• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

WIP: Tungsten Flashlight

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tungsten Flashlight, or something else?

Turns out that Tungsten machines a bit like Titanium, so it isn't impossible to work with.

The sad news is that there isn't enough length to the bar to make an Aleph mule, so I will make my own LE, most likely with a Nichia 219 and a mini FLuPIC three level driver. Had to drop down to a CR2 battery to get the light short enough. As a result, I'll take the diameter down to be more in tune with the diameter of the battery and LE--21mm to be precise.

I'm also going to put a labor-intensive square checkered pattern on the surface--very similar to raised square knurling. I'll post a rendering soon.

Last edited:

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

So what's the intended maximum length of this light? I'm personally very interested to see how this turns out :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

It will be around 56-57mm, give or take a couple mm's. I'm not trying to minimize the length, just get i down to fit the bar.

Here are a couple of renderings. Not that I expect the W to be this shiny.

WLight-1.JPG

WLight-2.JPG

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Changed my mind--those squares were too small and would have taken an eternity to machine, so I've made them larger:

WLight-3.JPG

WLight-4.JPG

Zandar

Enlightened

Fred I'm drooling again! You know that saying is true: "You can't own just one PhotonFanatic Light" Studies have shown that your lights are addictive! Is their something your putting in them?

fl0t

Enlightened

tungsten CR2 fatty!

A tungsten flashlight, has it been done before?

awenta

Enlightened

:drool: :eek: awesome! :takeit:

You have found a real niche market! These would sell like hot Krispy Kremes.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

So is it knurled or will those patterns be machined? I'm obviously interested to see how that turns out...

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think you are correct; the only Tungsten light that I've read about was Larry's light.

Don't quote me on this, but I recall reading somewhere on the forum Mac made a one-off EDC SST-50 in actual W, not tungsten coated.

I really want to see how this looks when finished, and how it looks compared to titanium

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Matt: The pattern will be milled into the surface, not knurled.

Ryan: You could be right--I really don't know if Mac made one or not.

And now I'll turn this thread into a WIP thread. Admittedly, I haven't gotten very far on the machining of the light, but I have started.

W_Mule_WIP-1.jpg

Here's the 1" square stock in the four-jaw chuck; and, yeah, it does stick out more than I would like, but I am taking light cuts.

Tungsten seems fairly nice to machine, at least this alloy, which is 95% W and some other element. Unlike Ti, W makes small chips, not long strings, and it does not work harden. I suspect that getting a super smooth shiny surface will not be in the cards, however.

W_Mule_WIP-2.jpg

Here I've taken a good portion of the bar down to 25.4mm diameter, or 1". At this point, I remove the piece from the four-jaw chuck and place the turned down end into a collet.

W_Mule_WIP-4.jpg

Once in the collet, I can now turn down the remaining square portion of the bar.

After the entire bar had been reduced to 1" diameter, I drilled and bored the interior to 17mm, so that I could insert an expandible collet into the piece. That would allow me to access the entire length of the bar, now about 57mm, in one continuous pass.

W_Mule_WIP-5.jpg

So, the turning operation continued until the OD of the entire bar is now just slightly larger than 21mm, which will be the final diameter of the light.

Next operation will be to split the part, parting off what will be the battery tube. Then I'll drill and bore out the battery tube so that it can be placed on another expandable collet. From there I can then proceed to cutting the axial grooves and circumferential grooves that will create the squares.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know how to describe those pictures....it looks....delicious