Why warm tint is more preferred in flashlight, scientific explanation

markr6

Flashaholic
Never discuss religion, politics, money, or tint :laughing:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Never discuss religion, politics, money, or tint :laughing:

Maybe we can get the ones who are from the cooler camp to ride the same bus with the kids from the warmer camp, so that they all learn to get along?

I'm in both camps, so I'll be in the HOV lane anyway....as I use the brightest throwiest lights for disaster response/searching, etc....as that's what WORKS, and, I use warmer lights where those tints bring out what needs to be brought out, and, cooler tints for what THOSE lights tend to bring out, and so forth.

The rest of you, put down the picket signs, and try to be tolerant.

:D

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
What analogy are you trying to make here? Warm tint = steak, cool tint = hot dogs?
Nah, but if I were to address this one I'd say that the preference for cool/warm tint would have little or no correlation to what food choice the user would make.

They would just simply like what they liked with a percentage of each side trying to force their view on the other, and a remaining percentage being just happy to let others choose for themselves.

You could say that the ones who try to persuade others that their own view is the only right one could be quite obnoxious at a restaurant if they insisted also on ordering your food for you!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Would you guys get back on track and stop the nonsense. Keep it up and I willl close this thread. :naughty:

Bill

LanthanumK

Newly Enlightened
I bought a SF G2X Pro with its neutral tint, and I must say that I would prefer a cooler tint. I find the very warm tint of halogen and incandescent to be very undesirable, especially at low intensities. I really like the high color rendition with as cool a tint as possible.

Warm tints appear more relaxing and traditional, while cool tints are more energizing and modern. The preference varies depending on personality.

groutboy_1

Enlightened
I bet everyone can agree here...No-one would like a "Cat PUKE, Dark Green tinted LED"! I think everyone remembers the early days of LEDs, and the LED Luxeon lottery! Say NO to Green LEDs, and bad Q.C. !

groutboy_1

Enlightened
"A Flag has Been thrown!" (NFL Referees work here! I was wondering where those guys who made calls against the Patriots reside! Lol!)

groutboy_1

Enlightened
I don't mind both...All are better than the aforementioned tints...(Especially, yellowish- green, or dark mildew green...Not a flashlight you would WANT! )

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's hilarious when people try to use science to prove the "correctness" of their personal preference.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't really call them ignorant, they could know everything about flashlights and still go for brightness and throw.

Yes, I don't oppose that. I just meant that it's specially typhical for a person without knowledge about flashlights to go for brightness and throw, and not even think about beam character or tint. I did the same in my early flashoholism... ;)

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I find the very warm tint of halogen and incandescent to be very undesirable, especially at low intensities. I really like the high color rendition with as cool a tint as possible.

Warm tints appear more relaxing and traditional, while cool tints are more energizing and modern. The preference varies depending on personality.
The higher the output, the warmer I like the tint, and the lower the output, the cooler I like it, within a given range of generally white light that is.
I think it's hilarious when people try to use science to prove the "correctness" of their personal preference.
Definitely quotable! :thumbsup:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm okay with both but when I was ill last year I felt nauseous when I turned on the Surefire G2X Pro with the Nichia LED. To my eyes it was so yellow that is made me uncomfortable seeing that tint. But when I was well again it was back to normal.