Winchester Model 12 circa 1925

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for going back and confirming. The more I think about this, the more I want to have it checked out and then use it for "normal" situation where magnum loads are not required.

wylde21 said:
Also, to confirm something else stated above, the steel used in these barrels probably should not be used with steel shot (it was not the better quality nickel steel used in later year Model 12s).

The barrel is clearly stamped with "nickel steel" (or similar). Since you seem to have done more research than me :) was nickel steel an upgrade, or did they later improve the quality of the nickel steel?

And my apologies to any Georgia duck hunters. All I hear about is deer and turkey hunting. I guess my world is a little too small.

Jon

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please don't think from my earlier posts that I was "dissing" the M12. It's one of the finest shotguns ever made. You'll find that yours, with the PolyChoke, is a great hunting and general use gun.

M12's in the higher grades sell in the 5 figures.

magic79

Enlightened
Here is a quote I found in an older article in Guns Magazine:

"The impact that steel shot had on traditional waterfowling shotguns cannot be stressed enough. Because hard steel shot lacks the easy flowing characteristics of lead shot through forcing cones and tight chokes, older guns could not handle it without some damage to their barrels. "

I'm certain I remember reading years ago that steel shot could also score the barrel on older guns.

BTW: Stone Dog, I love the lighting in the Avatar. Is that you?

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
magic79 said:
BTW: Stone Dog, I love the lighting in the Avatar. Is that you?

LOL, no that's certainly not me. It's a picture of Bruce Lee of the 60s/70s martial arts movie fame. I'm kinda wanting to change it but the new CPF doesn't seem to allow it yet.

Jon

bcampb7165

Newly Enlightened
I have a 1925 Winchester Model 12 in 12 Guage 30" Barrel. The barrel is inscribed "Full", Nickel Steel, Checked stocks. Any idea which model?? Pigeon , Trap, Duck, Standard????? Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0524.JPG
    DSCN0524.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0516.JPG
    DSCN0516.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0523.JPG
    DSCN0523.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN0526.JPG
    DSCN0526.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN0513.JPG
    DSCN0513.JPG
    410.6 KB · Views: 78

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 1925 Winchester Model 12 in 12 Guage 30" Barrel. The barrel is inscribed "Full", Nickel Steel, Checked stocks. Any idea which model?? Pigeon , Trap, Duck, Standard????? Thanks
I'll send you a link with directions on how to get your type rather than post 20 different times back and forth with the info I'd need. : D

bcampb7165

Newly Enlightened
Checked ur link. Thanks but it really did not help with identification. It is more of a generic site. This year model of Winchester Model 12 does not fit a lot of those categories because they are later production. I know it is high end and I think Tournament Grade but it appears some modification of Buttplate/Stock to fit the current buttplate which is aftermarket. I am trying to find someone is is knowledgeable of Model 12's. Thanks again for your help. The serial no is 416xxx. As seen by the pictures it is in near mint condition for a shotgun manufactured in 1925.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok. It isn't a trap or it would physically be stamped with trap so you can mark that off.
Check under the buttplate on the wood and see if it's marked "tourn". I'm almost 99% it's a tourney model. If you had used the whole page I sent you you could have eliminated most models. Almost all of them have marks that give them away.

bcampb7165

Newly Enlightened
Thanks , I did eliminate them all except the tourney. Some of the models it referenced did not get manufactured until much later. Again thanks for ur input. I learnt a lot.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with your venture! Once you get that butt plate off let us know! Regardless of what variant it is they are awesome shotguns. Enjoy it!