wiping your feet on your national flag.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I would not wipe my feet on any Nations Flag just seems in poor taste to me.
Now while I do try to respect "Free Speech" I guess I take it far more literal than some do. Speech = speaking or talking. Talk all you want. Burning a Flag is "action" not "speech" I do not support "Free Actions" (some actions cause a reaction unfavorable and or illegal). Should it be against the law? That seems a little overboard to me so if the guy across the street wants to burn flags in his yard that's his deal not mine. He will not be burning them in my yard. Just my thoughts on this.
Topper :)

MScottz

Newly Enlightened
I don't like flag burners. But to be honest, I feel laws against it are as bad as all the "hate" laws. We never needed hate laws. Anytime someone murders ANYONE, it is a hate crime. The scary part of these laws, to me anyway, is that they try to regulate thought rather than actions. That is a road this country does not need to go down.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC most images of the US flag are considered to be poor taste. Decals on cars, images on clothes, certainly a doormat. From what I think I remember reading about US flag etiquette is that only a real flag is acceptable. There may be exceptions but I can't recall. Does that mean all the flag lapel pins our polititions wear are really in poor taste?
The question, 'What is a real flag?' is an interesting one and I end up thinking about it a few times a year. While some become very excited at the notion of any use for a flag that does not involve runing it up a pole, there are others who think nothing of changing the flag to suit their own standards of decorum. It is more ironic yet that these two groups are often composed of the same people.

Everyone knows that the US flag is red, white and blue. You can look it up online or you can look it up in a book. There are government pamphlets which describe the flag as red, white and blue. I have always found it curious that official 'flags' in Congress and the Senate and in courtrooms across the land are invariably red, white, blue and GOLD. I am at a loss as to why red, white and blue is not good enough for Presidential speeches and virtually all official acts of state. Remember, these are some of the same guys that get the most twitched out if anyone does something to a flag that they dissaprove of.

I think it's interesting that they feel (I presume) that a plain red, white and blue flag perhaps lacks the pomp and pazzazz that their very important functions demand. It's also interesting that these are precicely the guys who could officialy change the colors of our flag legally if they so desired. They prefer to just do it.

Some would certainly say it's not important and most of me agrees with that. The problem is that it is obviously very important to our lawmakers. They have seen fit to include gold fringe in specifications for flags that the government purchases, for whatever reason. I've never done anything remotely like that so it must mean more to them than I. Since they feel they can just add things, willy-nilly to the flag and take their oaths in front of it and conduct official business in front of it, how would they feel if anyone else decided to spruce up their flags with whatever they thought would look nice? I thing they'ld go ballistic at the sight of purple fringe on a flag.

It's tough to impose standards of behavior when so many dissagree on even what constitutes a flag.

I don't know why red, white and blue isn't flashy enough for lawmakers and judges but it's good enough for me.

Last edited: