Why do you buy more than one of the same light?

tradderran

Newly Enlightened
As this thread is progressing, another question occurred to me. (Therapy is good) As kids were we all afraid of the dark? Have we not outgrown that fear? Why do we carry backups for backups? It makes no sense espcecially when we carry these lights during broad daylight? You talk to the average guy on the street. Almost nobody carries a single flashlight, let alone 3, and certainly not 3 of the same light. So what, if we are in the dark for a few minutes if there is light outage? Won't the lights eventually come on? Aren't most public places equipped with emergency battery lights anyway. Are we so well prepared for every other emergency in life as the emergency of darkness (Is that really an emergency, anyway)? Do we carry 3 Swiss Army knives just in case a tool breaks, or we loose it? I don't expect to get sensible answers from my fellow flashaholics. On the other hand my wife, would be most appreciatative.

Ok now we are getting somewhere I also carry 3 of the same knife Eye brand stag moose one for edc one in my glovebox one in my bag. If
one gets dull I go to the next one. By the way I have a working Ranch
so this happens.:shakehead also 4 Surefire A2s one EDC one in truck glovebox
one in my bag one at the house. need at least 2 more one for the barn
and one in the office:whistle:

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
And four means you have freak'n OCD!!!

Well, four of the E2(d/e/O/L) is ok because they're each different. Now, 4 Arcs...I don't know about that one. I hope they were the old classic high-quality Arcs.

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok now we are getting somewhere I also carry 3 of the same knife Eye brand stag moose one for edc one in my glovebox one in my bag. If
one gets dull I go to the next one. By the way I have a working Ranch
so this happens.:shakehead also 4 Surefire A2s one EDC one in truck glovebox
one in my bag one at the house. need at least 2 more one for the barn
and one in the office:whistle:

Gee, I feel better, already! :eek: We are all a bunch of sick puppies, aren't we? I can take comfort only for the time being that your illness is more advanced than mine.

Uncle Bob

Enlightened
Maybe this doesn't count. I thought I had lost a Gerber IU so I bought another one because it was my pocket EDC. Later I found the original in another set of pants. Thus 2 of the same lights. :ohgeez:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I hope they were the old classic high-quality Arcs.

As a matter of fact 3 of them are. They are all 1st issue Premium, CS, and DS models. But they are also my most carried and used lights so they definitely have that "mature" look to them.

I recently bought a Aussie mini-tower FM-1 module for my E1e. But the real reason why I bought it is because it came in a minty fresh E1e...

Last edited:

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Redundancy (if a part fails, cannibalize another until you can re-equip), familiarity (hey this feels good), or just plain preference -

choose whichever you like the most. It's a combination of all three for me. Having the same form factor of light hidden in my car, med kit, on my belt... it's just easy.

Tomcat!

Enlightened
I generally don't have two of any light exactly the same. I've been trading up on things like Fenix so I may have for example, a couple of P3Ds, but they will have progressively newer emitters. The only time I've bought exactly the same lights is when I've found something I'm really happy with and want to give them away as presents. I've done this four times with the L2DCE for non-flashaholic friends, where I've decided they really need to have a good light to carry with them (and of course they're dead impressed), but if they don't then get bitten by the flashlight bug, never mind, at least they now have a good quality light and I get that warm fuzzy feeling of having done someone some good.:twothumbs

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Giving a non-flashaholic a good light and having a warm fuzzy feeling? Gee, I wonder if that's how my friend felt when he shared his weed with me, knowing I never had smoked before?

Centropolis

Enlightened
To me, I only buy the second one only if I find them on sale or find a good deal on them. So far, I've only have one duplicate light G2L.....but one is black with metal bezel and the other is yellow with Nitrolon head.

Burgess

Flashaholic
You find a flashlight which you really like.

Or, at least, you think it's gonna' have potential as a (fill-in-the-blank).

Then, you get a "tip" from a CPF thread that there's a sale at REI or CampMor or (fill-in-the-blank),
so you buy SEVERAL of them.

All the while, thinking: " My, what a clever person i am ! "

Then, you see ANOTHER thread on CPF.

These flashlights, which you just recently got half-a-dozen on sale,
are now CLEARANCE PRICED, at FIVE BUCKS apiece ! ! !

You start to panic !

You say to yerself: "Hey, once these last ones are Gone, they're Gone !"

( who can dispute that logic, eh ? ) :whistle:

So, you rush to that Website, and purchase a Bunch More.

In EVERY COLOR available.

Thinking: "Boy, was i lucky to get in on this final sale !"

Now, with DOZENS of these flashlights in your humble abode,
you begin to realize something . . . .

"Ya' know, they really don't work all that well, after all."

"Especially compared to the fancy new (fill-in-the-blank) flashlight model."

And the cycle continues.

:devil:

( of course, this has NEVER happened to ME ! )

:whistle:
_

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeing Dave's A2 collection has made me feel a WHOLE lot better about all the lights I've bought in the last 6 months. I can honestly say I have not doubled up on any. Although the UA2 and UB2 could be another story.

Thanks Dave, Nice collection. I noticed you have different LED colors, do you use all of them?

Bill

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've reached the point where I have more lights than shoes. :sick2:

cyberpunk

Newly Enlightened
I think there are several good reasons for purchasing more than one of the same light - most have already been stated on this thread.

Like many others here, I tend to pick up extras of whatever I'm purchasing, if I know it's a "keeper", in anticipation of the item not being available at a future date.

Specific to flashlights, the reason I've purchased numerous SureFire 6Ps (and 6PLs and 6PDLs) is because I find this light to be
  • Perfect for a variety of my needs. I have several of them for my cars and around the house.
  • Cheap. The cost of a SureFire 6P is one I can stomache for a 'beater' light.
  • Easily customized with various drop-ins, so several different lights of this same design can, in fact, be configured totally differently.
In my particular case, and for my needs, it makes perfect sense to have several of this same light.

As for the E2D (and a couple E2DLs that I'm waiting on), this is my preferred EDC light. The E2D works perfectly for me, attached to a key ring. I'm a bit concerned that the E2DL will be just a bit long for my liking, as it's a bit longer than the E2D and I find the E2D just right, but I figure the extended battery life and increased lumens make the E2DL a great EDC light. Again, I have more than one of these lights so that one is always handy.

I purchased more than one M6 simply because this light kicks tush! This was my only multiple purchase of the same light that had no sound reason behind it! (unless you consider the desire for a crenulated bezel and a scalloped bezel 'sound reasoning'). :):)

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
quite simple really, i bought two E0s from fenix.....

dont see them there anymore..:D

ones is a user, one is a keeper...

Crenshaw

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will usually only double up on lights that fill mutiple roles or have such a good "quality/function/price" ratio, they are worth having around in multiple areas. A few multiples I own include 3 Inova 24/7's, 3 G2's, 2 AA M*g's/2 3D M*g's, and 3 Military Crooknecks. I also recently bought 3 of the Garrity 6-LED 3AAA lights for $6 a pop for the kiddo's for a recent camping trip, and they're now doing double duty in my first aid kits (plural...nuff said):popcorn: