why dont anduril firmware lights set temoarure at the factory? i

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i mean cant they do the average of a 100 lights from the asembely line and program tempature?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose they could do a reset, which would set the temperature. However, that would set the temperature at the factory, which isn't necessarily the temperature that is programmed into the light when it is reset.

But the real reason is time. Even if it just takes a minute to do the temperature setting, that's hundreds of hours of time they'd have to pay for.

ferthur

Newly Enlightened
Anduril lights are set at the factory. But from what I recall from reading in TK's posts at BLF, there's a fairly significant amount of variance in the ATTINY chips that Anduril uses. One might report 21c, one might report 19c and another might report 22c in a room that's 20c. This is, I believe, at least part of the reason why Anduril's thermal limit is set somewhat conservatively at 45c by default.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious so looked up what an Andruil light program sheet was all about. 😳

All I can say is my life is complicated enough. I'll just stick with the simple ones I have thanks.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious so looked up what an Andruil light program sheet was all about. 

All I can say is my life is complicated enough. I'll just stick with the simple ones I have thanks.

Yeah, Andruil is a bit of a mess. Tons of features, but almost impossible to remember, and too easy to reprogram something by mistake.

I wish there was a muggle mode for flashaholics. Same simple interface, but allowing the full range of output. Or, perhaps allow the different modes, but disallow any programming. That way, you could set up your light, using the cheat sheet, then switch it to "professional muggle" mode, and not worry about accidentally reprogramming it. It should be really difficult to get out of "pro muggle mode", something like 20 clicks and a hold press.

carrot

Flashaholic
Yeah, Andruil is a bit of a mess. Tons of features, but almost impossible to remember, and too easy to reprogram something by mistake.

I wish there was a muggle mode for flashaholics. Same simple interface, but allowing the full range of output. Or, perhaps allow the different modes, but disallow any programming. That way, you could set up your light, using the cheat sheet, then switch it to "professional muggle" mode, and not worry about accidentally reprogramming it. It should be really difficult to get out of "pro muggle mode", something like 20 clicks and a hold press.

Anduril2 adds this. It'll be called simple mode.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i figured it out but i reallt need all.my lights with same os.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have split views on Anduril. I do feel it is a bit too complicated and trying to be too many things to too many people. But ultimately you somewhat limited with user inputs on a flashlight.

I find just trying to use a few features keeps it easier to use:

- long click from off = moonlight

From here you can do anything you are likely to want daily

- single click from off will be your last output

The ramping is so quick that if it is on a low output. Getting more light is pretty instant and super easy.

- double click while in = Turbo

And that's it really. You don't need anything else to have a very usable setup and just forget and ignore the rest. This makes is super simple and highly
flexible.

Some lights the 4 click from off Lock out is handy. But not essential.

If you want to use blinky modes often. There are better UI'd for this in my opinion.

Mgizler

Enlightened
I have split views on Anduril. I do feel it is a bit too complicated and trying to be too many things to too many people. But ultimately you somewhat limited with user inputs on a flashlight.

I find just trying to use a few features keeps it easier to use:

- long click from off = moonlight

From here you can do anything you are likely to want daily

- single click from off will be your last output

The ramping is so quick that if it is on a low output. Getting more light is pretty instant and super easy.

- double click while in = Turbo

And that's it really. You don't need anything else to have a very usable setup and just forget and ignore the rest. This makes is super simple and highly
flexible.

Some lights the 4 click from off Lock out is handy. But not essential.

If you want to use blinky modes often. There are better UI'd for this in my opinion.

I agree with this. At first I thought this software was too much when my cousin got his d4v2. But after getting an Fw3a and carrying it for an extended period, I have grown to love it. And using it everyday has allowed my to remember all the ins and outs of the software. It really can just be a simple light if you just use it that way. No need to click into different settings if you don't want to.

joshk

Newly Enlightened
I was looking forward to my FW3A's Anduril after reading how great it was. It's my least favorite. Every time someone borrows it, I need to Google the user manual to fix it. And fixing it is hard, as how many presses do what totally depends on if you start with it on, or start with it off. It's the bane of my collection. At least the light quality from the SST20's is incredible.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I was curious so looked up what an Andruil light program sheet was all about. 😳

I recall the same thing being said about the Arc4 and later HDS some 15 years ago. I probably said similar things about them at the time.

