would an orange peel reflector improve a maglite?

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
I have Kaidomain's MOP reflector. And it works quite well for me. Admittely, I would have liked something a little more floody. But it's certainly not halfway bad. Kaidomain also sells their 'Version 3.1' MOP reflector, which they claim has an improved beam. Not sure whether this is true. But the price is the same. I actually ordered one to try in another of my Mags. Hopefully, I will get it by Easter (the 3-4 week thing is for real!).

I did not know that there were 2 kinds. But I too wished the Kaidomain MOP Reflector I got was a little more floody....but not halfway bad.

Here is a link to the original I believe.

http://kaidomain.com/product/details.S004023

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
PA86, you should probably get the reflector on the second link. I got the V3.1 and the hotspot is still tight. Additionally from a quick check, for use with a xenon bulb, the V3.1 gave me a very spikey hotspot and artifacty spill.

I wish I had gotten the old non version 3.1's. They work good for the LED drop ins from TerraLUX and Nite-Ize though, not artifacty in the spill nor spikey in the hotspot...albeit with a pretty tight hotspot again....but they do improve the hotspot beam quality noticeably.

I might order another regular old version for the xenon and roar of pelican 5D, that I have dedicated to that purpose.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
To answer the OP's question, it does, but with the stock Mag lamps you loose the main strength of the stock light and that is throw!

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
To answer the OP's question, it does, but with the stock Mag lamps you loose the main strength of the stock light and that is throw!

Those Version 3.1 at Kaidomann retain a pretty tight hotspot.

I have a KD SMO aluminum reflector and the stock Maglite plastic reflector to do a comparison tonight. Will report back.

Last edited:

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Stormin Matt, if you dont mind, when that Version 3.1 comes in, could you elaborate on the comparison between it and the older "standard" model MOP reflector.

I goofed up and got the Version 3.1 when I was looking to broaden the spot and increase the light in the spill. If there is a big difference then I might get some of the old standard KD MOP reflectors.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Ill have to check the order in my email. But I have 1 SMO and 4 MOP. I believe the SMO is the regular version and the MOPs are the 3.1 Version.

Yes, I just checked. That is correct.

I got one SMO to use for the ROP/Xenon 5D....and just to compare and contrast with. But I didnt realize there was a difference between Version 3.1. In fact I didnt even know their were 2 kinds (of both) on offer.

If you would like to just trade one of your regular MOPs for one of my Ver. 3.1, Im up for that. Bypass the long shipping times, and we can see what is what.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
So I checked out the 5D MagLite (which currently has 6C NiMH batteries in it with a 5 Cell MagLite Xenon bulb)...with both the KD Regular Smooth Reflector and the KD Version 3.1 MOP Reflector.

Shooting out into the back yard which has a treelline at about 50 yards. The Smooth gives a nice tight spot and better overall throw, but it donut holes badly when widening the beam with the focus control. The V3.1 MOP can give you a nice tight beam as well, but not quite the throw of the Smooth, however it also allows you to increase the hotspot quite a bit without a hotspot (although the outer edge of the hotspot becomes spikey), so adds to the versatility of the light. One side of the focus (turning to the left) gives a classic donut hole like the smooth, but the other side of focus (turning to the right) gives the spikey edged artifacts however this isnt that objectionable at distance....and at widest defocus it does display a donut hole but it is muted by the MOP dispensing light to the center and thus the light becomes useable at full defocus (hotspot fully diffused to an ultrawide beam). There is a ring or two in there as well, but definitely lights up the entire back yard in a useable manner even with the muted artifacts (spikey edge, muted rings and donut hole).

So I will go with the V3.1 over the Smooth Regular...for imperfect but usable versatility at distance.

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Anyone used the aluminum reflector from Kaidomain with a Malkoff drop-in?

The main reason I ask relates to the 1/8" of length that is supposed to remain after cutting the stock reflector. I have converted one 2-D Mag with a Malkoff 2-3D drop-in and simply cut the stock reflector.

From the images on the KD site, it looks like there is a threaded portion that extends far enough as to make cutting the camming portion of the reflector unnecessary.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The problem with all the people recommending various LED drop ins is that you lose the superior rendering appearance of the incandescent bulb. I have dropped my various incandescent lights dozens of times and the bulbs never broke. I also have many lights with various LED drop-ins, so that's an option.

We need to put a collar and leash on StarHalo's Kitty! :party:

1pt21

Enlightened
Anyone used the aluminum reflector from Kaidomain with a Malkoff drop-in?

The main reason I ask relates to the 1/8" of length that is supposed to remain after cutting the stock reflector. I have converted one 2-D Mag with a Malkoff 2-3D drop-in and simply cut the stock reflector.

From the images on the KD site, it looks like there is a threaded portion that extends far enough as to make cutting the camming portion of the reflector unnecessary.

Yes, that is one of my current setups. With my KD reflector at least, you just unscrew the cam portion of the reflector (toss in in a drawer somewhere for possible later use lol) and twist the head of the light until you get the desired spot you prefer.

For me it gives the perfect balance of spot and throw, nearly artifact free. One of my favorite setups...

BTW I'm talking about the KD MOP, though I'm sure the SMO isn't any different (besides possible rings/artifacts).

Hope this helps!!!

Let It Bleed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! Answers my question perfectly.

I apologize for bringing up LED in the Incan forum. I need to remember when I do a search to be cognizant of which forum the thread is in.

I still like incans and use a stock E2e quite often. The throw from this little light still impresses me.