low and does not raise any red flags. It is funny because in my office a full sized mult-tool on the belt is normal, but a knife alone clipped to your pocket is suspect.
Some prefer the large because they feel the sub 3 inch blade of the small is too short. I have found the small to be a very capable knife and really like the convex, hollow ground blade design (much more than other blades in the 3 inch range).
Good luck in your research and enjoy the one you settle on.

Geode

Enlightened
T-I-N,

Since you have large hands, you might find the Classic sebbie easier to open and close, particlularly, with the small model. The cut out allows you to more readily access the lockbar to disengage the lock.

I personally prefer, and own the small regular. I have handled and owned virtually every CRK folder, and the small Calvalry regular and snakewood Mnandi are the only ones kept.

You are doing a good thing getting a sebenza. They are of pretty consistently high quality, so you won't have to buy a few, keep the "best", and sell the rest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Thanks for the information. I think I've narrowed my choice down to one of these in the short version.

bestknives_1770_1421348.jpg

Geode

Enlightened
TIN,

One other thing to notice is the contours of the handle. Notice that the classic has a very shallow dip on the back of the handle and a bit of a sharper edge on the "butt" of the knife. The contours of the handle may take you a little more getting used to than the regular model. That is another reason I own the regular instead of the classic. Same goes for the larger model.

The classic has a "pointier" blade profile. Prettier, IMO, but the regular is plenty pointy and has a nice belly.

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
Hey T.I.N.
I just went through the same thing, sweated the decision and finally chose the small Classic. Ordered it online and they sent me a small Regular instead. I was bummed out and immediately ordered a classic from another dealer with the intention of returning the Regular. While waiting for the Classic I got rather attached to the Reg and when the Classic finally arrived I was a little disapointed. Nothing wrong with the knife of course. It's just that I figured I just should have stuck with the Reg. because it suited me just fine.
Then I read about the work that Tom Mayo does with the Sebenza and I sent the Classic off to him for the treatment. Wow, now that is just what I was looking for. Now the Mayonized Classic goes with me everywhere while the Reg, in it's stock form, sits in the safe.
In either case the differences are minor and both versions are winners. You can't go wrong with either one. Of course now I long for a Large Wood Inlay, probably a reg...or perhaps...

paulr

Flashaholic
I'd consider one of the decorated ones. Some of them really do look nice. Unlike flashlights, knives have been around for thousands of years and their functional aspects have been pretty well worked out by now. The excellence of a Sebenza isn't just in its raw usefulness or its space age technology, but also in its precision and its design thoughtfulness. The thing just screams quality. The decoration is an emblem of the pride of workmanship that went into it, and it makes it nicer when you take out the knife just to look at it, which you'll probably do quite a lot.

Edit: oh neat, some disassembly pics. I hadn't seen this before.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854

Overload

Newly Enlightened
I have both smalls in lefty. Bought the regular first, and had problems getting my thumb to depress the frame lock. Finally figured it out (push as far forward as you can, not straight down). Still, I ordered a Classic. Today I carry the Classic as my EDC. I just like the bigger cutout for disengaging the lock.

Overload in Colorado

p.s. strangely, I like the thumb stud on the regular. They seem the same, but the classic stud seems to bite my thumb, allmost like there's a burr on it, but there isn't. I may take both apart and swich blades to fix this

Latest posts