The great thing about Anduril is that the more complicated aspects of the UI are set-and-forget configuration things that you won't need to use regularly. The bad thing about Anduril is that one occasionally finds oneself in a config mode accidentally; I've found that cutting power is a good way to avoid having to remember the config sequence on level selections or thermal config.

One thing I wish that these microprocessor-controlled lights could implement is out-of-band configuration - i.e. some sort of config file that's managed separately from using the thing so you don't find yourself in a config mode unwittingly. But that's added cost and physical margin (be it a USB header or using the LED as an optical receiver and sending a series of flashes via a web app to set the config), thus not terribly likely on the inexpensive lights that tend to use Anduril.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with this. At first I thought this software was too much when my cousin got his d4v2. But after getting an Fw3a and carrying it for an extended period, I have grown to love it. And using it everyday has allowed my to remember all the ins and outs of the software. It really can just be a simple light if you just use it that way. No need to click into different settings if you don't want to.

For me, one of the biggest annoyances is the triple-click. There is one special mode I want access to, and that's the battery voltage check. That's very useful, but it's a triple-click, kind-of. Depends on if your blinkies are set up to go right to that mode, otherwise, there's double-clicks or something like that that to scroll around to it. And, if I triple-click from on (which is pretty natural), then it's something different entirely... a stepped mode I just switched to. Arrrrgh!

I'm sure if I used it daily, I'd get used to it. But, it's definitely not a light to use only occasionally, or hand it to someone and expect they won't screw it up.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, one of the biggest annoyances is the triple-click. There is one special mode I want access to, and that's the battery voltage check. That's very useful, but it's a triple-click, kind-of. Depends on if your blinkies are set up to go right to that mode, otherwise, there's double-clicks or something like that that to scroll around to it. And, if I triple-click from on (which is pretty natural), then it's something different entirely... a stepped mode I just switched to. Arrrrgh!

I'm sure if I used it daily, I'd get used to it. But, it's definitely not a light to use only occasionally, or hand it to someone and expect they won't screw it up.
triple click from off is battery check.

although if I'm being perfectly honest, I've never needed such a thing on any other light. And therefore don't really need it on Anduril lights either. Such a feature certainly falls in the 'want' rather than 'need' camp IMO.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
triple click from off is battery check.

I know, but it's not always easy to remember, so I often triple-click from on. Even if I do hit the beacon modes, am I in temperature readout, or voltage readout?

although if I'm being perfectly honest, I've never needed such a thing on any other light. And therefore don't really need it on Anduril lights either. Such a feature certainly falls in the 'want' rather than 'need' camp IMO.

Yeah, I'd give it up if there was a simple mode like muggle, but for the entire range (and with a double-click to access turbo). But knowing the voltage level is handy. Some of the lights have aux LEDs that will tell you what the voltage level is, but I generally don't like to have the aux LED on.

WebHobbit

Enlightened
I find the aux as temp meter on the D4v2 nice once I set the aux lights to LOW brightness. After I set the aux to low and temp meter I never enter any configs again. For me once I experienced the smooth ramping up/down on the Emisar/Noctigon lights I never wanted to use ANY other UI ever again. IMHO it is the Holy Grail of Light UI

draver

Newly Enlightened
I am a recent (+/- One Week) Anduril user and find it challenging, but fun. I now have 3 SC31 Pro lights and toy with them daily. I have made a little "Cheat Sheet" note in my iPhone that describes most features and how to adjust or use them. The things I have committed to memory are the 3 clicks for either Blinkies or Strobes. From there it's a double click in each grouping and you will see what is available once you are there. The other settings are mostly set & forget, having found what I prefer from the menu. I intend to keep buying Anduril devices since a fixed standard for all household lights is a godsend compared to having 19 different ways to get other lights to function. I do still have my Gladius, but need to look up how to program it these days.

Last edited: