Why Collect Flashlights?

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight collecting also tends to be less expensive than other hobbies.

Are you kidding? my wallet is breaking down in the last few weeks...
Ah, if you're meaning other hobbies as luxury cars colleting then I agree ;)

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Keygrip you are right. But you know what? (Evil chuckle) My flashlights ARE joined by knives and guns. Watches? (m..u..s..t.....r...e..s.i.s.t with all my strength). But on a serious note do watch out. (Pun intended) Bills must come first. Then it's time to play. Don't sacrifice common sense. Otherwise enjoy all you wish. I myself keep ogling pics of jewel like micro lights often.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well now you're mixing, and that can be dangerous. Guns and lights? Fine. Guns and knives? Fine. Guns, lights, and knives?? Dangerous territory.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
It's almost always a combination of things that'll get you in the end. I just got that bit about mixing. Clever my friend.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I also keep on asking myself the same question and I fear I know the answer, not sure though.

My first collection were keyholders. That was in my youth, I got them all for free or as gifts, just put them in a box. Them came Swatches. I made the mistake of buying them too quick, so I now have 70 Swatches from 93-95, lousy collection. Then I collected 1:43 Formula 1 models and I have about 40 cars, mostly from 95-97, lousy as well. Last was wine, I can't even tell you how many bottles I have and currently I don't drink anymore. In between was a Playstation wit accessoires and games, 1:18 car models, Whisky and things I don't remember now.

All my collections have in common that they lasted 2 to 5 years and that I bouht way to much in a short time. Obsessive-compulsiness? Everything I start quickly runs out of normal quantities and my accounts suffer big time as I don't really think about how much I spend anymore. I know that I get addicted quickly to everything I start, I'm a junkie...

As for the lights, my love for them started with the Mags 20 years ago, my first LEDs 2 years ago and the real collection 1 year ago, the madness 2 months ago and I wonder how it will move on, it just can't the way it goes on currently. Holy sh**, the lights don't spare me the psy, they are about to send me to the psy!!! I need another titanium light!!!

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I've always liked flashlights. But I don't really consider myself a collector. I've bought about 12 lights this past year, after going years without buying any. Most of my flashlights are considered tools. Though I appreciate their form and design very much.

I do consider myself a collector of firearms. A few are actual tools, but most were acquired because of their historical significance, or because they represent a technological or design milestone.

I find that as I learn more about something, the subtle differences become more apparent, and this is what leads to the desire to collect many different types of an item.

computernut

Enlightened
Some people collect but I think I'm just searching for my perfect light but as with most tools there are so many different jobs you need lots of tools to cover them all ;)

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
True, a lot of us become collectors because we are on a holy grail search, and we make a lot of purchases along the way only to find out "eh, it's nice, but if it was just a little smaller, a little bit brighter, and ran just a little bit longer......" :whistle: