Will Rayovac NiMh charger work to charge eneloops?

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
Hey! I wanted to know if this would be a problem. I have the Rayovac Platinum package that came with a "smart charger" for nimh AA or AAA and I am interested in buying a few extra AA nimh batteries and wanted to try the eneloops. Will it be a problem to use this same charger for them? If so, I would just buy the Rayovac Platinum batteries that came with the charger because I can not afford to buy a totally new set up right now. The manual states that the charger will work with any nimh batteries but rayovacs are recommended. Thanks for any input!

Yamabushi

Enlightened
IIRC that charger only charges batteries in pairs. You would be better off with a charger with fully independent channels so that each battery is charged optimally.

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
IIRC that charger only charges batteries in pairs. You would be better off with a charger with fully independent channels so that each battery is charged optimally.

I understand that would be a "better" option, but not in the market to buy a new charger right now. All I want to know is if the Rayovac charger will charge the Eneloops as they need to be in order to work effectively?

Dlight

Newly Enlightened
PapaLumen,

So have you tried charging eneloops with a different brand nimh charger, successfully?
I just dont want to buy the eneloops and them not charge correctly with the rayovac charger and then have to invest in a sanyo charger

Etsu

Enlightened
PapaLumen,

So have you tried charging eneloops with a different brand nimh charger, successfully?
I just dont want to buy the eneloops and them not charge correctly with the rayovac charger and then have to invest in a sanyo charger

Yes, Eneloops will charge with any NiMH charger. You don't need a special charger for them. Best to use a charger that can charge individual cells, but charging in pairs will also work. Just make sure to use the cells in pairs in whatever device you're using them in, if you're also charging in pairs.

Latest posts